Room mic experimentation with the AFD100

Moderator: Capt. Black

capt abaham
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Room mic experimentation with the AFD100

Post by capt abaham »

Conway wrote:TKO to Bender in the 9th round.

right. so you're saying that Mono is really stereo and mono has a left and a right that are seperate and pannible

is pannible even a word, may as well be because on this thread everything is decided by you, people just like you.
Originally Posted by STEEL KAGE
As for the Vid, IMHO, the guy played the notes but had none of LC vibe or finesse...

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

benderissimo wrote:Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?
you cant have a stereo spectrum on a mono track
As for the Vid, IMHO, the guy played the notes but had none of LC vibe or finesse...

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

capt abaham wrote:

right. so you're saying that Mono is really stereo and mono has a left and a right that are seperate and pannible

is pannible even a word, may as well be because on this thread everything is decided by you, people just like you.
No, I'm saying Bender had you on the ropes and your response was so feeble, the ref threw in the towel for you.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

slash-ed wrote:So... Just the i5:

Both i5 and Red12 summed to centre:

i5 panned centre and Red12 to the right:

on my P.C this feels quite mono

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

Conway wrote:
capt abaham wrote:

No, I'm saying Bender had you on the ropes and your response was so feeble, the ref threw in the towel for you.

i`m still up and punching brother

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

On my headphones, it is clearly stereo. The soundcloud player only shows a single wave form even on stereo tracks. So you can't rely on that.
Ummm....

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

capt abaham wrote:i`m still up and punching brother
Shadow boxing. Elvis has left the building, along with the rest of the crowd.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

capt abaham wrote:
slash-ed wrote:So... Just the i5:

Both i5 and Red12 summed to centre:

i5 panned centre and Red12 to the right:

on my P.C this feels quite mono
http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/por ... s-to-mono-
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

slash-ed wrote:
In before edit + backpedal cycle.
It won't matter - the offending post has been saved in our velvet roped off back secret room thing.

Capt. A - can't decide whether to leave you here for the pack to tear away at you or to slap a ban on you. ..hmmm....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

ok, cool now we are getting somwhere:

from the Link Ed posted

"Does SoundCloud convert my files to mono?
We don't modify the original for download. For the stream, we convert the original into MP3 Joint Stereo for streaming. It's only the waveform that gets mixed down to mono"

so if i listen to the stream am i hearing dual mono or stereo? what is "joint stereo"?

from the net:

MP3 Joint Stereo Encoding
Joint stereo is a method to save some bandwidth by encoding certain parts of the spectrum in mono (i.e. only once) for which the human ear has no directional hearing. These are very low and very high tones.

The bandwidth is saved by recording a wider sum channel and a narrower difference channel, where the difference channel does not contain these spectral components.

This works very well and produces excellent quality at 128 Kbit/s for most pieces of music. The Fraunhofer codecs, for example, use this method.

However, there is one drawback. Some music contains sounds that are deliberately delayed or phase shifted. Such effect boxes are called "flanger", "phaser" and the like. If you encode such music in joint stereo, you will have bad cancelling effects where the high tones appear and disappear all the time, destroying the good original sound. One old example is the accompanying guitar in Paul Simon's "Mrs. Robinson".

Other encoders, like Lame or BladeEnc, record both stereo channels entirely separately. They are free of these distortions. However, to reach the same overall quality, they need some more bits, i.e. at least 160 Kbit/s.

Thus you could try Fraunhofer at 128 Kbit/s first, then listen for any distortions and, if you hear any, abandon the compressed music and compress again with Lame or BladeEnc at 160 Kbit/s or more. But, as memory becomes ever cheaper, you might as well use Lame or any other good encoder with separate stereo and variable bit rate encoding from the start."

Another way out of the dilemma is to use MPEG-4 AAC, which simply has a better compression algorithm and reliably produces excellent quality at 128 Kbit/s or even at 96."
read this link http://audacity.238276.n2.nabble.com/Mp ... 41512.html
Last edited by capt abaham on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

sopachrga wrote:On my headphones, it is clearly stereo. The soundcloud player only shows a single wave form even on stereo tracks. So you can't rely on that.

thanks for the reply

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

capt abaham wrote:
Absolutely correct. However since Ed has two mono sources in a DAW which he has output to a stereo file your answer is redundant.

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

benderissimo wrote:
capt abaham wrote:
Absolutely correct. However since Ed has two mono sources in a DAW which he has output to a stereo file your answer is redundant.
yes, well i did ask him about that earlier.

i thought it must be a software thing otherwise the thread just didnt make any sense

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

So ol' golden ears muzuki can't tell mono from stereo? Say it ain't so. My faith in dudes who work with mics every day has been shattered.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

Some Bozo wrote:So ol' golden ears muzuki can't tell mono from stereo? Say it ain't so. My faith in dudes who work with mics every day has been shattered.
do you really believe i listened to the clips?