Home recording (with current tech/equipment as at early 2019)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: Home recording (with current tech/equipment as at early 2019)

Post by Conway »

bender wrote:Assuming you are wanting to record this live in one take as opposed to overdubbing, you'll need to be able to hear the guitar while you record.
Yes, this is my goal.
bender wrote:a) Plugging straight into the interface means using software amp sims. If you monitor through your recording software, you're going to have to deal with latency (the delay from the input source, through the processor and back out again). The way you avoid latency when tracking is to usually to monitor the input rather than the actual record track. You usually do this by muting the track in your DAW and monitoring the input on the interface using its software control panel (this basically sends the input that you're plugged into directly to the monitor outs without going through the computer). Some interfaces (e.g. Antelope Zen Tour or Discrete 4, or UA Apollo) have DSP amp sims built in so you can monitor live through the processor with near zero latency, but they're getting pretty pricey.
Plugging the guitar into the interface, can you set monitor output to the guitar track input only and plug that into your guitar amp? Thereby, getting the live guitar sound as normal while recording the guitar track on the way through, which can then have amp & cab sim applied in the DAW prior to listening back???
bender wrote:b) Cab Clone or Load box is an ok answer- but you still need to send that to speakers somehow. That's a lot easier than the above as you can simply mute the track in the DAW and monitor through the software control panel for the interface. You'd have to buy one though, and they're not cheap.
There's a 16 ohm Mesa Cab Clone on Rockshop website for $359 (I have 16 ohm speaker). Probably not much more than a mic and mic stand, yeah? I don't think I need one of those $2.5k OX boxes! Or do I?!

What mic would you recommend for a guitar amp?
bender wrote:I'd suggest keeping it as close to how you're actually practicing/performing and figuring out how to simply capture that without changing too many things. The simplest way to do that is to load the loops into your computer, mic yourself up as usual, send that to the interface and then mic the amp. You hear the amp live in the room and your voice through the PA, meaning the only thing you need to hear out of the computer is the drum loops. No tricky routing required. That's my thinking anyway.
Yep, thanks Ben. I appreciate your help here.
bender wrote:What's your vocal PA?
Henriksen Bud.

GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Hah—-get a Kemper! :-)
I'll deal with you later! :evil:

:lol:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

JHorner wrote:
bender wrote:
JHorner wrote:"Cab Clone or Load box is an ok answer- but you still need to send that to speakers somehow"

Cab clone has 2 outs: TS to speaker, XLR to interface

Plug both in makes:

Noise from speaker

Audio track on computer
Yes, I have one. It's not really that different to using a mic at that point. Totally workable solution if you have a cab clone though.
The significant difference in a live recording situation is zero bleed from anything else.

Also I seem to be possessed of the ability to mic a cab and make it sound like the mic is in a bucket despite being 100% sure I did it the same way last time.
I hadn't thought about the bleed thing, but that could be quite important if recording in a small room, couldn't it?

It also seems that the Cab Clone is idiot-proof - you just plug the leads in - whereas with a mic, there's placement issues, etc. Consistency and ease of set-up seems a good thing.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

So, following the Cab Clone approach, what are the other options? Suhr load box then the expensive Two Notes and OX things... what else?

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

There have been some cheaper second hand cabclones floating around, one on here, one on trademe recently.

Another cheap option is a H&K Redbox.

Then above that yeah, there's a lot of fancier products with reactive load, more and better cab sims e.t.c, but they're out of my league so not able to advise.

If you plug mic and drum machine into the PA, you'll get one unmixable track for them on the interface, which may or may not be a PITA depending if good levels for the room work out to be good levels on the recording.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

JHorner wrote:There have been some cheaper second hand cabclones floating around, one on here, one on trademe recently.

Another cheap option is a H&K Redbox.

Then above that yeah, there's a lot of fancier products with reactive load, more and better cab sims e.t.c, but they're out of my league so not able to advise.

If you plug mic and drum machine into the PA, you'll get one unmixable track for them on the interface, which may or may not be a PITA depending if good levels for the room work out to be good levels on the recording.
Do you know anything about the H&K Redbox? How does it compare to the Cab Clone?

Yes, you have hit upon an issue with the drum machine... :think:

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Forget the cab clone and go with the Two Notes Torpedo Captor. $399 at the Rockshop. It has a 'through' to go to your regular cab while at the same time taking an XLR out to your interface.
Why? Because it sounds noticeably better. Excellent little device.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

griff7628 wrote:Forget the cab clone and go with the Two Notes Torpedo Captor. $399 at the Rockshop. It has a 'through' to go to your regular cab while at the same time taking an XLR out to your interface.
Can't see it on RS website???

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Shit, you're right. They must have stopped selling them or something. Apologies.
Maybe call them to make sure?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

JHorner wrote: If you plug mic and drum machine into the PA, you'll get one unmixable track for them on the interface, which may or may not be a PITA depending if good levels for the room work out to be good levels on the recording.
That's why I'm suggesting the direct outs. Direct outs (as opposed to line outs) are per channel, so they'd be separate.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I have a Cab Clone that I don't really need. If you want it, it's yours for less than the price of an SM57.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Conway wrote:
griff7628 wrote:Forget the cab clone and go with the Two Notes Torpedo Captor. $399 at the Rockshop. It has a 'through' to go to your regular cab while at the same time taking an XLR out to your interface.
Available from Musicworks too, but also not listed on the website. You have to inquire through the website.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Mattallica wrote:
Conway wrote:
Available from Musicworks too, but also not listed on the website. You have to inquire through the website.
Or just ask Tod to get you one. :thumbup:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

bender wrote:I have a Cab Clone that I don't really need. If you want it, it's yours for less than the price of an SM57.
Is it 16 ohm?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Mattallica wrote:
Conway wrote:
OK, great. Thanks for that. So is the Two Notes that much better than the Cab Clone?