Need some tech help figuring out A Fender Amp footswitch issue.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Need some tech help figuring out A Fender Amp footswitch issue.

Post by Reg18 »

My Fender Proreverb has the original 2 button Vib/Trem footswitch but it’s not working anymore.
It was initially when I got the amp then it’s "past participle of get" more and more intermittent until it doesn’t work at all for vib or Trem now!
I have used contact cleaner on both the switch’s and the RCA looking connections into the amp, and I also replaced both footswitchs with some I had around to check it wasn’t them.
Still no luck!
The amp hums a lot more with the reverb knob on compared to Having it completely off.
Can someone think of a next step to try?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Need some tech help figuring out A Fender Amp footswitch issue.

Post by jeremyb »

Could be the tube that drives the trem or as simple as a burnt out resistor like in my AC15 that killed the trem, seems unlikely to be the footswitch :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

These are prone to problems. The wire is pretty fragile, so it could well be broken. I have the same issue with the one on my Princeton. I was planning to cut the cable down, which should hopefully remove the damaged section and fix the intermittent problem. I don't really understand why they come with about 3.5m of cable anyway.

I'm sure I saw a thread on TDPRI or somewhere where someone had replaced the wire with heavier stuff less prone to breaking. Haven't been able to find it again though.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote:Could be the tube that drives the trem or as simple as a burnt out resistor like in my AC15 that killed the trem, seems unlikely to be the footswitch :(
I changed the reverb tube today to check that, reverb still works just not via the footswitch. Would a dodgy resister be intermittent or just “goes or it doesn’t”?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Starfire wrote:These are prone to problems. The wire is pretty fragile, so it could well be broken. I have the same issue with the one on my Princeton. I was planning to cut the cable down, which should hopefully remove the damaged section and fix the intermittent problem. I don't really understand why they come with about 3.5m of cable anyway.

I'm sure I saw a thread on TDPRI or somewhere where someone had replaced the wire with heavier stuff less prone to breaking. Haven't been able to find it again though.
Would you say it’s likely at this end? So cut it back a few cm and resolder?
Attachments
7B0E46C1-C497-43BD-A297-D23C7DFBB67B.jpeg
7B0E46C1-C497-43BD-A297-D23C7DFBB67B.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2411 times

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

You could try it. You might be able to figure out where the likely break is if you move the footswitch and the cable around to see if you can get the reverb working again.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

If you short the socket on the back of the amp with a short piece of wire and it works ok then you will know it is the footswitch that has the issue. Do you have a multimeter to check the footswitch cable ?
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

I've had two of those Rev/Vib pedals go wonky in the past year or so, the wiring in them is atrocious.
I've given them to my amp man for an easy fix on both occasions.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Plug a TRS cable in to the footswitch socket and separately short the ring and tip with the sleeve to see if that operates the reverb / trem.