Mics for guitar cabs. What has impressed you the most?

Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Mics for guitar cabs. What has impressed you the most?

Post by jeremyb »

Sennheiser e906, sm57s are boring!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote:“But in the past I felt something was missing.. Was kinda flat sounding. Maybe I'm looking for more of that 'in the room sound' I dunno”

I’m looking into this as well, I’d like to find a good IR that’s of a couple of cab mics and like 20% blend room mic. I’m Sure they are out there but I haven’t found one yet.
You need something like this: https://www.two-notes.com/wall-of-sound where you can have multiple cabs and the like, or maybe just reamp into multiple tracks?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote:
Reg18 wrote:“But in the past I felt something was missing.. Was kinda flat sounding. Maybe I'm looking for more of that 'in the room sound' I dunno”

I’m looking into this as well, I’d like to find a good IR that’s of a couple of cab mics and like 20% blend room mic. I’m Sure they are out there but I haven’t found one yet.
You need something like this: https://www.two-notes.com/wall-of-sound where you can have multiple cabs and the like, or maybe just reamp into multiple tracks?
Cool, yeah looks like you can mix different cabs in WOS and I assume export it to a single file so I could load it on my IR loader. I’ll look into that for sure.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I’ve been using a blend of a Warm Audio WA87, and a 57 with results that I’m really liking. Very complementary of each other and you can cover a fair bit of sonic ground depending on how you blend them. I’m a bit the opposite to be honest. They may never win the ‘cool’ factor prize, but I’ve generally always got good results from 57’s. Royer 121’s are great too, but obviously pricey!

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

Reg18 wrote:
Green Bastard wrote:Thomann has a fathead rip off for good price, only issue is their flatrate shipping is a lot when looking at small items
I got one off TM a while back, only used it a couple of times but liked it mixed with a 57.
It’s $85 flatrate aye? I’m looking at getting at Attenuator from them but it would be helpful if I could add a couple of other items to reduce the shipping cost.
Yeah 50euro, so generally 80ish nzd. Have been eyeing a few things up trying to balance the line of bargains and keeping it under 400 customs threshold.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

i'll generally start off with (and then return to after lots of pissing about...)
senny 421 or aea r92 close up with an original Rode Classic 1 further back for ambience (don't snigger... the original rode classics were great)
the rode will go onto a separate track to faded in or out.. or muted.. after
the thing i like about the aea is it's a figure 8 but the back and front sound very different
as always check your phase when using multiple mics :-)
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Cascade is a great mic, but very much a warm and dark sound. I find it's better with another mic to provide the cut and clarity, and that probably goes for all ribbon mics.

The Sennheiser e906 is a really good mic. Has a 3 way treble switch, which gives you a 'SM57' type sound, a flat sound and a vintage-y 'MD421' sound. Very versatile, useful and not crazy expensive.

I have a weird Audio Technica mic (ATM250DE) which is pretty cool - it has a fairly warm sounding dynamic mic and a bright sounding condenser in the same case. You can send both signals to FOH and the sound tech can go for either or a blend of both. And for my covers band I pan the two hard left and right which sounds really good in my IEMs.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Thanks for your input lads.
Gonna give the e906 a whirl. A lot of the demos I've watched it sounds great.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I heartily recommend Audix i5

I used to run IEM's and mic choice on my guitar cab became a really big deal. I went from SM57 to Beta 57a to a Rode NT-2A (large diagrahm condenser)......to an Audix i5, which ended up being my favourite of the lot.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I was going to record some clips then I realised that I'm completely without a mic! I sold all over the past few years. Shite. I still have a mic stand though!

Phew, I have nothing to plug one into anyway, yay....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Oh I have an old akai condenser still :) needs a new battery - oh yeah.... and it will plug into the helix LT
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

e906!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

E906 by a country mile
Edit fir clarity - I meant over Shure. Some of these others quoted are very nice also. Th e906 works well in a live situation.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

el byrdo wrote:I have just bought two OKTAVA russian dynamic mics all the way from 1989! haven't tried them out yet as I need to solder on an xlr in place of the dins
only cost 40 bucks from ukraine, and I didn't even get ripped! gonna try for some of the famous OKTAVA small diaphragm condensers next, about 100 bucks each if you know where to look... also some of the soviet guitars are off the hook cool.
I've got a matched pair of small diaphragm Octavas and a large diaphragm as well. Great mikes.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I've just splashed out on an AE3000. Looking forward to trying it live.