Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

SOLVED: PC based gear sims

Post by Cdog »

Sorry in advance I get the idea there are already threads for this stuff, I just dont know what the different things are called. :oops:

Looking into PC software for silent practice. Keeping busy with gigs and new songs, had been practicing quietly using diy cab iso booth... but now I'd like a silent option.... So would the rest of my family :silent:

I have a resonably specced PC, and audio interface. Hoping to dip my toes before committing $$ to the new paradigm. Any recommendations?
Last edited by Cdog on Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: PC based gear sims

Post by robthemac »

BiasFX is... Fine. Good for high gain. Ain't gonna do cleans.

I went down a few routes before settling on external modelling through an interface. Then I bought a house with a sleepout. That's a more expensive route.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Should add, all I really need is a decent blackface sim... Cleans are important. Would be nice to use my own pedalboard, but not essential I suppose

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Cdog wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:20 am Should add, all I really need is a decent blackface sim... Cleans are important. Would be nice to use my own pedalboard, but not essential I suppose
I seem to recall there were some nice free Fender amp plugins around. Sorry, can't recall any right now. They sounded nice enough through headphones. Never used external pedals with them though.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Download a 14 day trial of the Cory Wong plugin from Neural DSP: https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/archetype-cory-wong and if you decide to purchase use the code GUITARNERDS for 30% off :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

EDIT: jeremyb beat me to it.

I would try Archetype: Cory Wong by NeuralDSP. You can try it for 14 days here

There are three emulations of "amplifiers" to the plugin.

The first one is an SSL channel strip emulation akin to how Nile Rodgers records his guitar.

The second one "Clean Machine" is an emulation of a mix of Fender clean amps.

The third one "Amp Snob" is likely an emulation of the Dumble Overdrive Special.

You can run this plugin either standalone or as a plugin inside a DAW.

It's fully featured too:
  • Tuner
    Stereo impulse loader
    pre effects include wah, overdrive, compression etc
    post amp effects is stereo delay and shimmer reverb

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Thanks for the replies... looked into them all and a bunch more! :) (Crikey you can sink some serious coin on that stuff :shock: )
Ended up with Amplitube 5CS, which has a free blackface and 4x10 model that sounds fine... takes pedals well so yay.

Next N00b question: Whats the easiest way to play along to mp3s when practicing?

The problem I have when using the Amplitude App, is it wont share the Interface output with the other media players I normally use in windows to play the mp3s. I assume this is normal? Do I have to load each mp3 into a DAW and use the Amplitude as a VST, or is there an easier way? My device is a Behringer UMC204HD if that matters. TIA

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Cdog wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:03 pm The problem I have when using the Amplitude App, is it wont share the Interface output with the other media players I normally use in windows to play the mp3s. I assume this is normal? Do I have to load each mp3 into a DAW and use the Amplitude as a VST, or is there an easier way? My device is a Behringer UMC204HD if that matters. TIA
Huh. I never use standalone mode for gear sims and just load up my DAW whenever I want to use it. Bolded is the option that I would use, although my DAW allows me to share the interface output with other media players.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Cdog wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:03 pm Thanks for the replies... looked into them all and a bunch more! :) (Crikey you can sink some serious coin on that stuff :shock: )
Ended up with Amplitube 5CS, which has a free blackface and 4x10 model that sounds fine... takes pedals well so yay.

Next N00b question: Whats the easiest way to play along to mp3s when practicing?

The problem I have when using the Amplitude App, is it wont share the Interface output with the other media players I normally use in windows to play the mp3s. I assume this is normal? Do I have to load each mp3 into a DAW and use the Amplitude as a VST, or is there an easier way? My device is a Behringer UMC204HD if that matters. TIA
not sure if it is what you want, but I recently started using guitar pro 8. Stopped using it a few years back as it didn't do what i wanted other than slowed down midi sounds :(

Latest version allows you to add an audio file (mp3 etc) and sync it to the tab. Takes a couple of times to master it but then its pretty awesome, providing the tab is accurate.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:15 pm Huh. I never use standalone mode for gear sims and just load up my DAW whenever I want to use it. Bolded is the option that I would use, although my DAW allows me to share the interface output with other media players.
Thanks bro... Sorted now. I discovered I could hussle a share between windows sounds and the DAW using different driver , but end up with sucky latency. My free DAW (Cakewalk) was also not liking the Behringer driver, so I switched to Waveform... much better! So yeah, I'm playing audio through DAW, importing MP3 into one of the tracks and playing along with my pedalboard into blackface sim via VST. Solved! :thumbup:

Bg wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:36 am not sure if it is what you want, but I recently started using guitar pro 8. Stopped using it a few years back as it didn't do what i wanted other than slowed down midi sounds :(

Latest version allows you to add an audio file (mp3 etc) and sync it to the tab. Takes a couple of times to master it but then its pretty awesome, providing the tab is accurate.

Dang that software is awesome... Been wanting to transcribe some of my parts (which I forget) this might make it easier. Chur! :)

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Bg wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:36 am not sure if it is what you want, but I recently started using guitar pro 8. Stopped using it a few years back as it didn't do what i wanted other than slowed down midi sounds :(

I chucked guitar pro on my pc a few months ago but haven't had a good play with it yet. Will have to give that feature a go.