robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Missing: Gibson ES135

Post by robnobcorncob »

Aquila Rosso wrote:Nice that stolen gats find their way home sometimes. I am thinking of that Lotto advert where the dog falls overboard and comes home to see the owner now has a cat, but imagining a Gibson coming home to find its owner stroking a Strat .

I am not so fond of living in an apartment tbh, but i do really like the security it offers for my gat etc. No crooks can get in here unless they have my card key or abseiling gear.
The dog actually never came home in real life, they shot all the NZ scenes in NZ then went to India (or wherever it was) and filmed what needed to be done then left the dog there with it's new extremely wealthy owner who gave the dog it's own chef. True story bro.

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

robnobcorncob wrote:The dog actually never came home in real life, they shot all the NZ scenes in NZ then went to India (or wherever it was) and filmed what needed to be done then left the dog there with it's new extremely wealthy owner who gave the dog it's own chef. True story bro.
How would you know something like that? Im gonna spend hours wondering if youre telling the truth or not.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=925991

Let us not forget who the mongrel was!
Wellington

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

sidewinder wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:The dog actually never came home in real life, they shot all the NZ scenes in NZ then went to India (or wherever it was) and filmed what needed to be done then left the dog there with it's new extremely wealthy owner who gave the dog it's own chef. True story bro.
How would you know something like that? Im gonna spend hours wondering if youre telling the truth or not.
I met the guy who trained the dog.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

vintage52 wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=925991

Let us not forget who the mongrel was!
Blacklisted ages ago. Time to share those lists around again?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

There's a new device that's long overdue called The Tile. It's in early stages and not perfect but when we're all using it it'll mean we can secrete a 'tile' in our precious items and track them when stolen.

http://www.thetileapp.com/

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Molly wrote:There's a new device that's long overdue called The Tile. It's in early stages and not perfect but when we're all using it it'll mean we can secrete a 'tile' in our precious items and track them when stolen.

Stick one of those to the inside of the control cavity on each of your guitars and you're sorted 8)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Molly wrote:There's a new device that's long overdue called The Tile. It's in early stages and not perfect but when we're all using it it'll mean we can secrete a 'tile' in our precious items and track them when stolen.

Cool idea.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Stick one of those to the inside of the control cavity on each of your guitars and you're sorted 8)
Until the batteries run out. Oh, wait, it has no batteries. It needs to be replaced after a year!
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I know. And the range isn't great. It relies on lots of people getting into them so that the item's location can be relayed.

I did say it wasn't perfect but it's along the right lines. Won't be long before you can epoxy one into your guitar and always know where it is. Could also do the same with my car, motorbike, wife, kids, beer. Cool...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Could also do the same with my car, motorbike, wife, kids, beer. Cool...
It is a great principle and one day it will work. We used to call those units transponders and we used to sell an Asset Tracker system based on them.... We no longer sell it. If you are a law abiding citizen and have a dog, then there is one them. I think I don't need to know where my wife can be found:)
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Oh cool, another tracking device that can be used to gather and sell your personal information.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Danger Mouse wrote:Oh cool, another tracking device that can be used to gather and sell your personal information.
Not really. What is there to gather? The location of the tiles you bought? What value is that to anybody?

I love the idea of knocking on the door of the scumbag who just nicked something of mine. Would love to make their activities obsolete and this technology is a step in that direction.

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

Danger Mouse wrote:Oh cool, another tracking device that can be used to gather and sell your personal information.
Got a smartphone, and maybe a couple of apps?

Locator tiles are the least of your worries.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Don't worry guys, I work in telecoms, I'm well aware of the various means of mining your data and tracking your movements, currently available.

As for value, yes there is a monetary value in knowing where people are and where they go. It doesn't need to be specific, personal information, for instance just tracking how someone moves within a shopping mall is valuable to the mall and shop owners. All they need is an easily scanable, unique id to track your movement, they don't even need to know who you are. However if said device is registered on a database and you are associated to it, it won't be difficult for the right people to connect you and the device.

We have vendors who are selling new hardware specifically on this basis. All supposedly completely anonymous and harmless to the end user, but they are pushing the value of tracking. All good and fine if you don't have a problem giving up this information, but I just think we give away far too much personal information as it is, without even thinking about it.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.