Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Recording with Audacity

Post by jeremyb »

When I record with audacity I am extremely aggressive and bold with my guitar, I often wear a gladiator suit and slay some lions beforehand, my software, Reaper, describes my approach to gathering souls, YMMV.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Audacity is good for the actual recording part. Ive done the direct line in, through M audio and toneports, audacity handles it all no probs. Best if you can get something like a little mixer or toneport etc
Get the best sound you can before recording then it's all about the levels.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

slowfingers wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:Why use Audacity when you can get Reaper for the same price?
Absolutely free?
Technically if not officially. I'm one of the suckers who actually paid for it (thought it was only fair since its all I use now) but you can use it for free forever if you have no conscience.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote: If you're an absolute Noob at recording, Reaper can be a bit daunting. The good thing about Audacity is it' is relatively feature free, limiting if you're good with DAW software already, but great to get started with without confusing the crap out of yourself.

So far I have opened Audacity, poked around without comprehending anything, quickly got the same feeling as women taking me clothes shopping and exited.

It's not an auspicious start. :problem:
mr_sooty wrote: I'm one of the suckers who actually paid for it (thought it was only fair since its all I use now) but you can use it for free forever if you have no conscience.
It just appeared as part of my initial Linux download. Now you're telling me I should have guilt? :eh:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

TBB Flamey wrote:Yeah Reaper is the bizznizzzz
Agree. I was complete recording noob but managed to get it working with my line 6 plugins pretty quickly.
AFK.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

darkness wrote:
TBB Flamey wrote:Yeah Reaper is the bizznizzzz
Agree. I was complete recording noob but managed to get it working with my line 6 plugins pretty quickly.
Yes but you're exceptional. Not to mention handsome.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

slowfingers wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote: If you're an absolute Noob at recording, Reaper can be a bit daunting. The good thing about Audacity is it' is relatively feature free, limiting if you're good with DAW software already, but great to get started with without confusing the crap out of yourself.

So far I have opened Audacity, poked around without comprehending anything, quickly got the same feeling as women taking me clothes shopping and exited.

It's not an auspicious start. :problem:
But all you do is press the record button and off you go..?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

slowfingers wrote: Now you're telling me I should have guilt? :eh:
it depends...are you catholic?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Must say I've peered at the mystery of my DAW http://studioone.presonus.com/free/ and wondered. I've even got an interface with mic sockets wistfully looking back at me.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

I've been using this (free) one of late and seems ok for my meagre needs, http://www.zynewave.com/, though it's Windows only. Jokosher is a simple one for Linux that's not too bad

With Linux it can be tricky getting some of the external sound cards to work, but the good news is you should be able to just plug your guitar in and as Vince said press the record button. If that doesn't work you could try using Jack (http://jackaudio.org/), which gets a bit more complex to get started with but is pretty good at handling the latency etc.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

Danger Mouse wrote:
darkness wrote:
Yes but you're exceptional. Not to mention handsome.
Lol. Can't disagree with that
AFK.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

alf wrote: ...but the good news is you should be able to just plug your guitar in and as Vince said press the record button.
You guys overestimate me.....plug my guitar into what? :oops:

I still think Digital Imaging is closing my eyes and running my fingers over a woman's body.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

slowfingers wrote:
alf wrote: ...but the good news is you should be able to just plug your guitar in and as Vince said press the record button.
Into the little socket thing on the PC that says either "Microphone" or "Line In".
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

the power socket....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:
slowfingers wrote:
Into the little socket thing on the PC that says either "Microphone" or "Line In".
Seriously? I can do that? I'll need a 6.5-3.5 adapter though. Do I need a preamp or will the guitar run direct? I realise a preamp will vastly improve my tonal options.

Daza moment

See, I told you I know absolutely nothing......