Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: recording tomorrow and "i really want to use my amp" true story

Post by mrmofo »

Lawrence wrote:just a couple of minor points

Firstly...using a real amp will feel better if you are in the room with it because you are familiar with that. It will not sound better in the mix than say...any $500+ modeler from the last 15 years. Recording in the control room will feel odd if you are not used to it...BUT, your ears will last longer, the communication with the engineer will be better, and monitoring via speakers is much nicer than wearing headphones.

secondly...if it is an actual studio environment...perhaps trust the engineer to do their job. :thumbup:
yea, you are probably right.
I will re read this post a few times to break my will :oops:
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

DI now, reamp later.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

mrmofo wrote:
griff7628 wrote:Build an iso box with some cheap ply.
Add reverb etc in mastering phase.
I almost have the time to do that. I might get that happening for next time
cheers for the reply
All good. Remember to line the inside with carpet or foam to avoid reflections.
You could cut 100mm hole in the side of the box to let sound out for monitoring.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Out of interest, which studio are you recording at?
What style of music you doing?

As Lawrence mentioned, trust the engineer to do their job. But I’m sure you can use your amp as long as there’s no practical limitations where you’re recording.

Personally I reckon the only genuine reason for absolute isolation from mic spill is if the playing is SOOOOOO bad that it has to be heavily doctored in post.
A bit of care with mic placement should be enough to allow heaps of flexibility in the mix.

Go have a listen to the tracks linked in my Marshall 2203 thread. That was tracked at Stebbings with the drums, TWO Marshall half stacks and an 8x10 bass rig in the main room together. There’s spill in all the mics but it’s low enough not to create a problem in the mix.
It helped that the performances were good enough we didn’t require any major overdubs. In fact because we were recording to tape and I knew the guys were up to it, if they weren’t happy with a bit of a take, I’d make them do the whole thing again. Always resulted in a better, more intense performance.

Go hard!

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Lawrence wrote:just a couple of minor points

Firstly...using a real amp will feel better if you are in the room with it because you are familiar with that. It will not sound better in the mix than say...any $500+ modeler from the last 15 years. Recording in the control room will feel odd if you are not used to it...BUT, your ears will last longer, the communication with the engineer will be better, and monitoring via speakers is much nicer than wearing headphones.

secondly...if it is an actual studio environment...perhaps trust the engineer to do their job. :thumbup:
As an ex-engineer, this advice is gold :thumbup: :thumbup:

For the future, make it to pre-production meetings. All this stuff is discussed then and all questions answered. You get to know what can be done with the resources at hand, the time and your budget. You get to walk through the facility and get the vibe of it. Recording environments can be quite intimidating and sterile places to perform in so it's good to feel at home as much as possible before you're expecting to put on the performance of a life-time. Engineers don't really like to get involved in managing the talent, that's more a producer's role, so you're going to have to bring some thought to the table to get your best performance.

Capt. Black called it regarding bleed from sources into other mics. It's not too critical depending on genre. Lawrence called it regarding the ability of a good engineer to mitigate bleed to an inconsequential degree and the interplay between SPL/tone/comms/hearing/fatigue/comfort/etc

Tape can make you feel like a bug under a microscope. Try not to get "paralysis by analysis" syndrome. Have fun with it as much as you can :D and DON'T piss off the engineer! BUT have good, clean, professional fun :thumbup: :D Good luck

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Sitting there waiting for everything to be set up, strumming through your guitar parts with so little effort it's like you were born with a guitar in your hands. Then..

"OH GOD THE RECORDING LIGHT IS ON, THE RECORDING LIGHT IS ON, WHY HAVE I SUDDENLY FORGOTTEN HOW TO PLAY GUITAR, HELP ME FINGERS, HEEEEEEELP?????"
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote:Sitting there waiting for everything to be set up, strumming through your guitar parts with so little effort it's like you were born with a guitar in your hands. Then..

"OH GOD THE RECORDING LIGHT IS ON, THE RECORDING LIGHT IS ON, WHY HAVE I SUDDENLY FORGOTTEN HOW TO PLAY GUITAR, HELP ME FINGERS, HEEEEEEELP?????"
Imagine how bad it must have been in the days of tape, at least these days you can delete the bits and bytes and re-do so easily :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Sitting there waiting for everything to be set up, strumming through your guitar parts with so little effort it's like you were born with a guitar in your hands. Then..

Imagine how bad it must have been in the days of tape, at least these days you can delete the bits and bytes and re-do so easily :rofl:
In the tape days it was all genuine cut and paste (well cut and cello tape at least). Lots of skill in cutting and splicing bits of tape together to gets the best bits of each take and make sure you couldn't hear the cuts.

Now it's just done with mouse clicks.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Drums in the big main room, your amps it the small isolated room. I would be in the room with my amps if it were me, then sit in the control room when doing overdubs
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

You'll need a proper Producer
You'll need a proper Engineer
You'll need a proper Bass Player
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I like recording in front of my amp too. The feedback and resonance with the guitar and amp interaction can be clearly heard in the final recording. Definitely not a dry clinical sound that seems to be prevalent in modern rock and metal music though.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Scooter13 wrote:I like recording in front of my amp too. The feedback and resonance with the guitar and amp interaction can be clearly heard in the final recording. Definitely not a dry clinical sound that seems to be prevalent in modern rock and metal music though.
Yeah it's totally noticable, as a guitarist, you hear an album and you go "pfffft, where's the feedback on that final chord - clearly his cab was in another room - lame". Sounds nitpicky but I do this all the time :rofl:

I will go out of my way to make sure I am in front of my amp when I'm recording distorted stuff, because there is that whole other layer of interaction and realness that happens.

The trick is to ask the rest of the band to leave the room :D "Oh gawd, Jae's doing his obnoxious loud thing again"... they don't get it!

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

out of interest some players (Slash for example) record in the control room but use a splitter and have a small combo in the control room, set up inches from the guitar, with a volume pedal, . Whenever the part needs a bit of feedback they press the pedal down and get interaction for a few seconds then shut it back off. A handy compromise.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I could get feedback out of a pod 2.0 ... just saying.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

I've got feedback in a control room, which was a surprise, but Arnie runs the monitors pretty loud. Arnie's monitor mix and delay always feels good, I don't know if it's the board compression or the studio delay, but he's played guitar a longer than I have so I assume he knows a thing or two.
Tin arse!!