NAD: Ceriatone 18W TMB EF86 Head

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

NAD: Ceriatone 18W TMB EF86 Head

Post by Miza »

After 9 long weeks, and a GST payment, its finally here. Well ok, I got in on Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to get on here till now.

Looks absolutely beautiful (sorry I can't upload pics - can't get them under 100KB! - will try next week though from work). Vintage Marshall head looks.

Sounds even better. The EF86 channel is awesome, has that chimey bite of a of cranked Vox AC15.

The TBM channel is a little darker sounding, and more classic Marshall. It's got a full tone stack (TMB) and a Master vol, but I was surprised at the lack of gain on tap to be honest. Still, with a push from the TS-9 its all good.

Got a couple of add-ons too, a half power switch and an FX loop.

Now I need a cab to run i through. Currently running it through a HRDx with a V30, which I don't like. Too much bass. Want to build or buy a cheap cab and eventually put some greenbacks in it. Considering combining a 12" and a 10" as well.
Nothing to see here.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: NAD: Ceriatone 18W TMB EF86 Head

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Sounds good, can't wait for the pics.

Reduce the pics with paint, under tools, resize/crop and try 50%x50% and save.
Is it like this?

He may have tweaked the circuit for higher headroom, which is a fairly easy thing to change if you have a good tech handy or can do this stuff yourself. You can lower headroom by increasing resistor values on the plate resistor and having more resistance on the B+ (If my memory is working right :roll: ), anyway it's simple to get done.
If you like the tone, perhaps sticking with a pedal boost will be the thing to do. I could get a lot more overdrive from my amp's circuit, but have chosen not too because I like the tone as is.
I bet the amp looks really nice too.
You might find the too much bass is coming from the circuit as well. Lowering the value of the cathode bypass cap will get rid of any woofy, flubby bass but keep the tone still nice and thick.
1x12 with a heritage greenback would probably be the one for this?
There is a forum devoted to these amps somewhere, I think it's called 18watt dot com. They will have lots of ideas and clip that show what your amp is capable of.

Also..he uses Mallorys and they can take uo to 60 odd hours to break in. So expect the amp to start sounding sweeter in the next few weeks.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Are'nt they just great? :mrgreen: Love mine. Its my fave. And loud as all hell. Blows me away how much power they have for only 18 watt. Very versatile. I run a Eminence Red Fang with mine. Its the only speaker I've tried and I have no reason to change it at all. Very suited. As for your pictures I use Pixresizer. Easy to use and free.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Thanks guys. Yeah it really is sweet.

I'm on a really ond Mac, and I'm pretty restricted with what I can do nowadays. I'll just wait till next week.

It looks exactly like the shot posted above anyway, except it has the MV control in the top input of the TMB channel.

I'll probably use it for a few weeks/months and really get used to it before I go fiddling round with it (or have it fiddled with rather). But yeah the bass is pretty intense, even with the bass knob rolled off! Still I find the tone controls are pretty passive, they don't have a huge effect over the tone.

I actually kinda wish the EF86 was in the TMB channel. I like the OD sound of it much better, its just more aggressive/raunchier.

I have a Tung Sol 12AX7 sitting in my drawer that I have never used. It was purchased from TubeDepot and was selected as a high gain option (120 something as opposed to 100 something I think). Which preamp position should I try that in - is it V2?

The other thing I have found, and again you other Ceriatone 18W owners might be able to help with, is that the EF8 channel is a bit buzzy. I asked Nik about it and he didn't seem to think it sounded normal? Is it? The TMB channel is totally quiet.
Nothing to see here.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Give it a few week of play and those things may go away as the components break in.
Usually you would put that tube in V1, but if that has got the different tube type in, V2 would be it. Either way, taking out any ECC83/12ax7 and replacing with the Tung Sol is safe. Depends where you like the sound of it, as to what slot you put it in.
Main thing though, get some hour on the amp before changing anything.

Edit V0 is the EF86, so V1 is the next one along. That's the first place to try the Tung Sol.
http://ceriatone.com/images/layoutPic/m ... iatone.jpg
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

the buzziness will be a gain thing, these amps aren't quiet, thats half the enjoyment of them. I have plans on my harddrive for a 1x12 18 watt marshall cab, I used them for my 2x12, just increase the dimensions a bit or do diagonal like I did. These amps have to have greenbacks, they're a perfect match. Are you running a valve rec with it? You can increase response by using a copper can webber or I can dig out the cct diagram for it and you can make your own... you just need an old valve base. I run a bottle/copper can/ss rectifier in there depending how I feel. Bottle for blues ;)

