Rockshop Albany - High End Guitars taken ...

Post your stolen goods lists here

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: Rockshop Albany - High End Guitars taken ...

Post by hamo »

NZRS-Dave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:23 pm That sucks, Slowy.

I wasn't meaning to infer that the lack of service was in some way related to you. Apologies.

Having grumpy customer is great training but so frustrated as for many customers - there are other options - people can purchase elsewhere and overseas so we do need to work harder to keep the customers we have.
Honest question Dave - what sort of training do your retail staff get? I find it really variable in the Wellington store, consistently better in Lower Hutt.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

NZRS-Dave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:23 pm That sucks, Slowy.

I wasn't meaning to infer that the lack of service was in some way related to you. Apologies.

Having grumpy customer is great training but so frustrated as for many customers - there are other options - people can purchase elsewhere and overseas so we do need to work harder to keep the customers we have.
No apologies necessary Dave and it had nothing to do with your operation.
I regret the whole thing. I'm sure he's a good guy but sometimes folks just get off on the wrong foot. And because it's such a mission getting there, we're unlikely ever to resolve it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:58 pm ... sometimes folks just get off on the wrong foot.
That's me. Can't get from one end of the day to the other without rubbing up against someone (too easy, JB). I think I'm just incredibly intolerant of everyone and everything. I'd say I'm working on it but I'm really not.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:05 pm
Slowy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:58 pm ... sometimes folks just get off on the wrong foot.
That's me. Can't get from one end of the day to the other without rubbing up against someone (too easy, JB). I think I'm just incredibly intolerant of everyone and everything. I'd say I'm working on it but I'm really not.
Referring to another discussion: Harlan Ellison. Described as, "The only known organism whose natural habitat is hot water."

There's a mentor for you! :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

hamo wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:47 pm Honest question Dave - what sort of training do your retail staff get? I find it really variable in the Wellington store, consistently better in Lower Hutt.
Oh - that's a big topic.

You might think that we get training on every product we sell so that we can be experts - but in reality it doesn't work that way.

Some brands provide trainers who travel about the stores and dispense training - but not all brands. And they don't train you on all the products they do. There is an impetus on staff to 'know their area' and there's no better incentive to learn something than having to tell a customer "I don't know".

Most of the time you know the basics of how something works and so you only need to know what makes it different from another product. For example I couldn't tell you which guitars have an alder body and which have ash - but I know that alder is lighter and boomier than ash. But I also know that pickups / electronics / price of guitar can have just as much influence as the wood type. I'd expect a $2000 ash guitar to sound better than a $500 alder guitar.

We also expect the 'older' staff (time served / experience oriented) to school up the 'younger' staff.

Most staff meetings (usually once a week) will have a staff member demonstrate a piece of gear in the interests of expanding everyone's knowledge.

Sometimes we do a pizza night and I have done a lighting session (rant) for when asked. Hated it. I got really nervous.

The other things is that we aren't experts anymore - the internet allows most people to be more knowledgeable about things when they walk in the door. Or knowledgeable about that specific product.

My favourite question of today - in reference to the muffs on a set of headphones - 'are they vegan'. They weren't.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

NZRS-Dave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:58 pm
My favourite question of today - in reference to the muffs on a set of headphones - 'are they vegan'. They weren't.
To be fair, it's kinda becoming a standard option on high-end headphones these days.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Answer: "No, but that guitar you're playing required the destruction of a Brazilian rain forest and the trawling of a sea bed for the nice inlays". ;-)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

hamo wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:47 pm Honest question Dave - what sort of training do your retail staff get? I find it really variable in the Wellington store, consistently better in Lower Hutt.
Oh - that's a big topic.

You might think that we get training on every product we sell so that we can be experts - but in reality it doesn't work that way.

Some brands provide trainers who travel about the stores and dispense training - but not all brands. And they don't train you on all the products they do. There is an impetus on staff to 'know their area' and there's no better incentive to learn something than having to tell a customer "I don't know".

Most of the time you know the basics of how something works and so you only need to know what makes it different from another product. For example I couldn't tell you which guitars have an alder body and which have ash - but I know that alder is lighter and boomier than ash. But I also know that pickups / electronics / price of guitar can have just as much influence as the wood type. I'd expect a $2000 ash guitar to sound better than a $500 alder guitar.

We also expect the 'older' staff (time served / experience oriented) to school up the 'younger' staff.

Most staff meetings (usually once a week) will have a staff member demonstrate a piece of gear in the interests of expanding everyone's knowledge.

Sometimes we do a pizza night and I have done a lighting session (rant) for when asked. Hated it. I got really nervous.

The other things is that we aren't experts anymore - the internet allows most people to be more knowledgeable about things when they walk in the door. Or knowledgeable about that specific product.

Thanks Dave. Not surprised to hear it mainly focuses on product, and that it's getting harder to stay on top of things. Nothing more generic like "we always greet a customer within X minutes of them walking in", like some other retail places?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

The thing that irks me with a lot of retailers is when they trot out the line: "No. We don't have it in stock but we can order it in..." I usually reply: "Yes. So can I."

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Molly wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:54 pm The thing that irks me with a lot of retailers is when they trot out the line: "No. We don't have it in stock but we can order it in..." I usually reply: "Yes. So can I."
*stabs Molly*

Of course we should have everything.

*stabs Molly again just in case*

Don't make me SEARCH customer="Molly" on you.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

hamo wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:38 pm Thanks Dave. Not surprised to hear it mainly focuses on product, and that it's getting harder to stay on top of things. Nothing more generic like "we always greet a customer within X minutes of them walking in", like some other retail places?
Oh right. Yes.

-We always have someone at the counter to greet people. And for store security.
-We try to check in on 'just browsing' customers.
-We try to get the phone in three rings.
-We try to make sure we open a few minutes before our opening time. And we generally shut late if we have to.
-We don't allow offensive material on the in house music. And we try to keep the metal to a minimum as that can be hit n miss on some people.
-We shouldn't eat / drink behind the counter / in the store - but even I do that one.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

NZRS-Dave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:59 pm
Have found that Hutt City has got better stocking stuff since Diana took over, haven't bought much more than strings from them though.

Town is a different experience, but then they do serve a different demographic. I dont think i even got spoken to when I was in the Palmy store a few weeks ago...

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Post by murky »

Back to the t-shits. Where do I get one?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

NZRS-Dave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:58 pm My favourite question of today - in reference to the muffs on a set of headphones - 'are they vegan'. They weren't.
My favourite answer to that would be - fuck off, you're barred.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Any news on the stolen gear?
:mental: