Home recording (with current tech/equipment as at early 2019)

Moderator: Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Home recording (with current tech/equipment as at early 2019)

Post by codedog »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:yeh the DI thiing is the way to go if you want to totally avoid the other things, but even then im sure multiple mics would suit the bill given it doesnt have to be record company quality, if its just for self improvement.
I can't speak for Conway but, for myself, that logical thinking simply fails. For me recording is only for self-improvement too. You're absolutely right, I should probably not care as much about gear and quality, especially given my skill levels. However, I do. Yes, it's illogical, irrational, et cetera.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

HackSaw wrote:Just get these, currently on special...

1x https://www.jansen.co.nz/GLD112
3x https://www.jansen.co.nz/AE2500

(I miss NzSimon!)
:lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

codedog wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:yeh the DI thiing is the way to go if you want to totally avoid the other things, but even then im sure multiple mics would suit the bill given it doesnt have to be record company quality, if its just for self improvement.
I can't speak for Conway but, for myself, that logical thinking simply fails. For me recording is only for self-improvement too. You're absolutely right, I should probably not care as much about gear and quality, especially given my skill levels. However, I do. Yes, it's illogical, irrational, et cetera.
I do it professionally and I have a selection of gear that runs the gamut from cheap, almost junkshop right up to eye-wateringly expensive. I’ve made some of my best recordings using gear that popular opinion on the internet poo-poos. Believe me when I say that agonising over the best way to do things or the best version of a piece of hardware based purely on internet opinion is a colossal waste of time- even more so than with guitar gear. Convenience is a far better thing to consider- what’s available, what’s affordable, what’s least confusing.

Conway- if you don’t already have a mic for your amp, as well as a mic for your vocals, an SM57 can be had for about $150, a used Cab Clone is about $160-$200, a new Captor is $399. They will all give you results that you’ll be happy with. Pick whichever you’d like- there’s no bad option.

If you do already have mics, I honestly don’t think it’s worth the hassle or expense of buying a cab clone or captor for this particular application. HOWEVER, they do offer the option of silent amp recording- that could be useful for being able to have a bit of fun with your amps without pissing your neighbours off. That’s what I use mine for- recording cranked guitar amps without being a nuisance. It can be a pain to monitor, but it’s definitely useful- if you don’t mind recording with headphones or are able to also attenuate the output to your speaker (which the Captor can).

If you’re using a close mic on your cab, spill on that mic from your vocals and your drum machine should be negligible. I’ve made live recordings of the Bull Kelp Surfers and the guitar mics are almost completely clean, and our drummer is enormous.

Your PA doesn’t have direct outs so you’ll need to have the loops/drum machine playing from your computer.

An interface with 4 analog inputs would be a good idea. 2 mic inputs plus 2 line inputs would be fine. Youll mostly be using line inputs for these scenarios.

If you don’t like using headphones, the simplest way to monitor would be only hearing the drum loops from the computer (ie muting the vocal and amp tracks) and hearing your amp and your vocals live in the room. That requires the least amount of fucking around with the monitoring control panel for the audio interface.

If you need some help, give me a bell.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

bender wrote:
codedog wrote:
Believe me when I say that agonising over the best way to do things or the best version of a piece of hardware based purely on internet opinion is a colossal waste of time- even more so than with guitar gear. Convenience is a far better thing to consider- what’s available, what’s affordable, what’s least confusing.
Extremely profound and logical truth... at times it simply did not get in the way of my irrational and likely-to-be-losing-marbles brain though. The best I can do is to not be an askhole and don't ask questions in the first place if I don't want to heed the answers/advice.

Anyway... back to helping Conway...

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

codedog wrote:Anyway... back to helping Conway...
Cheers guys. A lot of this thread is about exploring all the options available and learning about stuff. And I thought perhaps it could be educational for other people as well as me. Already I have learned quite a few things, and I am still open minded about what route I might follow.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

bender wrote:You’re not recording an album
Not yet... but my bach is near the surf club where they teach the young kids to be surf life savers, so I thought one day I might record an album of kids surf music. Can't be that hard. :wink:

Pauanui Nippers, Hit The Waves!

