WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mr Davison
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 191
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 75 times

WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Mr Davison »

As per title. I know at least 1 Nitro made it here while Custom Audio Boutique were selling them.
Where are you?
Sonic mayhem unleashed

User avatar
The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:40 pm
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 162 times
Contact:

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by The Scarecrow »

Pretty sure I remember seeing one at CAB. I was tempted by it but ended up finding my Quick Rod a bit more broad in tone.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

FYI, I'm NOT Scarecrow101 on Trade Me.... just The_Scarecrow :mental:

Mr Davison
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Mr Davison »

The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 am Pretty sure I remember seeing one at CAB. I was tempted by it but ended up finding my Quick Rod a bit more broad in tone.
It had a black headshell & red dials. Never saw it in person just on his site, it had been purchased & then traded back in with CAB. Went in for a visit but it had resold. I have a Competition (single channel QR) & a Pro Mod (KT88 loaded QR) but have always been curious to hear the Nitro in person.
Sonic mayhem unleashed

User avatar
The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:40 pm
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 162 times
Contact:

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by The Scarecrow »

Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:43 am
The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 am Pretty sure I remember seeing one at CAB. I was tempted by it but ended up finding my Quick Rod a bit more broad in tone.
It had a black headshell & red dials. Never saw it in person just on his site, it had been purchased & then traded back in with CAB. Went in for a visit but it had resold. I have a Competition (single channel QR) & a Pro Mod (KT88 loaded QR) but have always been curious to hear the Nitro in person.

I may have had a jangle on that amp when Ryan was retubing my QR some time back. I suspect there can't be more than 15-25 or so Splawns in NZ overall.

Do you find the KT88's in the Pro Mod push the QR into a more robust low end? My only comment about the QR is that playing it alone sounds a bit too middy , especially through the 'wrong' cab i.e. something without a more modern speaker sound. BUT it cuts through well in a band situation being the offset.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

FYI, I'm NOT Scarecrow101 on Trade Me.... just The_Scarecrow :mental:

Mr Davison
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Mr Davison »

The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm
Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:43 am
The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 am Pretty sure I remember seeing one at CAB. I was tempted by it but ended up finding my Quick Rod a bit more broad in tone.
It had a black headshell & red dials. Never saw it in person just on his site, it had been purchased & then traded back in with CAB. Went in for a visit but it had resold. I have a Competition (single channel QR) & a Pro Mod (KT88 loaded QR) but have always been curious to hear the Nitro in person.

I may have had a jangle on that amp when Ryan was retubing my QR some time back. I suspect there can't be more than 15-25 or so Splawns in NZ overall.

Do you find the KT88's in the Pro Mod push the QR into a more robust low end? My only comment about the QR is that playing it alone sounds a bit too middy , especially through the 'wrong' cab i.e. something without a more modern speaker sound. BUT it cuts through well in a band situation being the offset.
Yes, I think a more robust low end is a good description. Most of my live playing up until a year ago was in B standard & the kt88s do a great job of keeping it tight down low even with the slightly extended low frequency. There is also more presence to the lower mids giving a slightly fuller sound without smoothing it out.
Plenty of online comments about excess or weird midrange, but as you've stated & my belief is it sits perfectly in a live mix (which for me is what matters most). Cab choice seems more critical with Splawns compared with other amps I own & even tho they are mid heavy I really like v30s with them!
I run the pro mod thru an orange cab (I find the wicker grille helps tame high end sizzle so I can run plenty of gain without fizzing) but the competition is a very aggressive sounding amp & sits perfectly with a bogner uberkab. The uberkab brings out more of the amps low end & gives it a far more satisfying tone to my ears. Have only once played/seen a Splawn cab & it was white with a white QR head sitting atop. I liked that QR but it seemed slightly less aggressive (less high end presence?) than my competition & possibly more mid heavy. Hard to guage as I didn't ab them & was using someone else's guitar. I run a dual rig live & there is always a Splawn on one side of the stage!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

User avatar
The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:40 pm
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 162 times
Contact:

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by The Scarecrow »

Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:43 pm
The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm
Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:43 am

It had a black headshell & red dials. Never saw it in person just on his site, it had been purchased & then traded back in with CAB. Went in for a visit but it had resold. I have a Competition (single channel QR) & a Pro Mod (KT88 loaded QR) but have always been curious to hear the Nitro in person.

