HX Stomp,dialing it in and first impressions.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: HX Stomp,dialing it in and first impressions.

Post by Reg18 »

Downloading some more HX Stomp presets and ding some more tweaking to suit my needs.
This is a Plexi ish one I downloaded which I'm liking quite a bit so far.

Stomp 1 uses 2 delays all from the stomp
Stomp 2 is the same
Stomp 3 I used a Tone Bender MK2 for the lead going into the stomp.
Attachments
Stomp1.mp3
(11.5 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Stomp2.mp3
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 150 times
Stomp3.mp3
(771.76 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Seeing how it sounds in a track, gotta love those Garage band drums!
Stomp5 is my tack on a Tom Petty style track with a Deluxe Revrb model dialled in to something in the ballpark.
Attachments
Stomp5.mp3
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 160 times
Stomp4.mp3
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 170 times

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

Reg18 wrote:Seeing how it sounds in a track, gotta love those Garage band drums!
Stomp5 is my tack on a Tom Petty style track with a Deluxe Revrb model dialled in to something in the ballpark.
Nice. Sounds great.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Reg18 wrote:
Eruera wrote:Is there a graceful way of switching between clean and dirty sounds without a dropout? Or do you have to use two blocks for different amps?
I setup FS1 to turn up the gain on the amp when engaged and it’s seemless that way, I haven’t tried switching to a different amp mid song yet but I am finding switching what they call snapshots there is a noticeable drop out which is annoying.
might be some confusion here: changing Patches will cause a tiny drop out - about a 20th of a second. Unnoticeable in most situations but shows up if you have notes sustaining.
Changing snaphots is seamless...there is not drop out.

I have never been able to hear patch changing mutes in any of the gig recordings I did before the Snapshots were added in an upgrade...but I understand some styles of Metal etc might have to use snapshots.
I do use snaps in my current patches just cos I like them. ...and I have never purchased a patch and I can't recall ever deciding to edit bias etc. I use it exactly they way I would the actual hardware.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Lawrence wrote:
Reg18 wrote:
Eruera wrote:Is there a graceful way of switching between clean and dirty sounds without a dropout? Or do you have to use two blocks for different amps?
I setup FS1 to turn up the gain on the amp when engaged and it’s seemless that way, I haven’t tried switching to a different amp mid song yet but I am finding switching what they call snapshots there is a noticeable drop out which is annoying.
might be some confusion here: changing Patches will cause a tiny drop out - about a 20th of a second. Unnoticeable in most situations but shows up if you have notes sustaining.
Changing snaphots is seamless...there is not drop out.

I have never been able to hear patch changing mutes in any of the gig recordings I did before the Snapshots were added in an upgrade...but I understand some styles of Metal etc might have to use snapshots.
I do use snaps in my current patches just cos I like them. ...and I have never purchased a patch and I can't recall ever deciding to edit bias etc. I use it exactly they way I would the actual hardware.

I was getting a bit confused between snapshots and presets I think, yes you are right snapshots has no noticeable drop out but if you change between presets it does. Can you change amps between snapshots? Like have a Fender on Snapshot 1 and a Plexi on Snapshot 2 for clean/dirty channels?

Bias does make a great difference to the feel and looseness of the sound, it doesn’t do much if your master is set low though and it effects some amps more than others. On the AC30 and Matchless models tweaking the Bias and Bias X controls lowers the gain quite a lot if you have them higher, and if you lower them to say 25% it loosens up the amp and has more gain. I haven’t adjusted these on presets I’ve bought though, just when I’m dialing in an amp myself.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

actually yes...I have several patches with a clean amp , say the deluxe, and a dirty amp, say the Trainwreck. Using snapshots I can have several clean settings (from clean to edge to grit) and several drive levels, all on one patch. add a tape echo, wah and a phaser and that is 99% of the guitar repertoire!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

what do people recommend to use for dialing in tones for live use.
I’m now running a Flint reverb after the HX Stomp so I either need to buy a headphone amp to come out of the Flint in stereo to plug my head phones in or invest in some studio monitors to play it through.
The presets do sound very different through a pair of home theatre speakers than my headphones so I’m guessing I’ll need some more neutral speakers?

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

Reg18 wrote:what do people recommend to use for dialing in tones for live use.
in this land of confusion there is, wonderfully, only ONE correct answer to this question.

Dial in your sounds with the same speakers you will use live...If you are going straight to the FOH, use the best flat monitor you can....and, do this at the same volume that you expect to be playing at live.
GrantB wrote:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I’m now running a Flint reverb after the HX Stomp so I either need to buy a headphone amp to come out of the Flint in stereo to plug my head phones in or invest in some studio monitors to play it through.
The presets do sound very different through a pair of home theatre speakers than my headphones so I’m guessing I’ll need some more neutral speakers?
Stereo headrush 12"s /smugness
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Lawrence wrote:
in this land of confusion there is, wonderfully, only ONE correct answer to this question.

Dial in your sounds with the same speakers you will use live...If you are going straight to the FOH, use the best flat monitor you can....and, do this at the same volume that you expect to be playing at live.
Yeah figured it might be the only accurate way. Does this mean my IEM mix will sound thin and crappy though?
Seems as though everyone is saying cut bass below 100hz and cut some treble as well to get a good mix with the Helix. It seems this digital learning curve is curveyer than I thought!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Maybe you need to bring in a outboard eq for your IEM? If its sounding great FOH, you don't want to mess with that. Only guessing

Its important that you're happy too, else you'll fell pissed off with your performance and it will show - so maybe a seperate eq for your in ears will allow you to dial in what you're missing and you can play your little heart out!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

why did you feel the need to have an external reverb, just curious that something like a helix couldn't cover a decent reverb patch and switch it in an out as required.
I thought your patches were pretty damn good from your earlier posts

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

It took me years really to fine tune how to get good tone from a valve amp and pedals and matching them with a great guitar! Looks like a might need a good number of gigs under my belt with the HX to really fine tune it to it’s full potential.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

kwhelan wrote:
why did you feel the need to have an external reverb, just curious that something like a helix couldn't cover a decent reverb patch and switch it in an out as required.
I thought your patches were pretty damn good from your earlier posts
Yes you are right, the Helix has great reverbs! However the HX Stomp has only got 6 blocks and runs out of DSP If you load it up to much.
I’m liking the sound of stereo amps too which technically takes up 4 blocks by the time you have 2 amps and 2 IRs.
I’m still trying to get my head around using Stomp mode/Snapshot mode and presets. At this stage I’ll keep the Flint incase but I reckon if I buy a midi controller and use an extra Aux switch I’d be able to do a bit of a work around to get everything out of the Stomp for a whole set.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I think IEM’s take some getting used to as well. They’re probably one of the most practical advancements in live sound gear there is/was, but I really struggled when I’ve used them in the past. I’ll go good monitors wherever possible.
However, I’d be interested in hearing an expensive, tour-grade setup and how much they differ from the sort of middle priced setups I’ve tried and failed to gel with though. It’s all personal preference I guess.
Interesting that it seems to be IEM’s or the highway in some situations nowadays!
All the best for working it out :thumbup: