5E3 vs bigger amp?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

5E3 vs bigger amp?

Post by Reg18 »

After playing with a couple of amps and cabs in a studio environment compared to my 5e3 recently, I discovered that although my 5E3 sounds great at lower volumes it lacks a little authority compared to a bigger transformer amps at higher volumes. 5e3 does have bass but doesn’t hold it together that well.
And now that I play mostly digital With IEMs (HX Stomp) live my need for an excellent low volume amp isn’t as important, I would rather choose an amp that sounded the best at whatever volume.
I also noticed in the revealing nature of a studio dead room my Alnico gold speaker, although having plenty of bass, didn’t hold it together as well as a ceramic GT75.

I have an album recording coming up and need a couple of great amps for a stereo setup but after listening to my 5e3 in the studio I’m wondering if a Deluxe Reverb or something with a few more watts might be better?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Re: 5E3 vs bigger amp?

Post by kdawg2a »

Plenty of amps here for you to borrow if need be.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

kdawg2a wrote:Plenty of amps here for you to borrow if need be.
Appreciate that! The sound engineer is really particular about me getting 2 identical amps for stereo though, if I could find 2 Deluxe reverbs I’d be a happy man....I don’t think I know anyone in CHCH with one though.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Question, does putting in a solid state Rectifier replacement damage the amp?
I’m assuming this would tighten things up and give a little more clean headroom in a 5e3?

Like this one.
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/soli ... -rectifier

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Reg18 wrote:Question, does putting in a solid state Rectifier replacement damage the amp?
I’m assuming this would tighten things up and give a little more clean headroom in a 5e3?

Like this one.
Some 5e3 mods on Rob Robinette's excellent site... He has a section on SS rectifiers
https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modificati ... ier_Switch

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Cdog wrote:
Reg18 wrote:Question, does putting in a solid state Rectifier replacement damage the amp?

Like this one.
Some 5e3 mods on Rob Robinette's excellent site... He has a section on SS rectifiers
https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modificati ... ier_Switch
Thanks for that, I used his site when giving instructions to Steve Bartlet to do my MV and 3 way NFB mods, he is wealth of knowledge on all things Tweed Deluxe and seems happy to pass on his knowledge for free as well which is cool!
I’m more keen on the plug in SS rectifier option as it’s an easy swap back to a 5y3 that way. A little concerned it may over stress my amp though, it says something about changing the voltage or something.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

That SS rectifier says it will raise the B+ by 10-20%. Going from a schematic online, that might put 446VDC on your filter caps with Tubes in, so the caps definitely need to be rated higher than that. Tubedepot even mentions that if your Caps are old, to replace them first. Running Caps at higher Voltages or Temperatures will probably shorten their lifespan. Cathode bias, so no need to rebias. Your 6V6s should probably be OK, but you may want to check the manufacturer datasheet.

Yeah, it's the sort of thing I'd try carefully with a multimeter, not just throw in. Rob mentions using Zeners as well, which could mimic the Voltage drop of the 5Y3... this would reduce sag without raising the B+. Bottom line, I'd consider this a mod, not the same as changing regular Tubes

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Hmmm, might not be worth the risk.
I love my 5e3 but got a recording coming up which the sound engineer wasn’t so keen on the sag in my amp.
He’s keen for me to use 2 identical Fender Hot Rods that he has but that sound so much different than my 5e3, no give under the fingers. Was hoping there may be a cheap and safe way to get my amp to a more usable tone for him but not loosing the 5e3 sound so much.
How’s you Fender kit shaping up?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: I love my 5e3 but got a recording coming up which the sound engineer wasn’t so keen on the sag in my amp.
Tell him Neil Young says "Get fucked!"
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Hope you can find a solution there. It's nice when someone can take charge of production decisively, but it can also be a pain too haha. I'd have thought your new Line6 could be very useful as that '2nd identical amp' you mentioned.

Ya, my kit... Well It's sitting on my bench. More than a year old now. I had planned a week off after exams specifically to finish it, but I managed to injure my back right before the exams, and have been unable to touch the project. My back pain is improving, but now I'm working again... Maybe in a few weeks I'll have another go :)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Cdog wrote:Hope you can find a solution there. It's nice when someone can take charge of production decisively, but it can also be a pain too haha. I'd have thought your new Line6 could be very useful as that '2nd identical amp' you mentioned.

Ya, my kit... Well It's sitting on my bench. More than a year old now. I had planned a week off after exams specifically to finish it, but I managed to injure my back right before the exams, and have been unable to touch the project. My back pain is improving, but now I'm working again... Maybe in a few weeks I'll have another go :)
Yes the HX Stomp is still an option but he seems to think a couple of actual amps in stereo will be the best sound, we have no restrictions on volume and he has a bunch of expensive mics and preamps etc.
It’s the next Grace album, recording live over 2 nights on the 1st and 2nd Dec.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Reg18 wrote: Yes the HX Stomp is still an option but he seems to think a couple of actual amps in stereo will be the best sound, we have no restrictions on volume and he has a bunch of expensive mics and preamps etc.
It’s the next Grace album, recording live over 2 nights on the 1st and 2nd Dec.
Sounds exciting bro :)
Well if you don't find the perfect pair, perhaps you could record the dry guitar and just re-amp the second channel in post? Hmmm... that might mess with your tasty stereo delays etc. Anyways... have fun with it!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

As much as I love my 5e3 Tweed Deluxe I think it might be time to get something with a bit more headroom.
I’ll take some pics tonight but consider this an enquires of interest post.
It has 2 head shells, the original which is a beautifully made dove jointed wooden cabinet and the one I made which is tweed covered with 2 x 6” speakers inside which makes it the perfect grab and go 5e3 tweed combo. It can keep up with a drummer even with the tiny speakers.
I guess my 1x12 ported cab with a Celestion Gold might be on the table too, depends what amp I buy to replace this.
Looking at either a Deluxe Reverb or possibly even a head and cab of some description.

BMW-KTM
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by BMW-KTM »

Deleted
Last edited by BMW-KTM on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

What about keeping the Deluxe, but running it into a 4x12 closed back for a bigger sound with tight bass?