amp shield.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

otisredding
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 2 times

Re: amp shield.

Post by otisredding »

crowbgood1 wrote:I'm gonna make one of these for my home studio.
Good luck. I tried. I ended up going out and buying the SE Electronics version and OMG what a stellar difference tracking vocals and acoustic.... it really works. :!:

Totally diff. kettle of fish to the live perspex things though eh bro... 8)

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

otisredding wrote:
Good luck. I tried. I ended up going out and buying the SE Electronics version and OMG what a stellar difference tracking vocals and acoustic.... it really works. :!:

Totally diff. kettle of fish to the live perspex things though eh bro... 8)
Yep totally... just saw the pic and it reminded me....been trying to track vocals in my horrible little "squeaky" room. The singer doesn't like much makeup (delay,reverb). Where did you get yours?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

my mate has a neoprene sleeping bag thingy he climbs inside .. can get hot though :lol:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

NZRS_Matt wrote:I'd imagine JB uses them cos you have to crank the tits off those Marshalls to get them into "the Zone" - and that would be LOUD.... The perspex would help disperse the sound a lot better.
Nah its to stop my son messing with the speaker cones :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Jops wrote:I've used a perspex shield before but only cos the amp was 2feet from the drums and mic'd. I imagine JB uses the perspex cos he records his live shows.
Isolation booths and/or baffles are used in a studio to prevent spill-over from various audio sources leaking into the mics on other instruments when recording in a 'live' band setting. Primarily used to isolate drum kit mics and sometimes the mics on various drums (baffle tunnel to separate spill into a kick drum mic) from others as it is an acoustic instrument source and subsequent balancing of levels in the mix can cause phase/comb filtering EQ effects as mic channels are combined.

The primary methods of achieving acoustic separation are to use absorptive and diffusive materials/methods in the construction of booths/baffles. Perspex is largely reflective, with minimal absorption and diffusion quality. I note that the engineer has put Auralex audio treatment on the bottom of the booth to control some of the reflections.

The use of perspex in live performance isolation is to attempt some separation of audio sources and therefore afford better mixing potential for broadcast or recording whilst allowing the audience to view the performer (drums) or other genre iconography (amp stacks).

This particular application would be problematic in that although the source mics may be shielded from the high stage SPL leakage from other sources, the performer would also be shielded from the direct sound/tone/volume source of the speakers for on stage monitoring purposes. What sound did bounce/reflect around and eventually find the ear of the guitarist would be coloured by the reflections/absorption/diffusion factors in the process so wouldn't be an accurate account of the direct sound.

Also mics (he has SM57s) are designed to accept audio from behind the diaphragm (that small mesh collar at the base of the capsule on a SM57) in a calculated phase relationship to the audio picked up in front of the diaphragm which combines at the diaphragm to colour the result in a pleasing aural way (hence the bass proximity effect renown of the SM57).

With a reflective shield so close to the back of the SM57, I'd be pretty sure ( :lol: ) that the phase relationship between the direct sound and reflective sound would be an issue, for recording purposes, irrespective of the null lobes of the dynamic mic design and the close mic placement to the speaker cone.

The upshot being that this will cause as many problems as it would solve and would be a better fix if proper studio grade diffusion baffles were used or a separate speaker in an isolation box with a mic mounted inside, specifically tweaked for best colouration, was used off to the side out of audience view.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I'll be sure to tell him if I ever meet him...

Hey Joe, you're doing it all wrong... ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

BG wrote:I'll be sure to tell him if I ever meet him...

Hey Joe, you're doing it all wrong... ;)
Probably best to tell his engineer or back-line tech...or while you're talking to Joe, ask him for a job for me will ya :lol:

...but I do know the ZZ Top dudes use the isolation box/speaker/mic set-up for their gigs and it works quite well. They take a signal sniff from the amp and put it into a Celestion firing into a HEAVILY dampened and acoustically isolated box that has an Audio Technica mic suspended inside which then feeds to the stage box, FOH console, etc...

Seems far more contollable and less sonically intrusive for the performer (which is the most important thing in my view...no happy guitarist, no happy band, no happy audience) and flexible. :wink:

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

I talked to the engineer from Kiss once and he told me thay use those boxes as well and they have 2 Audio-Technica mics in them one in front of the speaker and one behind a 4060 and a 4050 by memory one mixed wet and the other dry

Then they use 3 of them mixed left centre right which means each guitarist takes up 6 channels on the desk no wonder they get a wall of guitar sound