Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: Close micing tom toms

Post by philly »

crowbgood1 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:20 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:50 pm I also like condensers on toms. Have had excellent sucess with the mini condensers from Audio Technica, they have a lovely clean attack and are very wide band, so you can EQ a lot to find the sound you want. Think they are an ATM350, but there is or was a cheaper version called the Pro35. Incidentally, the Pro37 is an outstanding mini condenser too, highly recommended.

57’s are good tom mics too, but the long body is awkward for live use. Sennheiser e604 and e904 are good but I still prefer the mini condenser type
Thanks! I have just ordered an Audio Technica ATM450 so will give it a go and maybe get another couple if it gels. I'm still really interested why the Sennheiser MD421-II made such an impact, back in the day, but $750 is a big outlay only going by reputation.
the 421's were a fairly ubiquitous large dynamic...that's all...i still have my pair and use them regularly. these days everyone is into the shure sm7b for reasons i can't quite fathom... just fashionable i spose...
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”