I may have had a jangle on that amp when Ryan was retubing my QR some time back. I suspect there can't be more than 15-25 or so Splawns in NZ overall.

Do you find the KT88's in the Pro Mod push the QR into a more robust low end? My only comment about the QR is that playing it alone sounds a bit too middy , especially through the 'wrong' cab i.e. something without a more modern speaker sound. BUT it cuts through well in a band situation being the offset.
Yes, I think a more robust low end is a good description. Most of my live playing up until a year ago was in B standard & the kt88s do a great job of keeping it tight down low even with the slightly extended low frequency. There is also more presence to the lower mids giving a slightly fuller sound without smoothing it out.
Plenty of online comments about excess or weird midrange, but as you've stated & my belief is it sits perfectly in a live mix (which for me is what matters most). Cab choice seems more critical with Splawns compared with other amps I own & even tho they are mid heavy I really like v30s with them!
I run the pro mod thru an orange cab (I find the wicker grille helps tame high end sizzle so I can run plenty of gain without fizzing) but the competition is a very aggressive sounding amp & sits perfectly with a bogner uberkab. The uberkab brings out more of the amps low end & gives it a far more satisfying tone to my ears. Have only once played/seen a Splawn cab & it was white with a white QR head sitting atop. I liked that QR but it seemed slightly less aggressive (less high end presence?) than my competition & possibly more mid heavy. Hard to guage as I didn't ab them & was using someone else's guitar. I run a dual rig live & there is always a Splawn on one side of the stage!
I've got a white QR. Older '05 model according to Scott Splawn (emailed them and got a reply direct from him) before they change the mid control on the clean channel to a gain.

Run it through a Splawn cab (black, which I'll eventually retolex in white once it wears more, but it's mostly stationary these days) which has a unique X pattern setup of 2x Vintage 30's and 2x Big Blocks, which are basically modeled on the Celestion G12H30 Heritage. The combo provides a solid midrange but a bit of a low boost to taper off that middy bump. I think Splawns definitely need to be played though beefier built cabs (Orange/Bogner , or their own quads) to really get the best out of them.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

FYI, I'm NOT Scarecrow101 on Trade Me.... just The_Scarecrow :mental:

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 20901
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 2912 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Molly »

I had two which I now have the pleasure of regretting selling. A Competition head and a Quick Rod (? something like that) 112 combo in vintage Marshall livery. I gather they're likely to have a verse or two from the Bible hidden under the Tolex. Quirk of Splawn I guess. I recall a white half stack on TM once too but don't know if that's the one you're looking for.

None of this helps your original question, sorry.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 16915
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:08 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Has liked: 397 times
Been liked: 605 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:35 pm I had two which I now have the pleasure of regretting selling. A Competition head and a Quick Rod (? something like that) 112 combo in vintage Marshall livery. I gather they're likely to have a verse or two from the Bible hidden under the Tolex. Quirk of Splawn I guess. I recall a white half stack on TM once too but don't know if that's the one you're looking for.

None of this helps your original question, sorry.
I remember wanting to get my hands on that Competition, but ended up blowing my wad on Matt's Charvel instead. Wish I could have had both TBH, I feel like they'd be a great pairing.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 20901
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 2912 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:40 pm
Molly wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:35 pm I had two which I now have the pleasure of regretting selling. A Competition head and a Quick Rod (? something like that) 112 combo in vintage Marshall livery. I gather they're likely to have a verse or two from the Bible hidden under the Tolex. Quirk of Splawn I guess. I recall a white half stack on TM once too but don't know if that's the one you're looking for.

