Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

How to mic a cocktail kit???

Post by Eruera »

Country trio, singer has "past participle of get" hold of one so we can have percussion without the whole 'singer sitting down at back' issue.

It's sound is actually really good, but I'm not sure how to mic it!

One approach that I've seen is rim clip drum mics on the top head of each drum plus the bottom of the kick and overheads, but that seems a bit much for an acoustic country style thing.

Given the mics I reckon I could handle the snare/tons/OH fine, but that vertical unported bass drum is beating me.

How would you go about micing this live?

EDIT: Not really clear in photo but there's a full diameter rubber mute on the top head of the bass drum

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: How to mic a cocktail kit???

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Clip on mics such as the e904, top of snare and tom, bottom of kick. You won't huge rumbling bass but you should get a good punchy tone if the kick is tuned well

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

How to mic a cocktail kit???

Post by Eruera »

Is there a more budget friendly option of that type that's still good? Not sure I could get 200US a pop to fly haha!

Probably more $500 mark?

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

I did a jazz album release recently us using 3 mics on a whole kit: one at about 300mmm off the ground and two in an Ortf configuration ( think a foot apart and pointing at 100 degrees) all on one stand about a meter in front of the kit. Worked well. I think something like this would work for you.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

That could work too. For a singing drummer in front of a band, I'd lean towards the isolation of close mics. Eruera, check out the sennheiser e604, also nice mics, they come in a 3 pack. Also shure sm-57s on drum clips. My personal choice would be Audio Technica Pro35's, tiny little condensers. Not everyone's cup of tea but I really like them.