Strymon Iridium

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Strymon Iridium

Post by chur »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:52 pm
chur wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:08 pm Iridium up against some of its peers :thumbup:

Hmm might watch that :thumbup: I thought the Ampli-Firebox would be awesome and a few have popped up for not much money recently but then found no headphone out :shock:
They say in the video you can just plug headphones into the output :)
Seems I might learn something then :D
I had read about people doing it but it was mono, and others complained about clipping after bumping the volume, but will see how these cats get on :thumbup:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

chur wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:59 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:52 pm
chur wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Hmm might watch that :thumbup: I thought the Ampli-Firebox would be awesome and a few have popped up for not much money recently but then found no headphone out :shock:
They say in the video you can just plug headphones into the output :)
Seems I might learn something then :D
I had read about people doing it but it was mono, and others complained about clipping after bumping the volume, but will see how these cats get on :thumbup:
I have the Iridium. You can use the headphone out but must still earth the unit via one of the outputs to an amp (or stuff it up your hoop - whatever works). Without the earthing via an output it's fucking noisy.

hoop.JPG
hoop.JPG (125.64 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

FWIW I'm hoping there will be a firmware update for the Iridium. I find it kind of flat and uninspiring. Quite a minimal range on each amp. Maybe I'm judging it too harshly as I've not tried it as intended. I've not recorded with it or played it into a FRFR thing (unless the aux input on my stereo counts).

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm I find it kind of flat and uninspiring.
One thing you can depend upon with Strymon ( hides behind sofa for inbound flak ).
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:52 pm
Molly wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm I find it kind of flat and uninspiring.
One thing you can depend upon with Strymon ( hides behind sofa for inbound flak ).
STERILEMON.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Molly wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm FWIW I'm hoping there will be a firmware update for the Iridium. I find it kind of flat and uninspiring. Quite a minimal range on each amp. Maybe I'm judging it too harshly as I've not tried it as intended. I've not recorded with it or played it into a FRFR thing (unless the aux input on my stereo counts).
Tried any different IR's in it? Maybe they are to blame.

This all got me inspired to dig out my old AMT Pangaea CP100 tonight and try the preamp/poweramp sim in that. Basically a poor man's Torpedo CAB-M.
No natural breakup to be had, but sounds nice clean, and with a dirt pedal in front I thought it was decent enough.
Great little headphone amp with Celestion IR's loaded.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Molly wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm FWIW I'm hoping there will be a firmware update for the Iridium. I find it kind of flat and uninspiring. Quite a minimal range on each amp. Maybe I'm judging it too harshly as I've not tried it as intended. I've not recorded with it or played it into a FRFR thing (unless the aux input on my stereo counts).
I’ve tried even with different paid IRs and still feel the same hence why I’ve just sold it!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

They were always going to struggle up against the other options on the market which have had wayyyyy more R&D put into them, have you guys tried an HX Stomp?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:28 am They were always going to struggle up against the other options on the market which have had wayyyyy more R&D put into them, have you guys tried an HX Stomp?
yeap! I had (still have) the Kemper, HX Stomp, and Iridium, sold the Iridium recently and kept the HX Stomp, also still have the Kemper :oops:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Finally had a decent sit-down with the Chime setting. Realised I've been using it all wrong, with everything at 12 o'clock.

Current got it set with gain at 2, bass at 11, mid knob rolled right off, treble at 1. That gives it the full AC-30 top boost sound. Honestly I prefer this to any Vox I've played in real life.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

robthemac wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 pm Finally had a decent sit-down with the Chime setting. Realised I've been using it all wrong, with everything at 12 o'clock.

Current got it set with gain at 2, bass at 11, mid knob rolled right off, treble at 1. That gives it the full AC-30 top boost sound. Honestly I prefer this to any Vox I've played in real life.
I'll give this a go tomorrow. :-)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Enjoy!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.