FS: Lindsay Marks 12 fret Model 00 acoustic guitar $1,000

ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules
ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 693 times

FS: Lindsay Marks 12 fret Model 00 acoustic guitar $1,000

Post by olegmcnoleg »

This guitar is awesome. It was built by NZ Luthier Lindsay Marks.

All solid wood, designed to look like a much older guitar (1950s?), but using the best of today's woods and construction methods.

it is roughly the size of an 00 guitar, slightly smaller than a Martin 00, but also a bit deeper, to give more bass.

The top is solid Torrefied Sitka Spruce. Torrefied timber is slowly heated to replicate the ageing that would naturally happen over time. As a result, the guitar sounds old, and the process also leaves the Spruce darker than usual. It has extremely dense grain, you normally only see this quality of wood used on very high end, hand-built instruments. It has modern bracing inside, and the braces are scalloped to a point to decrease mass where possible (= more resonance).

The back and sides are solid Pau Ferro, sometimes called Bolivian Rosewood. It has a lovely figuring to it.

The neck is solid Mahogany, and a nice light shade. 12 frets before it joins the body. It is a thick neck. The fingerboard is a tad wider (1 & 7/8") than you usually see on acoustics (1 & 3/4"), but narrower than a classical guitar (2"). it is also quartersawn, so it resists warping. Given that it is a thick, quartersawn neck, and that it is shorter than the usual 14 frets, it does not have a truss rod. It was built several years ago, has not needed attention at all, and has been completely stable during my ownership (just in case that concerns you). The tuners are a Kluson copy made by Golden Age Restoration tuners.

Fretboard is Ebony and is edged all round with antique cream binding, as is the body--the body binding was sourced directly from a '50s guitar. It even has nibs at the fret ends. 5th fret marker is Maple, as is the headstock motif. Bridge is Indian Rosewood, with Ivoroid bridge pins and compensated bone saddle, and a bone nut. It has a built in pickup, but I'm not sure what make it is. Active though.

The action is very low, set up for fingerstyle, and it plays really easily with no buzzing. Strings are currently Elixir Bronze (.012 - 0.53). Scale length is 25".

The sound is very balanced between the bass and the trebles, which means you hear more of the trebles than you would on a bigger guitar. It reminds me of the sounds of early Jethro Tull (the small Martin guitar that Ian Anderson used) when it is strummed. It sounds bell-like and clear when it is picked. It has heaps of character.

The finish is hand-applied French polish, with little or no grain filler applied first, so the back & sides are not perfectly smooth. It has a couple of imperfections, the worst of which is at the heel, as shown in the photo below.

Comes with a good hard case that is almost new.

Genuine reason for sale. I'm prepared to sell this for what it owes me, to the right buyer (i.e. somebody who does not want to flip it for a quick profit).

PM me if you want more details, or if you are live close to central Auckland and want to try it out.
IMG_5081.jpeg
IMG_5081.jpeg (395.02 KiB) Viewed 233 times
IMG_5077.jpeg
IMG_5077.jpeg (305.94 KiB) Viewed 233 times
IMG_5081.jpeg
IMG_5081.jpeg (395.02 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Attachments
IMG_5082.jpeg
IMG_5082.jpeg (335.08 KiB) Viewed 233 times

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: FS: Lindsay Marks 12 fret Model 00 acoustic guitar $1,000

Post by olegmcnoleg »

More photos
IMG_5071.jpeg
IMG_5071.jpeg (467.77 KiB) Viewed 232 times
IMG_5072.jpeg
IMG_5072.jpeg (327.75 KiB) Viewed 232 times
IMG_5080.jpeg
IMG_5080.jpeg (312.8 KiB) Viewed 232 times

vinylguy
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by vinylguy »

you lost me at the nut width...

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 330 times

Post by Starfire »

That looks very nice.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Starfire wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:50 pm That looks very nice.
Yes, it does. It would not look out of place in a Tarantino movie.

Though I hope it would not meet the same fate!