My TMB channels is really really gainy, its got the earliest breakup of the two, but I like the clean normal channel the best, I didn't build the ef channel just a lower gain vol/tone one which sounds awesome with LP and greenback. Mine will be repaired this weekend, I miss it way too much! I even miss the 'expectant' humm, like you know you're playing with the gat vol rolled off to about 4 and its lovely and clean and responsive, roll it up and everyone is going to shit themselves :D Jumpered is even better, and AB switch between hi-gain/lo-gain inputs is awesome!

half powers for pussies, 2x the power is better, only in the office though, I don't get past about 4 or 5 at gigs :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Aquila Rosso wrote:Give it a few week of play and those things may go away as the components break in.
Usually you would put that tube in V1, but if that has got the different tube type in, V2 would be it. Either way, taking out any ECC83/12ax7 and replacing with the Tung Sol is safe. Depends where you like the sound of it, as to what slot you put it in.
Main thing though, get some hour on the amp before changing anything.
Oh, and don't invalidate your warranty! :roll:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

BG wrote:the buzziness will be a gain thing, these amps aren't quiet, thats half the enjoyment of them. I have plans on my harddrive for a 1x12 18 watt marshall cab, I used them for my 2x12, just increase the dimensions a bit or do diagonal like I did. These amps have to have greenbacks, they're a perfect match. Are you running a valve rec with it? You can increase response by using a copper can webber or I can dig out the cct diagram for it and you can make your own... you just need an old valve base. I run a bottle/copper can/ss rectifier in there depending how I feel. Bottle for blues ;)

My TMB channels is really really gainy, its got the earliest breakup of the two, but I like the clean normal channel the best, I didn't build the ef channel just a lower gain vol/tone one which sounds awesome with LP and greenback. Mine will be repaired this weekend, I miss it way too much! I even miss the 'expectant' humm, like you know you're playing with the gat vol rolled off to about 4 and its lovely and clean and responsive, roll it up and everyone is going to shit themselves :D Jumpered is even better, and AB switch between hi-gain/lo-gain inputs is awesome!

half powers for pussies, 2x the power is better, only in the office though, I don't get past about 4 or 5 at gigs :D
Yeah the ef86 is definately gainier. Nicer sounding too.
AR: yep ef86 is the first preamp tube on left, then the 3 12ax7's. So you reckon replace the first one? I'll prob try all positions to be sure.
The half power switch didn't make it much quieter tbh. Just broke up sooner. And was noisier!
So does half power just cut out one of the el84's?
Nothing to see here.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

babytaylor wrote:
BG wrote:the buzziness will be a gain thing, these amps aren't quiet, thats half the enjoyment of them. I have plans on my harddrive for a 1x12 18 watt marshall cab, I used them for my 2x12, just increase the dimensions a bit or do diagonal like I did. These amps have to have greenbacks, they're a perfect match. Are you running a valve rec with it? You can increase response by using a copper can webber or I can dig out the cct diagram for it and you can make your own... you just need an old valve base. I run a bottle/copper can/ss rectifier in there depending how I feel. Bottle for blues ;)

Yeah the ef86 is definately gainier. Nicer sounding too.
AR: yep ef86 is the first preamp tube on left, then the 3 12ax7's. So you reckon replace the first one? I'll prob try all positions to be sure.
The half power switch didn't make it much quieter tbh. Just broke up sooner. And was noisier!
Half power switch won't have much effect really, to halve the effective 'power' etc, you'd need a 1/10 power switch...

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

babytaylor wrote: The half power switch didn't make it much quieter tbh. Just broke up sooner. And was noisier!
The half-power switch will be a pentode/triode switch. Bear in mind that switching to half power should in theory only drop the volume by 3dB. And yeah, "triode" operation will be noisier (it doesn't technically turn the tube into a triode, it simply connects the screen grid to the plate).

If you want to try tube substitution on the TMB channel, V1 (next to V0 EF86) and V3 would be the slots to try - it's a slightly odd layout in that V2 is the phase inverter (you'd typically expect V3 to be the phase inverter).
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Yah, what BG said...I played my Marshall last night and it is wayyyyy too loud. Looking as we speak for a master volume mod....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Yah, what BG said...I played my Marshall last night and it is wayyyyy too loud. Looking as we speak for a master volume mod....
I played one of Ryan's modded JCM800s through a 4x12. He had added a post phase inverter master volume. It's a wonderful tool for getting great tone at lower volume, almost like an attentuator. Well worth checking out.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Here are some photos.
Ceriatone 18W TMB EF86 Head
Ceriatone 18W TMB EF86 Head
Amp front 1.jpg
That funny smudge was on the camera lense I think.
Back panel
Back panel
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

And a close up of the extras on the back panel.
Close up of back
Close up of back
Not sure why the FX loop is labeled the way it is? Haven't used it yet but I'm hoping that's what it is?
Nothing to see here.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Looks very decent indeed. What did it cost you?