Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Resources on Recording

Post by jeremyb »

Ordered one of the above, going to pickup a MXL R144 this week as well, not expecting a lot from a $200 ribbon mic but generally you can upgrade the transformer in them to get a big improvement, but maybe it will sound all good with the booster anyway... will find out soon enough :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Useful resource for the curious...

Mic database...
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

Blog... with some quite good reviews and shootouts...
http://recordinghacks.com

And for the more esoteric, obsolete and unusual mics...
http://www.coutant.org/1.html

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

More on mic'ing a cab with a ribbon and a dynamic:

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Must say I'm surprised given the available technology today that the thread thus far has loosely been on the topics of mics and placement. I was expecting debates on which reactive load performs the best. Suhr RL.i.R. vs Torpedo Captor X etc. Anyone have experience with these devices ?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Dharmajester wrote:Must say I'm surprised given the available technology today that the thread thus far has loosely been on the topics of mics and placement. I was expecting debates on which reactive load performs the best. Suhr RL.i.R. vs Torpedo Captor X etc. Anyone have experience with these devices ?
If you only need recording instead of silent practicing I think you're better off with a simple loadbox, then you can add the cab sim in your DAW.

You can use higher quality IRs in the DAW than the hardwares. For example the Two Notes hardwares only support 48KHZ/200ms IRs but you can use 96KHZ/500ms ones in your DAW.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

godgrinder wrote: If you only need recording instead of silent practicing I think you're better off with a simple loadbox, then you can add the cab sim in your DAW.

You can use higher quality IRs in the DAW than the hardwares. For example the Two Notes hardwares only support 48KHZ/200ms IRs but you can use 96KHZ/500ms ones in your DAW.
Ok , so I'd be best served putting the amp I want to record through my Fryette PS, unpowered, so silent, straight into Logic and grab a 3rd party cab sim that'll run as a plug in within Logic ?
Thanks for that. I've not done any recording for a few years now and of course everything has moved on a bit..
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Dharmajester wrote: Ok , so I'd be best served putting the amp I want to record through my Fryette PS, unpowered, so silent, straight into Logic and grab a 3rd party cab sim that'll run as a plug in within Logic ?
Thanks for that. I've not done any recording for a few years now and of course everything has moved on a bit..
Yeah sounds right. Supposedly you can use Space Designer in Logic to load IRs (disable Volume Env and Output EQ, set the Dry level to 0), since IR cab sims basically work the same way as convulsion reverbs. You can start off with some free Celestion IRs:
https://www.celestionplus.com/free-download/
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »