Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Must have plugins?

Post by jeremyb »

I have a bunch of synths, guitar amps and effects, EQs, etc, what else are your absolute must haves and why?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Must have plugins?

Post by bender »

I love Softube’s console plugins- I use their API channel on every track in most of the songs I work on. I also love Soundtoys Lil Radiator for a bit of colour. Cool saturation plugins suck me in- latest is Softube’s Chandler Zener Bender. Fuck that thing sounds amazeballs.

For my day job it’s quite different- Fabfilter Pro Q3 for EQ, CEDAR DNS and iZotope RX Advanced for dialogue noise reduction, and Cinematic Rooms by Liquid Sonics (which is a mind blowing awesome sounding reverb). Can’t live without those.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Fabfilter eq and Saturn 2,

Valhalla reverb.

I'm liking the Archetype Bolly the most. It seems to cover the most ground whereas the Tosin, Gojira, Wong ones only do one sound well and a few shit ones thrown in.

None of these are must have though, there's a million eqs, verbs and amp sims, I just find these easiest to use and provide good results quickly.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I have all the Kush stuff on subscription...it's all beautiful with very diverse saturation. I like the Softube active eq on vocals and their focus eq on guitar.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

eventide blackhole/Valhalla reverb
UAD/softube API vision
PSP oldtimer

and........dont laugh at me too hard......
Pod farm.Ive been using it now for ugh...years and its one of the few vsts i can go into and instantly know what i want to achieve :)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Kris wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am eventide blackhole
Yes! I use this for my sound design work all the time!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I have way too many plugins, but some of my favourites come from MNTRA: https://www.mntra.io/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

Ah, guys, in this country we speak English, okay?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I just got this in the Briscoes, I mean Waves, sale for mixing on headphones, it has EQ correction curves for 270 models of headphones so you can get the best out of it, basically creates a virtual control room modelled on Studio 3 at Abbey Road so you can listen to your mixes as if you were in that room: https://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road-studio-3

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I do not know about must have, but must not have is IK Multimedia's stuff like T-Racks etc.

Buy one of the racks and they make you install the entire suite of plugins locally on your computer, so you can try them out I guess. Apart from SSD space, it clogs up my plugin browser in Reaper. I only own and use one T-Racks plugin of theirs. A reverb called Sunset Sound. It's pretty good, but to have it available I have to put up with using IK's product manager and the mess they make of my plugin browser, etc.

They also like to spam you with several emails per week, so I unsubscribed from the lot. They also want to charge you to transfer hardware and software licenses to somebody else, e.g., software that came with a direct box thing I got from them. Italians should know better.

Must have? Two Notes Wall Of Sound. I have bought all sorts, e.g., Softube's Amp Room Marshall Edition, Celestion Speaker Mix Pro, Nembrini stuff, plus lots of IR loaders etc. I keep going back to WOS.

Another one I like is Waves CLA Epic. It's like four delays and four reverbs that you can mix together pretty much however you like. Quite cheap these days too.

I have been messing about with that Analog Obsession stuff. Pretty good for free, although I do not really have much use for it just guitar noodling.

P.S. What I really need is some kind of auto mix AI plugin thing that knows how to make my Friedman IR-X blend perfectly with a YouTube backing track and sound awesome :P