Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 293 times

Zoom H4n or similar

Post by Kris »

hey team,projects piling up like snowdrifts in a blizzard so am in need of a cheap portable field recorder dealio-i prefer the H4N as im most familiar with it but would consider anything with an overdub capabilty.Not looking at ios/andriod interfaces as its primarily the x/y mics im after.
Price wise im looking at under 300 ideally.cheers!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Zoom H4n or similar

Post by Capt. Black »

Give me a day to decide if I want to sell mine...
Founder of The Mysterons. "They promised they'd never play again... They lied"
Producer. "Looking for the sound of a sow's ear made from a silk purse with a side of whiskey and hot bitches? Call me."
Manager. "I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for awesome!"

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Tascam make a couple of models under $300 brand new, not sure if they will do it for you feature wise though.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 580 times
Been liked: 857 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Isn't that swine flu ?
Indeed I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably wintering with his mother in Guildford. A cat, rain, Vim under the sink, and both bars on. But old now, there is no true beauty without decay.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

H1N1 was bird flu i think.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 3456 times
Been liked: 1840 times

Post by jeremyb »

I've often wondered about these types of things, that pedal show uses one over a laptop / interface kind of setup, from a practical viewpoint they must be great for garage band recording etc...

RobRoyMcCoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

jeremyb wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:17 pm
I've often wondered about these types of things, that pedal show uses one over a laptop / interface kind of setup, from a practical viewpoint they must be great for garage band recording etc...
In my experience this Zoom unit is a good option. I use it to record all my jams. Portable, rugged, simple, good storage, excellent recording, can run on battery or mains via adapter. I would recommend it.
Greenstone Amplifiers

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 3456 times
Been liked: 1840 times

Post by jeremyb »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am
jeremyb wrote:
In my experience this Zoom unit is a good option. I use it to record all my jams. Portable, rugged, simple, good storage, excellent recording, can run on battery or mains via adapter. I would recommend it.
Nice! I guess these days I'm only playing in my bedroom and my PC based recording setup is about a metre from my amp which I just run direct into my interface :lol:

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

yeah ive had a few iterations of these-and i keep flicking between setups of band to home (like your setup jb) so keep hocking them off haha.I had a h6 for a while which was great,could record Stereo OH/kick/snare and two guides all on an sd card on a handheld unit.Only bummer is a a lack of decent outs for studio use, usaully just a 1/8' HP jack.Cant have everything though eh!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

jeremyb wrote:
They are a bit cool. Mine has 2x Condenser mics and 2x Mic inputs. You can record up to 4 channels on the thing at once all from batteries, but you can also plug it in with USB and use it as a 4x input audio interface. It's great for quick demos and the best thing I've ever found for recording live gigs - get a L&R from the sound system, add stereo room mic and you've got a sweet recording

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

rickenbackerkid wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:25 pm

They are a bit cool. Mine has 2x Condenser mics and 2x Mic inputs. You can record up to 4 channels on the thing at once all from batteries, but you can also plug it in with USB and use it as a 4x input audio interface. It's great for quick demos and the best thing I've ever found for recording live gigs - get a L&R from the sound system, add stereo room mic and you've got a sweet recording
have done this a few times-2 channel feed from the desk mixed with the x/y in the room-really feckin cool!
Have potentially got this sussed for now-just gotta see what option suits my overstretched budget