bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Paid DAW Plugins

Post by bobiron »

What are and are not the good ones to pay for? Particularly bundles and packs etc.

I looking for some realistic sounding piano, electric keys, strings and brass (esp old school R&B/soul horns section type sounds) plugins to gig with and extend the sounds I have on my Nord Electro 2. Any suggestions welcome please.

Sampletank 3 has just been released, Has anyone got this and if so what do you think of it in terms of value and the sounds?
OMM OM MM OMM MM

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Paid DAW Plugins

Post by calling card »

Native instruments - Scarbee mk1 for a Rhodes mk1 emulation, very good.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by bobiron »

calling card wrote:Native instruments - Scarbee mk1 for a Rhodes mk1 emulation, very good.
Yes that one is very nice.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

From memory the Nord Electro is a pretty nice sounding EP.

Native Instruments are pretty excellent, but I'm yet to find a horns VI that doesn't sound pants.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by bobiron »

benderissimo wrote:From memory the Nord Electro is a pretty nice sounding EP.

Native Instruments are pretty excellent, but I'm yet to find a horns VI that doesn't sound pants.
Yeah I have the electric keys stuff covered in the Nord as you say, they are very good. The piano on the Electro 2 is not my favourite though. Strangely the IKMultimedia iGrand and electric on the iPad are actually bloody good also and I paid very little for them. The only PC/Mac equivalent being the Sampletank thing.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Paid DAW Plugins

Post by KentNZ »

You're welcome to have my sample tank 2 if you want it. Will require a licence cross grade ticket from IK (if you want support?).
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

bobiron wrote:

Yeah I have the electric keys stuff covered in the Nord as you say, they are very good. The piano on the Electro 2 is not my favourite though. Strangely the IKMultimedia iGrand and electric on the iPad are actually bloody good also and I paid very little for them. The only PC/Mac equivalent being the Sampletank thing.
The Native Instruments acoustic pianos are awesome. I also quite like Toontrack EZKeys for pianos. Sampletank is something I've had mixed results with- I find their samples a bit noisy and took a general dislike to IK Multimedia for some reason that has been lost in the mists of time (and a gazillion other plugins).

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by bobiron »

KentNZ wrote:You're welcome to have my sample tank 2 if you want it. Will require a licence cross grade ticket from IK (if you want support?).
Thanks Kent for the offer, I may just spring for Sampletank 3 yet, well looking seriously at it.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by bobiron »

benderissimo wrote:
bobiron wrote:

The Native Instruments acoustic pianos are awesome. I also quite like Toontrack EZKeys for pianos. Sampletank is something I've had mixed results with- I find their samples a bit noisy and took a general dislike to IK Multimedia for some reason that has been lost in the mists of time (and a gazillion other plugins).
NI seems to take an age to load. I have Abbey road drums and because of the zillion velocity levels (24 or something) and the articulations, there are a lot of files. But its worth it when I hear it. Not sure if pianos and other instruments are the same. The basic NI Komplete bundle looks good, and man there is a truck of software there. way more than what I would practically use.

I have not been that impressed with IKMultimedia Sampletank in the past either, but I think they have stepped up in the last 2-3yrs, particularly in the iPad apps and their interfaces. The original iRig connector for the iPad was very noisy but the new one is a higher spec.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I've been using NI Kontakt (their sampler) professionally for almost 10 years. It has its flaws, and there are possibly better options out there in terms of ease of use, but I find it outstanding for everything from pianos and strings to making machinery sound like animals. It's rock-solid too. The other NI stuff is just as good (Reaktor being a particular favourite- need a theramin? Just search the Reaktor user forum and you'll find 10) and their browser system is so quick and easy.

If you're after pianos in particular, you might want to check out Pianoteq. It's relatively pricey, but it uses physical modelling rather than samples so will be quick to load.