None of this helps your original question, sorry.
I remember wanting to get my hands on that Competition, but ended up blowing my wad on Matt's Charvel instead. Wish I could have had both TBH, I feel like they'd be a great pairing.
I'm sure they would be. When I think about why I sold it I suspect it was some nonsense in my head about it being too 'metal' and about how it wouldn't suit when The Black Crowes phoned to offer me the gig. Well, it wasn't and they never did.

Mr Davison
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Mr Davison »

Molly wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:44 pm
hamo wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:40 pm
Molly wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:35 pm I had two which I now have the pleasure of regretting selling. A Competition head and a Quick Rod (? something like that) 112 combo in vintage Marshall livery. I gather they're likely to have a verse or two from the Bible hidden under the Tolex. Quirk of Splawn I guess. I recall a white half stack on TM once too but don't know if that's the one you're looking for.

None of this helps your original question, sorry.
I remember wanting to get my hands on that Competition, but ended up blowing my wad on Matt's Charvel instead. Wish I could have had both TBH, I feel like they'd be a great pairing.
I'm sure they would be. When I think about why I sold it I suspect it was some nonsense in my head about it being too 'metal' and about how it wouldn't suit when The Black Crowes phoned to offer me the gig. Well, it wasn't and they never did.
IMG20210608133252.jpg
IMG20210608133252.jpg (5.35 MiB) Viewed 299 times
Here's your old Competition atop a Bogner Uberkab (v30s & gt75s in an x pattern). It certainly wouldn't be out of place at a Black Crowes gig, it just happens to be able to get a lot more boogie on if required!
The 2 Splawn amps in the pic have consecutive serial numbers, the competition was the next amp built after the pro mod! And yes there are religious references internally within the amp. There is a psalm number on the inside of the headshell & another on the inner chassis. Amp seemed to go just fine playing Satanfest a few years ago!!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

User avatar
StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:41 pm
Location: Between a rock and a blues place
Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 575 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by StratMatt »

I think I owned that Pro Mod at one stage too, bought it from Danny. That was a sweet amp for sure. Reason for selling is unknown.
"It's called music theory, not music fact" - EVH

User avatar
Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3423
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: Under a bridge,somewhere in chch.
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 373 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Kris »

i had the splawn X-cab version of the bogner-or one of them at least( man-o war and guv'nors).Sold it cheap and then that punisher bower got it for meth pricing....bloody makes ya seethe in ya trackies i tells ya.
Who do you play with? trying to rack my brain if i saw a splawn on stage down here haha!

Mr Davison
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Mr Davison »

Kris wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:42 am i had the splawn X-cab version of the bogner-or one of them at least( man-o war and guv'nors).Sold it cheap and then that punisher bower got it for meth pricing....bloody makes ya seethe in ya trackies i tells ya.
Who do you play with? trying to rack my brain if i saw a splawn on stage down here haha!
IMG20210609012441.jpg
IMG20210609012441.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 224 times
Up until a couple of years ago I was grinding my way thru life with one of these grind luminaries. Nowadays I simply whore myself out for a few cover gigs, although thats gonna die off also as I head up to Northland in 3 months. Tumbleweeds on! Then again Kataia could be full of bogans itching to get their grind on, here's hoping
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Jops
Tokai
Tokai
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Kaipara
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by Jops »

Man, you must've done something real bad to end up in Kaitaia this side of eternity...

murky
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: WTB: SPLAWN SUPER COMP OR NITRO

Post by murky »

The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 pm
I've got a white QR. Older '05 model according to Scott Splawn (emailed them and got a reply direct from him) before they change the mid control on the clean channel to a gain.
That’ll be my old one! Bought it in direct when they were the next big thing on TGP, and before CAB got in on the action. Was probably the first in the country.....

I recall forcing myself to choose between it, and my silver jubilee. The Jube won....

My recollection is it was real smooth. And thick in the lower mids. Nice amp all up. Say hi from me.

Post Reply