Cheapest tube amps avaliable in NZ

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

quyet
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Cheapest tube amps avaliable in NZ

Post by quyet »

Hello guys,

Not getting my hopes up :rofl: ... but

I am a bit curious about smaller tubes after learning about this little one, https://youtu.be/6UMC-t7MUDE, the Celestion Tube 15.

My god, hobby guitarists are blessed these days. Things have really changed! What's the deal with hybrid tube/SS??

I always used VOX and Peavy SS amps in the past, but maybe thinking of treating myself if these budget tube amps are available in NZ.

Any ideas? Seen anything around in the shops or imported without killer mark-up & shipping? Anyone got experience with a hybrid?

Maybe talk me out of it? :lolno:

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: Cheapest tube amps avaliable in NZ

Post by quyet »

How's Artist's reputation? Aus company importing Chinese stuff, right?

ARTIST TWEEDTONEV 5 WATT VALVE GUITAR AMPLIFIER
https://www.artistguitars.co.nz/buy/art ... fier/15471

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Post by Bg »

quyet wrote:How's Artist's reputation? Aus company importing Chinese stuff, right?

ARTIST TWEEDTONEV 5 WATT VALVE GUITAR AMPLIFIER
https://www.artistguitars.co.nz/buy/art ... fier/15471
Welcome :)

Guy in wellington iirc. If you can track down MPC second hand they should be reasonable. I think he did some upgrades on chinese imports. You're always going to suffer on speakers and cab build. But MPC seem to get a good rep.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

how about a vox ac4c1? the 12 inch speaker gives it more body imo. The handwired ones can be had 1k$ new these days, non handwired around 600$.
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mugamee »

also blues jrs can be had on trademe for 600-800$.
Fuzz Face Forever...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

I picked up an AC4C1 the 10" speakered one for $270 on tardme, shes a pearler, sounds great into a 4x12 too :mrgreen:

Artist are great to deal with, no questions asked refunds if you don't like the gear, I bought a case off them recently and it wasn't up to scratch, they arranged courier return and then refunded me when it was back in their warehouse!

Tempted to buy one of those little 5W champs!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1016 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

quyet wrote:Hello guys,

I am a bit curious about smaller tubes after learning about this little one, https://youtu.be/6UMC-t7MUDE, the Celestion Tube 15.

My god, hobby guitarists are blessed these days. Things have really changed! What's the deal with hybrid tube/SS??

I always used VOX and Peavy SS amps in the past, but maybe thinking of treating myself if these budget tube amps are available in NZ.

Any ideas? Seen anything around in the shops or imported without killer mark-up & shipping? Anyone got experience with a hybrid?

You do realise the Roland in your link is not a tube amp?
Cool. Just checking.
Unless you get lucky, buying a cheap tube amp is like buying a cheap BMW. Excellent until it breaks which it probably will. The high voltages required by these amps just don't mix with cheap construction. Many here have been lucky and I can hear them screaming at their screens but I will remind them of two things:
1. They never kept them long because hardly anyone here keeps gear for long. :rofl:
2. The same people telling you it's a good idea will also tell you how great a Katana is.

I had a Chinese 5watt head, brand name Wangs. Cost me $100 and it really was one of the best sounding amps I've owned. I loved it right up to the moment it made a serious attempt at burning my house down.

The other thing you'll find with a cheap (and often not cheap) tube amp is it has one great sound. Which is brilliant if it happens to be the sound you're looking for.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mugamee »

Slowy wrote:
quyet wrote:Hello guys,

You do realise the Roland in your link is not a tube amp?
Cool. Just checking.
Unless you get lucky, buying a cheap tube amp is like buying a cheap BMW. Excellent until it breaks which it probably will. The high voltages required by these amps just don't mix with cheap construction. Many here have been lucky and I can hear them screaming at their screens but I will remind them of two things:
1. They never kept them long because hardly anyone here keeps gear for long. :rofl:
2. The same people telling you it's a good idea will also tell you how great a Katana is.

I had a Chinese 5watt head, brand name Wangs. Cost me $100 and it really was one of the best sounding amps I've owned. I loved it right up to the moment it made a serious attempt at burning my house down.

The other thing you'll find with a cheap (and often not cheap) tube amp is it has one great sound. Which is brilliant if it happens to be the sound you're looking for.
Amen! In the long-run, prolly best to invest in a well-made tube amp, from a reputable brand and from a company that observe fair labour.
Fuzz Face Forever...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1016 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

mugamee wrote: Amen! In the long-run, prolly best to invest in a well-made tube amp, from a reputable brand and from a company that observe fair labour.
And another thing (also controversial). If you're buying a Tube amp, buy a hand wired one. Not because they sound better, they don't.

Because you can fix them.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mugamee »

Slowy wrote:
mugamee wrote: Amen! In the long-run, prolly best to invest in a well-made tube amp, from a reputable brand and from a company that observe fair labour.
And another thing (also controversial). If you're buying a Tube amp, buy a hand wired one. Not because they sound better, they don't.

jesus, you read my mind once again, slowy!
Fuzz Face Forever...

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Agree with Slowy's roundabout way of saying "buy cheap buy twice".

But if it HAS to be tube, and HAS to be $300-$400, and HAS to be now, I think the Laney Cub 10 I linked to is probably the cheapest new tube amp in NZ. And you'd be covered by the consumer guarantees act if it went bang.
https://www.musicworks.co.nz/guitar-com ... amp-combo/

AC4 for $100 more
https://www.musicmachine.co.nz/product/ ... lve-combo/

If I were you I'd probably buy a dirt cheap second hand solid state combo for now, then save up and wait for a great deal on a quality used tube amp.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:

controversial...lots of non hand wired amps can be easily fixed. I presume Marshalls have been thrown away since about 1973 when they started using PCB's, I presume Fenders about the same time. Might need to check the guts of your amps - maybe the Jansen might be ok...

You mean that Clarry doesn't like fixing some kinds of non hand wired amps...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I wouldn't buy a tube amp in that price range without trying a Boss Katana
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

It'd be hard to beat the value on that Laney - that's a good deal for a decent amp. But if you went with used amps, then you might be able to score an AC10, a Pro Jr. or a Blues Jr. for well under $1k. There's also the Epiphone Valve Jr., which is a cheap but decent one-trick-pony (and a great DIY modding platform). There's also the budget Harley Benton 15W, made by Thomann.

PCBs aren't usually a problem for repairs unless you have a major meltdown. Handwireds are definitely easier to work on, but the QC can actually be worse than PCBs - I've seen some where components were never soldered into place when they left the factory.