Cheapest tube amps avaliable in NZ

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Re: Cheapest tube amps avaliable in NZ

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Just saying.....

if you're buying a small amp and need a bigger sound - check out the Celestion G10 Vintage I'm selling - it will make a small amp sound HUGE!!

I do recommend the Pro Junior if you can get one for the right price, they are a brilliant amp. I'm in a Springstreen tribute show and pre-COVID I played some theaters with it and only got compliments. The other guitarist plays a Marshall 50 watt with a pair of 2x12s and our sound guy reckons my rig sounds just as good in the PA and with a lot less stage wash.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

Slowy wrote: You do realise the Roland in your link is not a tube amp?
Wrong link :congrats: Meant this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF20Ed2 ... jreload=10

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

Lots of great advice in this thread, thanks.

Will definitely have a go on some amps once stores open again. Guess I can't commit to a tube so soon. You are right about a cheap tube having a good sound - one good sound.

That Laney 10W looks good though...

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Slowy wrote:
quyet wrote:Hello guys,

Not getting my hopes up :rofl: ... but

I am a bit curious about smaller tubes after learning about this little one, https://youtu.be/6UMC-t7MUDE, the Celestion Tube 15.

My god, hobby guitarists are blessed these days. Things have really changed! What's the deal with hybrid tube/SS??

I always used VOX and Peavy SS amps in the past, but maybe thinking of treating myself if these budget tube amps are available in NZ.

Any ideas? Seen anything around in the shops or imported without killer mark-up & shipping? Anyone got experience with a hybrid?

Maybe talk me out of it? :lolno:
You do realise the Roland in your link is not a tube amp?
Cool. Just checking.
Unless you get lucky, buying a cheap tube amp is like buying a cheap BMW. Excellent until it breaks which it probably will. The high voltages required by these amps just don't mix with cheap construction. Many here have been lucky and I can hear them screaming at their screens but I will remind them of two things:
1. They never kept them long because hardly anyone here keeps gear for long. :rofl:
2. The same people telling you it's a good idea will also tell you how great a Katana is.

I had a Chinese 5watt head, brand name Wangs. Cost me $100 and it really was one of the best sounding amps I've owned. I loved it right up to the moment it made a serious attempt at burning my house down.

The other thing you'll find with a cheap (and often not cheap) tube amp is it has one great sound. Which is brilliant if it happens to be the sound you're looking for.
"My Wang exploded"

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7736 times
Been liked: 4180 times

Post by jeremyb »

quyet wrote:Lots of great advice in this thread, thanks.

Will definitely have a go on some amps once stores open again. Guess I can't commit to a tube so soon. You are right about a cheap tube having a good sound - one good sound.

That Laney 10W looks good though...
One thing to keep in mind though, if you're looking to jam with a drummer, a little combo isn't going to cut the mustard, at least if you got something like a Katana you will be able to explore a wide variety of tones as well as gig with it :)

You can always get a tube amp down the track if needs be, I have my little AC4 for those times, but the bulk of the time I'm using the Katana :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Don't be sucked into the whole wattage thing either. A SS 15w amp is not the same as a 15w tube amp, and even a 5w amp is plenty loud enough for most people if it's home use

Tons of great options to be had second hand, depends on what you're after. Shouldn't really go too far wrong with Laney or Vox, and FWIW the MPC amp that I had was fantastic

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Just saw this on TradeMe in case you're still looking - https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... ae3145-001
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1107 times
Been liked: 1423 times

Post by robthemac »

Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

I ummed and arred about this, but since I got my MikeC Tweed Deluxe I haven't plugged another amp in, even my beloved Valco.

I have an MPC 5 watt Champ which I would let go for $120. It has had some cap upgrades, tube upgrades and a switch which has original Champ sound, top cut and bass cut, all by MPC .

Lovely sounding amp I wasn't sure I wanted to sell, but the only use in the last 10 months was as a weight to take down belly in an acoustic. I have some pics somewhere, can't find them at the moment.

ETA: This is it as a weight :D

ImageIMG_1947 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

k1w1 wrote:I ummed and arred about this, but since I got my MikeC Tweed Deluxe I haven't plugged another amp in, even my beloved Valco.

I have an MPC 5 watt Champ which I would let go for $120. It has had some cap upgrades, tube upgrades and a switch which has original Champ sound, top cut and bass cut, all by MPC .

Lovely sounding amp I wasn't sure I wanted to sell, but the only use in the last 10 months was as a weight to take down belly in an acoustic. I have some pics somewhere, can't find them at the moment.

ETA: This is it as a weight :D

ImageIMG_1947 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr
Cool stuff, so it's a copy of the Fender Champ eh? Nice. Is MPC Australian? Sent you a pm.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Yes a Fender Champ clone with a few extra features. MPC was a guy in Gisborne who imported Chinese amps and then did a few mods/upgrades. Closed down about 2 years ago.

This is the second I have owned, gave the first to Canadian mate who liked the sound so much I gave the it to him.

ETA: Damn, my bad this is actually a 5f2a Princeton clone.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

k1w1 wrote: ETA: Damn, my bad this is actually a 5f2a Princeton clone.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

k1w1 wrote:
They're basically the same though, aren't they? Just that the Princeton has a tone control.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

k1w1 wrote:Yes a Fender Champ clone with a few extra features. MPC was a guy in Gisborne who imported Chinese amps and then did a few mods/upgrades. Closed down about 2 years ago.

This is the second I have owned, gave the first to Canadian mate who liked the sound so much I gave the it to him.

what rectifier did mpc put in these amps? just out of curiousity :)
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

It is unmarked but I think a 5Y3GT.

ImageIMG_2036 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2038 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr