Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY godgrinder
It's worthwhile to ignore aesthetics for once. The key thing with historics is that Gibson keeps the best mahogany for them. They might talk about trivial things like glue/plastic/tenon in the product copy but at the end of the day it boils down to a nice chunk of mah for the body. That's why DH and me buy them although we couldn't care less about classic rock virtuosos that use 50's LPs.
BY DongHua
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Thanks, feel free to PM some more info to me.

Search up Jeff Beck R4.

Belonged to Steve in Dunners. He thought there might be a nice top under the paint. If you're still minded to strip something, this could be worth a go.

It sounds stupid but a reservation on this one is that I don’t really like Jeff Beck. Same as I probably wouldn’t look at buying a Jimmy Page LP, daft aye.
But hey happy to consider it. At this stage I’m looking for a keeper rather than something I’ll enjoy for a bit then look to flick on

that's exactly what I am trying to say before, you need to decide if geuine LesPaul tone is your priority or not. And you need to be very firm/certain about it. :thumbup:

there are far too many well-built singlecuts copies out there, and only GibsonUSA sounds like a Les Paul, and only HistricalReissuses will top that.
BY jvpp
:D I like that - Hystirical Reissues
BY GrantB
godgrinder wrote:It's worthwhile to ignore aesthetics for once. The key thing with historics is that Gibson keeps the best mahogany for them. They might talk about trivial things like glue/plastic/tenon in the product copy but at the end of the day it boils down to a nice chunk of mah for the body. That's why DH and me buy them although we couldn't care less about classic rock virtuosos that use 50's LPs.

I typed too much earlier...but the above also sums it up for me.
Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys, appreciate it. I am 99% certain that the LP I have now is sold so I'm definitely keeping my eyes open.

Work bonuses are tracking pretty good (I'll know what I'm due by the end of this month but won't get paid out until mid August), so if all goes to plan I should have anywhere around $4-$4.5k to put forward :-)
BY GrantB
you should do pretty good with that loot.
BY slash-ed
GrantB wrote:
godgrinder wrote:It's worthwhile to ignore aesthetics for once. The key thing with historics is that Gibson keeps the best mahogany for them. They might talk about trivial things like glue/plastic/tenon in the product copy but at the end of the day it boils down to a nice chunk of mah for the body. That's why DH and me buy them although we couldn't care less about classic rock virtuosos that use 50's LPs.

I typed too much earlier...but the above also sums it up for me.

As a recent entrant to the Historic owners club, a hearty +1

My R8 has the most subtle flame top of any LP I've owned, but somehow it's the best LP I've owned. I'm more inspired to play an LP again than I've been in years.

Think about it this way also - all Standards are Swiss cheesed or chambered, right. And yet they often still come in at 10lbs. Historics aren't weight relieved, but often come in a decent amount lighter than that. The wood they're keeping for them is definitely different.

...but tone is in the Kemper anyway :lol:
Yeah, debating on whether to spend the whole lot on a great guitar or spend slightly less and buy some pedals. I want a 'RangeMaster' for the AC30 and a couple of others I have my eye on. Really liking the look and specs of this one

Zaulkin wrote:That belongs to KNNZ on here. It looks lovely.

He didn’t tell me about that one ?! No I’m not on Facebook - guess I can always PM him ;-)
BY codedog
After all the posts about Gibson reserving their best woods for Reissues I had a wee look around Reverb. Wow... quit a weight range between non-RI and RI weights! Some of those RI ones were only 1 lb heavier than my strat!
BY MrDINO
I had a 68 RI LP custom. It had a massive thick flame top. The only issue I had with it was it’s inherent tone was thin. I’m picking the wood was well chosen or maybe not but that guitar did not lend itself to rock music which is why you buy an LP right? A glitch in the matrix maybe :)