robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 124 times

Looking for a pedal steel

Post by robnobcorncob »

I realise that finding one in NZ is a long shot at best, but after years of playing lap steel I'm on the search for a pedal steel.

Single neck, E9 "Emmons setup" is good, I don't need a double neck.

Thanks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 4853 times
Been liked: 2628 times

Re: Looking for a pedal steel

Post by jeremyb »

Maybe get in touch with Paddy Long here in Chch? he's the man for pedal steel!
Cause I’m bigger than my body gives me credit for…

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 515 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

There was a double neck on TM very recently. OTT for sure but it was a nice instruments for $1500

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:21 am There was a double neck on TM very recently. OTT for sure but it was a nice instruments for $1500
The "Fuzzy" branded one? Saw that, too many necks for me. There was a Carter Professional too but again, double neck.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

robnobcorncob wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:58 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:21 am There was a double neck on TM very recently. OTT for sure but it was a nice instruments for $1500
The "Fuzzy" branded one? Saw that, too many necks for me. There was a Carter Professional too but again, double neck.
The Carter. I'm in the same boat of wanting a single but it's hard to find anything here.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 pm
The Carter. I'm in the same boat of wanting a single but it's hard to find anything here.
Yeah, and shipping from the USA is eye watering in itself, let alone the cost of a steel!

Fuzzy was 1700, Carter was 3200.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 304 times

Post by Dharmajester »

robnobcorncob wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Yeah, and shipping from the USA is eye watering in itself, let alone the cost of a steel!

Wouldn't touch the Fuzzy with the proverbial bargepole. I did however buy the Carter even though I only want the E9 neck.
I've had a few Pedal Steel's and would recommend buying a professional model every time.
Cheap guitars lack mass and move around awkwardly when using the knee levers. The lack of mass also tends to produce a fairly thin sound.
An advantage of the double neck is the extra five pedals which you can easily reconfigure to use on the E9 neck for more exotic changes should you wish.
I bought the Carter to use in recording some instrumental tracks and doubt I'll be keeping it longterm so kep an eye on the For Sale threads if interested.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Dharmajester wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm
robnobcorncob wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Wouldn't touch the Fuzzy with the proverbial bargepole. I did however buy the Carter even though I only want the E9 neck.
I've had a few Pedal Steel's and would recommend buying a professional model every time.
Cheap guitars lack mass and move around awkwardly when using the knee levers. The lack of mass also tends to produce a fairly thin sound.
An advantage of the double neck is the extra five pedals which you can easily reconfigure to use on the E9 neck for more exotic changes should you wish.
I bought the Carter to use in recording some instrumental tracks and doubt I'll be keeping it longterm so kep an eye on the For Sale threads if interested.
Good score on the Carter. I didn't realise you could reconfigure the extra five pedals for the E9 neck too, but that makes perfect sense.

If you do decide to part with it, please let me know.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by WellyBlues »

So what lap steels have you been using Rob and what sort of things have you been doing with them?

If you have a Weissenborn you are looking to move on then I will be interested in a month or so time.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Not to steal Rob's thread but I have a nice vintage Hilo Weissenborn style guitar, ex Rob, that is under used and I'd be happy to sell. It's got a JJB Electronics pickup installed and a hard case.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by WellyBlues »

ah, yes, well, ahem, we did discuss that quite some time ago before I pulled back due to Covid uncertainty. I thought you had sold it via Trademe. I'll definitely keep it in mind closer to the time. I am expecting some money that will allow me to do something, finally.

Still interested in what Rob's up to.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

WellyBlues wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:39 pm So what lap steels have you been using Rob and what sort of things have you been doing with them?
'39 Rick B6 Bakelite (C6) and Mid '20s Weissenborn, self accompanied chord-melody arrangements (of varying quality). It's a keeper.
If you have a Weissenborn you are looking to move on then I will be interested in a month or so time.
Not for sale sorry, but Ben's Hilo is a great guitar. Hilo's come up for sale every once in a while, but the majority are the "625" model which is fine, but Ben's is a slightly higher spec with a spruce top and sounds really sweet and more detailed/articulate than the 625 models. I don't recall the model number of his one.
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:53 pm Not to steal Rob's thread but I have a nice vintage Hilo Weissenborn style guitar, ex Rob, that is under used and I'd be happy to sell. It's got a JJB Electronics pickup installed and a hard case.