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

HackSaw wrote:Just get these, currently on special...

1x https://www.jansen.co.nz/GLD112
3x https://www.jansen.co.nz/AE2500

(I miss NzSimon!)
Excellent, some very good advice at last.

I miss Simon too.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

bender wrote:Convenience is a far better thing to consider- what’s available, what’s affordable, what’s least confusing.
Yep, point taken.
bender wrote:Conway- if you don’t already have a mic for your amp, as well as a mic for your vocals, an SM57 can be had for about $150, a used Cab Clone is about $160-$200, a new Captor is $399. They will all give you results that you’ll be happy with. Pick whichever you’d like- there’s no bad option.
I only have a vocal mic at present.
bender wrote:they do offer the option of silent amp recording- that could be useful for being able to have a bit of fun with your amps without pissing your neighbours off.
I do have very understanding neighbours... NOT!
bender wrote:Your PA doesn’t have direct outs so you’ll need to have the loops/drum machine playing from your computer.
Right.
bender wrote:An interface with 4 analog inputs would be a good idea. 2 mic inputs plus 2 line inputs would be fine. Youll mostly be using line inputs for these scenarios.
OK, so we're at the interface now. What are good options? It would be very helpful to be able to run it on USB bus power to avoid extra power supplies and cables.
bender wrote:If you don’t like using headphones, the simplest way to monitor would be only hearing the drum loops from the computer (ie muting the vocal and amp tracks) and hearing your amp and your vocals live in the room. That requires the least amount of fucking around with the monitoring control panel for the audio interface.
Yep. I really dislike headphones.
bender wrote:If you need some help, give me a bell.
Thanks Ben.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

HackSaw wrote:https://www.two-notes.com/en/cabm

Interesting?
Yes, does look interesting. I wonder when it will be available and price.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

HackSaw wrote:https://www.two-notes.com/en/cabm

Interesting?
Actually, there's one thing about it that really bugs me - they say put it on your pedalboard, but it needs 12 volt power. :roll: Make it 9 volts!!!

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Sorry but I'm back on to this again. So, my thoughts so far...

Source 1, Guitar - 2 options (I have no strong preference at this stage):

(a) Mic amp/cab with SM57 > Interface input 1

(b) Amp > Cab Clone or Two Notes Captor > Interface input 1, and throughput > Cab for live sound

Source 2, Vocals

Mic > Interface input 2 > direct monitor output 2 > channel 1 of vocal PA for live sound

Source 3, Drum Machine - 2 options:

(a) Beat Buddy L & R outputs > Interface input 3 & 4 > direct monitor (combined to mono) output 3 > channel 2 of vocal PA for live sound

(b) Export Beat Buddy drums for each song to a wav file, import into DAW and play from DAW (in mono) > Interface output 3 > channel 2 of vocal PA

Comments/ideas/suggestions??? Will that work?!

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I expect it will work, I think you'll get guitar on the PA unless you do fancy routing on the interface but who cares, fingers crossed you don't get any latency issues on the monitoring.

I think you're at "try it and see" stage.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

JHorner wrote:I expect it will work, I think you'll get guitar on the PA unless you do fancy routing on the interface but who cares, fingers crossed you don't get any latency issues on the monitoring.

I think you're at "try it and see" stage.
Cheers. The vocal mic is pretty directional (Sennheiser E945) and facing in the opposite direction to the guitar amp, so hopefully it shouldn't get too much spill over.

Yep, I need to get the gear now...

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Interfaces then. Criteria: 4 inputs, 4 outputs, USB bus powered. There don't seem to be that many 4x4 options that can do USB bus powered? They seem to be USB 2.0. Why don't they make USB 3.1 (USB C) interfaces, which can deliver a heap more power???

Anyway, a couple of options that look to provide my requirements.

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 - $369 Rockshop
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/native- ... 21066.html

Tascam US-4x4 - $339 Rubber Monkey
https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Tascam/T ... oryId=1800
Anyone familiar with either of these? Comments or other options?