The NZG MTS Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Re: The NZG MTS Thread

Post by Mattallica »

Nice, glad it has a good home. I also wish they made a 6v6/el84 version of that power amp, that is more my thing.
and somehow fit it into a 1U package would be amazing.

You could get there with JJ 6v6 and yellowjackets for the EL84s in the RT2/50 but that's really stretching it.

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

I seem to have bought another RM100 w/ 3 stock modules. So that's 2xRM100s an RM4 and an RT2/50. I think I'll sell the RM100 empty to my mate who also has an RM100 because he wants to experiment with a stereo setup. But now I've got some new spare modules to experiment with. a Blackface, Recto and a Mr Scary. From what I can find, the Mr Scary is a modded JCM800 style pre? Could be nice without mucking about with it. Got lots of other projects on right now though, replacing the fans in the RM4 and RT2/50 with some quiet ones tonight after I installed the Yuneo dual channel mods in the RM4 and cathode biasing switch on the weekend.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Mr Scary has good reviews as a great sounding JCM800.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Good score on the auction Bryan, hopefully it makes it to you in one piece.
Think all the Lynch mods are all solid in their own right as they were tweaked by Mr. Friedman, so yeah, try it as is. Not that I've got to try any. Wouldn't mind a photo of the PCBs if you could manage.
I also still need to get around to replacing all the fans in my units. Particularly my RM20 so that the silent mode is actually silent...

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

I think you have two blackface modules now? I modded one and it turned into a stay clean/pushed clean kind of sound, rather than breaking up like the stock module. Kinda limited but pretty cool.

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

Mattallica wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:41 pm Good score on the auction Bryan, hopefully it makes it to you in one piece.
It's been dropped off to my sisters place in Auckland, so I'll probably get her to send the modules down and then I'll grab the amp itself some other time when I'm further up the island. It certainly seemed like a decent as deal. I have a feeling I either sold or gave away my other blackface, so only have one. I never liked it anyway, so I'll be planning some mods. I'll stick photos on my todo list.

*edit* oh crap, was that you I outbid? sorry bout that, I didn't even look.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

moliere wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:54 pm
Mattallica wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:41 pm Good score on the auction Bryan, hopefully it makes it to you in one piece.
It's been dropped off to my sisters place in Auckland, so I'll probably get her to send the modules down and then I'll grab the amp itself some other time when I'm further up the island. It certainly seemed like a decent as deal. I have a feeling I either sold or gave away my other blackface, so only have one. I never liked it anyway, so I'll be planning some mods. I'll stick photos on my todo list.

*edit* oh crap, was that you I outbid? sorry bout that, I didn't even look.
Yeah If I was bidding I would have been in it for the modules with the head being an inconvenient bonus.
You don't need to do anything extensive to get the blackface sounding nice, just a few component tweaks.
Always keen to see what mods people are planning.
Nah I was bidding on the one before that music works did for $1 reserve but have since spent that cash on other stuff

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:54 pm No bids on this one https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=E5RZnfnK
About a couple hundred too much I feel and he won't ship. Which I can understand as they are heavy mofos. He started at $1000 a couple months ago which is about the same as the NOS at musicworks. The thumb screws are missing from one module, which is strange

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

Just listened to a demo of the new Synergy Diezel Herbert compared with the VH4. I'm really vibing on the VH4 personally. Anyone getting rid of one locally?

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

moliere wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:22 pm Just listened to a demo of the new Synergy Diezel Herbert compared with the VH4. I'm really vibing on the VH4 personally. Anyone getting rid of one locally?
Hmm I am holding one. Could let it go to try a different flavour. Don't suppose you have an Engl Powerball?

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

Nah, my Synergy collection is very small unfortunately, just the Friedman BE and the Synergy OS I got in this very thread.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Aight. If I can find another module to take it's place i'll let you know. They're a bit thin on the ground atm. Hopefully BAD start cranking them out.

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

Sweet man, if you find something, hit me up.

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

OK, spent some time with the Synergy OS and Friedman BE. For the friedman thing I'm preferring my JJ Dirt still, maybe the HBE would have been better for me. And I just don't have the use for the OS at the moment, nothing I'm doing needs those tones.

so... anyone want to do some synergy swapsies? I'd love to try a IICP+

loving my VH4 though, that's not going anywhere.