Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3177
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: Under a bridge,somewhere in chch.
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 305 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Kris »

True! Well as ive said in the past i might be keen to take it of ya hands if its got a layer of dust on it.Inherited back my old VH100R and that thing only knows tropical cyclone levels of volume.

User avatar
Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2430
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Reg18 »

chur wrote:
Kris wrote:
Reg18 wrote:I’m no expert but in theory it can act as a straight power amp from what I’ve read. Curious to see what you end up with as I’ve been considering a Kemper Floor unit with a smaller power amp
Like the Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 as well. Would need to sell my whole rig to do it though and I just love my 5e3 so not sure I can follow through.

How’s the cab sound?
Did you ever try running the 5e3 thru chur's badcat unleash? (assuming he turned up to one of the gearfests ive skipped in the last while).way better option than a SD as far as load box/small amp to gig sound goes.
Nah I haven't been a to a gearfest to date. I do still have an Unleash V2 laying about doing not much nowadays. Only way I'm playing my valve amps nowadays is via a Captor and IR loader.
I’ve got a power Attenuator/load box and an IR loader to run with 5e3 already, I was more saying I’d have to sell my 5e3 and all my pedals to be able to afford a Kemper Floor unit. Not sure I’m prepared to let my real amp go just yet but the Kemper is tempting!

User avatar
chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by chur »

Reg18 wrote:
chur wrote:
Kris wrote:
Did you ever try running the 5e3 thru chur's badcat unleash? (assuming he turned up to one of the gearfests ive skipped in the last while).way better option than a SD as far as load box/small amp to gig sound goes.
Nah I haven't been a to a gearfest to date. I do still have an Unleash V2 laying about doing not much nowadays. Only way I'm playing my valve amps nowadays is via a Captor and IR loader.
I’ve got a power Attenuator/load box and an IR loader to run with 5e3 already, I was more saying I’d have to sell my 5e3 and all my pedals to be able to afford a Kemper Floor unit. Not sure I’m prepared to let my real amp go just yet but the Kemper is tempting!
If not in a rush I'd say save up so you can have both, at least until you have had time to gel with the floor unit to ensure you can live with it alone. You can give it a fair chance then, without pining over the amp you lost.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

User avatar
chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by chur »

Kris wrote:True! Well as ive said in the past i might be keen to take it of ya hands if its got a layer of dust on it.Inherited back my old VH100R and that thing only knows tropical cyclone levels of volume.
Oh, I actually had two and sold one a while ago to buy... something that I now forget.. must have been important :eh: I think I'll keep this current one, as no way I can play with the JMP without it.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

User avatar
Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2430
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Reg18 »

chur wrote:
If not in a rush I'd say save up so you can have both, at least until you have had time to gel with the floor unit to ensure you can live with it alone. You can give it a fair chance then, without pining over the amp you lost.
I wish it was the case, got a long standing deal with the wife that I’ve gotta sell something to buy something, she doesn’t care what I buy mind, just as long as the money doesn’t come out of anything except my guitar account!
Actually starting to think maybe an HX Stomp or AX8 would be a cheaper alternative and then I could keep some of my stuff.

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 18936
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 1969 times
Been liked: 2553 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Molly »

Well, I've gone and ordered them. Credit card was straining under the weight... :oops: So this'll be my rig really.

Image

The '2' version of this:

Image

And this:

Image

User avatar
Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:44 am
Location: Dunedin
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 228 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Dharmajester »

Think I'd use the floor unit from inside a large transparent plastic bag if it was a pub gig though :)

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 18936
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 1969 times
Been liked: 2553 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:Think I'd use the floor unit from inside a large transparent plastic bag if it was a pub gig though :)
Already thinking I need to make a perspex cover for it. I'm sure the aftermarket will be all over it. Maybe Durex will make one. :-)

User avatar
chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by chur »

Is the display on that unit big enough to read/see standing up? Looks a nudge small.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

User avatar
StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4042
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:41 pm
Location: Between a rock and a blues place
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 459 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by StratMatt »

Sweet setup Molly, you new age techo you.
All rock and roll bands are on the verge of breaking up at all times.

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 18936
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 1969 times
Been liked: 2553 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:Is the display on that unit big enough to read/see standing up? Looks a nudge small.
Don't know but it apparently does some auto contrast thing depending on conditions.

User avatar
Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2430
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Reg18 »

I’d love to see Kemper do a similar thing to the HX Stomp, like a smaller version to fit on a pedal board for just loading amp models, forget about the effects and make it half the price! Now that’s something I’d buy in a heart beat.

I like how your rig has the matching green cab and Kemper, looks like it was meant to be a pair.

User avatar
KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2047
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm
Location: Orewa
Has liked: 1511 times
Been liked: 508 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by KNNZ »

Reg18 wrote:I’d love to see Kemper do a similar thing to the HX Stomp, like a smaller version to fit on a pedal board for just loading amp models, forget about the effects and make it half the price! Now that’s something I’d buy in a heart beat.

I like how your rig has the matching green cab and Kemper, looks like it was meant to be a pair.
the HXS is awesome, I have both the HXS and KPR. If Kemper comes up with a stomp version the screen will be the size of a fitbit watch :lol:

User avatar
Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2430
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Reg18 »

KNNZ wrote:
Reg18 wrote:I’d love to see Kemper do a similar thing to the HX Stomp, like a smaller version to fit on a pedal board for just loading amp models, forget about the effects and make it half the price! Now that’s something I’d buy in a heart beat.

I like how your rig has the matching green cab and Kemper, looks like it was meant to be a pair.
the HXS is awesome, I have both the HXS and KPR. If Kemper comes up with a stomp version the screen will be the size of a fitbit watch :lol:
I need to go try one of these HX Stomps, I saw one go for $700 on FB last week but I wasn’t quite cashed up to grab it. How do you find the amp sounds compared to the Kemper?

Note: Sorry Molly for highjacking your thread and making it a general Kemper chat!

User avatar
KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2047
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm
Location: Orewa
Has liked: 1511 times
Been liked: 508 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by KNNZ »

$700 was a bargain really! the last one i saw on sale was on TM and it went quickly with a buynow of $1000 even! with a bit of tweaking, honestly it can sound very close to the Kemper, your crowd won't even tell the difference, but with the Kemper you get the feel of a real amp, can't really compare though, the HXS is a minimalist approach, on the fly rig etc

Post Reply