HX Stomp,dialing it in and first impressions.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: HX Stomp,dialing it in and first impressions.

Post by jeremyb »

Any tone in isolation is useless IMHO, needs to be tuned in a band context, more so with digital units in my experience :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Spent a little time tweaking my Matchless preset with a pair of JBL home theatre speakers tonight which meant a bit less bass and some more top end.
Im not sure it sounds that much different from the last one which I dialled in with my headphones?

Edit: listening to it I think the tone is a little dull, I’m looking for string noise and sharpness of the note attack.
Looks like I might need to invest in some proper flat response monitors.
Attachments
Stomp8.mp3
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
Last edited by Reg18 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Reg18 wrote:Spent a little time tweaking my Matchless preset with a pair of JBL home theatre speakers tonight which meant a bit less bass and some more top end.
Im not sure it sounds that much different from the last one which I dialled in with my headphones?
Nice!
And the tones were pretty good too.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

something to consider https://jetpedals.com/products/jet-micro
Reg18 wrote:
kwhelan wrote:
Reg18 wrote:what do people recommend to use for dialing in tones for live use.
I’m now running a Flint reverb after the HX Stomp so I either need to buy a headphone amp to come out of the Flint in stereo to plug my head phones in or invest in some studio monitors to play it through.
The presets do sound very different through a pair of home theatre speakers than my headphones so I’m guessing I’ll need some more neutral speakers?
why did you feel the need to have an external reverb, just curious that something like a helix couldn't cover a decent reverb patch and switch it in an out as required.
I thought your patches were pretty damn good from your earlier posts
Yes you are right, the Helix has great reverbs! However the HX Stomp has only got 6 blocks and runs out of DSP If you load it up to much.
I’m liking the sound of stereo amps too which technically takes up 4 blocks by the time you have 2 amps and 2 IRs.
I’m still trying to get my head around using Stomp mode/Snapshot mode and presets. At this stage I’ll keep the Flint incase but I reckon if I buy a midi controller and use an extra Aux switch I’d be able to do a bit of a work around to get everything out of the Stomp for a whole set.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

[quote="KNNZ"]something to consider https://jetpedals.com/products/jet-micro

[quote="Reg18"][quote="kwhelan"]

That looks like exactly what I need, might not even need a seperate aux switch with that one!
Thanks for the link!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Looking into better solutions for monitoring my HX Stomp at home and dialing in sounds.
I’m currently using my IEM headphones to set up tones and although I don’t need to alter to much when I get to the venue I’d like something more accurate.
Budget is low for this so I’ve been looking at cheaper studio monitors but also wondering if
A Blackstar Fly 3 (with ext cab so it can be stereo) would work? I know it uses FRFR speakers so is there any reason why it wouldn’t work? Or even a Katana Mini?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Studio monitors would be a better option IMO, if you don't need a dedicated FRFR unit, that said the new katana mk II has a new input to use it as a FRFR speaker!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Reg18 wrote:Looking into better solutions for monitoring my HX Stomp at home and dialing in sounds.
I’m currently using my IEM headphones to set up tones and although I don’t need to alter to much when I get to the venue I’d like something more accurate.
Budget is low for this so I’ve been looking at cheaper studio monitors but also wondering if
A Blackstar Fly 3 (with ext cab so it can be stereo) would work? I know it uses FRFR speakers so is there any reason why it wouldn’t work? Or even a Katana Mini?
I don't play live currently but I have studio monitors, a pair of FUCKME loud headrush FRFR and also headphones.

If you're dialing in tones for live work, nothings going to be the same as front of house. But you'll never hear that anyway.

But if you want to be sure, you need a big hefty FRFR and turn it up loud. Or Two. At gig vol.

Same as any setup really. Back in the days of 'The Manor' while I was gigging, whenever I changed my rig, I'd book a session with the cap, and spend an hour tweaking stuff at gig volume. Anything else is guesswork.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Bg wrote:
Reg18 wrote:Looking into better solutions for monitoring my HX Stomp at home and dialing in sounds.
I don't play live currently but I have studio monitors, a pair of FUCKME loud headrush FRFR and also headphones.

If you're dialing in tones for live work, nothings going to be the same as front of house. But you'll never hear that anyway.

But if you want to be sure, you need a big hefty FRFR and turn it up loud. Or Two. At gig vol.

Same as any setup really. Back in the days of 'The Manor' while I was gigging, whenever I changed my rig, I'd book a session with the cap, and spend an hour tweaking stuff at gig volume. Anything else is guesswork.
People keep saying this however I’ve found using my cheap headphones gets me pretty close, like if I couldn’t be bothered tweaking the EQ slightly it would still be totally usable live. I’m hoping there is an option somewhere in between buying half a PA system and my cheap IEMs

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Reg18 wrote:
Bg wrote:

People keep saying this however I’ve found using my cheap headphones gets me pretty close, like if I couldn’t be bothered tweaking the EQ slightly it would still be totally usable live. I’m hoping there is an option somewhere in between buying half a PA system and my cheap IEMs
mmmm. ok. buy better headphones? :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Riff.mp3
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
Thought id share some of the sounds I've been getting from the HX Stomp with a dual IR setup.
It has the most realistic sound in my headphones to run parallel IRs with one amp that I think I've had so far.
Using a Vox Blue IR on one side and Marshall G12M 4x12 on the other.
65% mix L&R going into the IRs and 100& L&R coming out, don't ask me why I just kept adjusting until it sounded right to my ears.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Sounds good.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Saturating toans! Good sounds there reg :)