EOI - 2x non-functioning Atomic CLRs

ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules
ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 278 times

EOI - 2x non-functioning Atomic CLRs

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Long story short.

I have two Atomic CLR cabs, with speakers all intact and one even has a studio slip padded cover. But the amp modules in both are toast.

I sent one unit back to Atomic in the USA. 18 months later and US$400 the poorer (after they said they fixed it), it returned still non-functional. They've since not responded to any emails. Bastards.

So I figure these are two well made cabs, with supposedly good speakers (Eminence something rather, supposedly what they make for FRFR use), and one with a nice padded cover. I could either try to make some use of them myself. But they'd likely sit in storage for another year or two before I did anything. So - does anyone have any interest in these and have something of interest to flick my way?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 834 times
Been liked: 803 times

Re: EOI - 2x non-functioning Atomic CLRs

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:10 pm Long story short.

I have two Atomic CLR cabs, with speakers all intact and one even has a studio slip padded cover. But the amp modules in both are toast.

I sent one unit back to Atomic in the USA. 18 months later and US$400 the poorer (after they said they fixed it), it returned still non-functional. They've since not responded to any emails. Bastards.

So I figure these are two well made cabs, with supposedly good speakers (Eminence something rather, supposedly what they make for FRFR use), and one with a nice padded cover. I could either try to make some use of them myself. But they'd likely sit in storage for another year or two before I did anything. So - does anyone have any interest in these and have something of interest to flick my way?
That’s a sad story. How much do you want for them? And any idea why the power amps failed?

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

No idea why the amps failed, although google suggests it’s not as isolated a problem as one would wish for.

As far as what I want for them - no idea. Not quite F All. But probably after something fun rather than cash. A cool pedal and some donation to the forum…

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 782 times
Been liked: 473 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I sold someone my old one and it eventually had the same issue. Just like you, they ignored my emails. Eventually got a response - The repair quote was nuts.

Just a hunch, but I think they just come up with feasibly cool ideas and mass produce them in China without proper QC. The amplifire pedals had loads of issues.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 851 times
Been liked: 738 times

Post by robthemac »

I'd spam all their social media pages until you get a response.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2250 times
Been liked: 3443 times

Post by Bg »

I use one as a bass cab, works a treat!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by opsguy »

BG has my old one. Same issue as Kiwiaxe. I tried getting it fixed through the local distributor and Atomic in the US. They shagged me around for 2 years and in the end stopped replying. I told them I would pay for the fix and the freight etc, they were disingenuous at best. I would never recommend an Atomic product to anyone, nor would I use the NZ distributor again. I replaced it with a line 6 powercab and it has been flawless, would recommend.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2353 times
Been liked: 469 times

Post by Cdog »

Bummer! That's a bit of a gear horror story there 🙁

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 5616 times
Been liked: 3011 times

Post by jeremyb »

Yikes, and not like they were cheap either!
Birds aren’t real.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

If someone was more electronic-smart than me (not hard), I’d have thought it wouldn’t be too hard to make a passive crossover for each at appropriate settings, and then one could use one of various class-d amp options

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Kris »

I was going to say,a lot of them have chinese class-d amps in them.You could prob just replace the power section with one of those for a fraction of what they would charge.or a potential new owner could!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I'd take another if going for peanuts ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

opsguy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:34 am BG has my old one. Same issue as Kiwiaxe. I tried getting it fixed through the local distributor and Atomic in the US. They shagged me around for 2 years and in the end stopped replying. I told them I would pay for the fix and the freight etc, they were disingenuous at best. I would never recommend an Atomic product to anyone, nor would I use the NZ distributor again. I replaced it with a line 6 powercab and it has been flawless, would recommend.
It works nicely as a not heavy bass speaker :) Sadly the bugger-a amp weighs 3 times as much :D

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Incredibly shocking service. Wow.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by MattAnt »

Well this doesn’t make me feel great about the CLR I bought off ya!
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe