Expressions of interest - amps and pedals

ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules
ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 1827 times

Re: Expressions of interest - amps and pedals

Post by Slowy »

MattAnt wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:53 am Ha ha it was in the pedalboard thread but here ya go...

095.JPG
095.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 283 times
:D

Question:
I have trouble integrating mine into the board. It has the most amazing range of tones but its gain is way more than anything else. I can either set gain for everything else and blow my ears with the Boiling Point or have a huge volume drop when I switch it off. What am I doing wrong?
If a man says he's going to fix it, he will.
No need to remind him every 6 months.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by MattAnt »

Slowy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 pm
MattAnt wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:53 am Ha ha it was in the pedalboard thread but here ya go...

095.JPG

:D

Question:
I have trouble integrating mine into the board. It has the most amazing range of tones but its gain is way more than anything else. I can either set gain for everything else and blow my ears with the Boiling Point or have a huge volume drop when I switch it off. What am I doing wrong?
Man so cool to see another! Definitely won't ever let mine go as too hard to find again and something really special.

With the settings in your pic not surprised you are blowing your ears ha ha. The middle clipping selection on the right hand toggle switch is extremely loud with basically no compression. You can get super sweet low gain sounds in this setting because it is so open, but I have the volume down at like 9 oclock when using this setting. Your volume is probably still too loud for the bottom setting as well, but probably ok for the top setting (most compressed).

That must also be crazy gainy with the gain up that high, I typically have my gain on the 9oclock click or the next click up, and even that click is border line too much for me sometimes. There is less gain on the middle clipping toggle though of course.

Lastly it is a bright pedal so it is rare for me to run my tone knob over 12oclock, but my amps are already bright.

Take all the above with a grain of salt, every guitar and amp is different so my observations may not ring true in your setup. What kind of sound are you trying to get out of it? My most used sound is probably bottom position on the clipping toggle, 9oclock or click above on the gain, tone around 10 oclock, bass cut on if playing with band (bottom position of left toggle), bass boost if playing by myself (up position), volume at unity, which is probably around 10oclock for the above settings.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by Conway »

If you can't get it to work for you Slowy, I'll have it back! :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm If you can't get it to work for you Slowy, I'll have it back! :wink:
My friend, there is not a snowball's chance in hell. :D

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MattAnt wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:15 pm
Man so cool to see another! Definitely won't ever let mine go as too hard to find again and something really special.

With the settings in your pic not surprised you are blowing your ears ha ha. The middle clipping selection on the right hand toggle switch is extremely loud with basically no compression. You can get super sweet low gain sounds in this setting because it is so open, but I have the volume down at like 9 oclock when using this setting. Your volume is probably still too loud for the bottom setting as well, but probably ok for the top setting (most compressed).

That must also be crazy gainy with the gain up that high, I typically have my gain on the 9oclock click or the next click up, and even that click is border line too much for me sometimes. There is less gain on the middle clipping toggle though of course.

Lastly it is a bright pedal so it is rare for me to run my tone knob over 12oclock, but my amps are already bright.

Take all the above with a grain of salt, every guitar and amp is different so my observations may not ring true in your setup. What kind of sound are you trying to get out of it? My most used sound is probably bottom position on the clipping toggle, 9oclock or click above on the gain, tone around 10 oclock, bass cut on if playing with band (bottom position of left toggle), bass boost if playing by myself (up position), volume at unity, which is probably around 10oclock for the above settings.
Don't take those settings too seriously....
I've used this guide for most things. On this page are several of the best tones I've ever had but they do require the gain. At one stage I was looking for a second Boiling Point so I could switch between them but that didn't happen.
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG (139.8 KiB) Viewed 209 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 4853 times
Been liked: 2628 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 pm I have trouble integrating mine into the board. It has the most amazing range of tones but its gain is way more than anything else. I can either set gain for everything else and blow my ears with the Boiling Point or have a huge volume drop when I switch it off. What am I doing wrong?
You could try a compressor / limiter after it to even out the volume, or.... you can do the Frusciante trick and have something always on (he uses the preamp in the boss ce-1) either a clean boost or another OD with gain low and level high might do it after your boiling point so your input level is high enough that the amp is always compressing the signal, your amp probably needs to be up fairly high too, but I've played around with this before when I was going full fanboi and had a DS-2 and it was the only way to control the volume jump.
Cause I’m bigger than my body gives me credit for…

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Slowy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:55 am
MattAnt wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:15 pm

Don't take those settings too seriously....
I've used this guide for most things. On this page are several of the best tones I've ever had but they do require the gain. At one stage I was looking for a second Boiling Point so I could switch between them but that didn't happen.IMG_4356.JPG

Oooh thanks for these, don’t think I’ve seen them before. Man some of those high gain settings… will have to muck around with them.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MattAnt wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Oooh thanks for these, don’t think I’ve seen them before. Man some of those high gain settings… will have to muck around with them.
I think you're about to understand what I was going on about.
On the upside, you think the pedal's good now? Wait until you get into that list!
Health tip: Start with your amp volume low....really low.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Slowy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 pm

On the upside, you think the pedal's good now? Wait until you get into that list!
Mmmmm I don’t really do anything but unity gain (or a hair above it), otherwise how on earth do you make it work live
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MattAnt wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:14 pm
Slowy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 pm

Mmmmm I don’t really do anything but unity gain (or a hair above it), otherwise how on earth do you make it work live
This was my initial point. However you should at least try it. It can do the most wonderful things.