FS: Mac Pro (2013) 12-core MONSTER $3k

ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules
ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 278 times

FS: Mac Pro (2013) 12-core MONSTER $3k

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I'm sorting out our current overload of computers in our house. And I've decided that this true beast of a computer should make its way out to be used by someone who will put it to good use.

These Mac Pros (aka the trashcan) are a love them or hate them kind of thing. I personally think they are one of the most beautiful pieces of engineering that's come out of the computing world. Back when Apple was serious about design with ooh la la.

This cracker is (I believe) the highest spec they made, and was only available on custom order. 12 core, 2.7GHz Xeon E5. 64GB DDR3 1866MHz ram. 1TB SSD. 6x thunderbolt2 connectors, 2x AMD FirePro D500 graphics cards. Totally silent. Intel so can run bootcamp (dual boot windows and MacOS). Eats up professional software like Logic, etc. All in a stunning case. And happily running Monterey 12.0.1 (the latest version of MacOS).

Comes with a couple of TB2->DisplayPort cables, plus at least one (if not more - I need to see what I've got) TB2-TB3 connectors.

It will be sad to see this go.

Might be happier if there's some lovely guitar gear traded for it :) but cash works too

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: FS: Mac Pro (2013) 12-core MONSTER $3k

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Less demand for this than I had anticipated :(

Open to negotiate on price. And still happy to consider trades

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by sty »

That's a hell of a machine, and as a long time complete Mac addict I'd certainly love to own one of these as novelty for my desktop that could do useful stuff, in the same way I always wanted to own a Cube but never quite got round to getting hold of one.

I suspect you're banging hard up against the new Apple Silicon based machines which while no longer expandable internally they are actually complete beasts I've got an M1 PRO macbookPro for work and I've hardly scratched the surface powerwise yet but it's impressive on code builds etc.

Good luck with this as these absolutely deserve good homes, and hopefully doesn't end up like my top of the line Dual G5 Mac Pro sat lovingly unused by my desk

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Kris »

start of the year id have jumped on this,but have a similar spec pc now.Well a more gaming focussed similar spec!

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

The big thing also still going for these machines over the M1 based ones are that there's software that still doesn't run on M1s - and in particular Bootcamp :) so you can have this machine running both MacOS and Windows.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Oh and the multi-monitor support

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:49 pm Oh and the multi-monitor support
Multimonitor support is now a solved problem on M1 PRO and M1 MAX machines, still won't run windows code native though

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:48 pm The big thing also still going for these machines over the M1 based ones are that there's software that still doesn't run on M1s - and in particular Bootcamp :) so you can have this machine running both MacOS and Windows.
The legacy software thing is a good selling point, especially since it's almost the top of the line machine for the end of the Intel era. My mate works for a big engineering works and they have plenty of vintage macs that they keep on life support for accessing ancient engineering drawings done of SW that was never updated for machines they maintain that are long out of production but still working hard in factories around the world.