sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Artificial Intelligence and Music

Post by sty »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:55 pm Interestingly a year on I now think AI is the new blockchain, moronic senior managers everywhere are wanting AI added to everything to fix problems that don't exist, but thats ok the massive power and computing costs will be covered by making more developers redundant...
The underlying tech of the current AI wave is really interesting, but like you say it's being massively mis-interpreted (as usual).

Back in the mid 90s I worked with some amazing Neural Net technology from a Cambridge University spin-off company (the one that was bought by HP and was stuck in legal battles with HP recently). It was truly amazing, especially for the time.

I was using it in some of the very very early E-Commerce sites in Europe, Great Universal Stores Catalogues, I trained it on their entire catalog (the old phone directory sized catalog things you're all familiar from growing up) just the short and long written descriptions of all their products. It was amazing at working out what content was important and made things unique and could suggest alternatives with incredible accuracy, this was incredibly helpful to a catlog company that ran out of stock and needed to suggest substitutions.

The tech today is built on the kind of same technology but way bigger, it can't genuinely do original thought. but man can it find the nuanced stuff you want it to.

proper Machine Learning is amazing, see above, but also it was being used in the late 90s to detect credit card and financial fraud because it could identify patterns and more importantly wrong/bad patterns.

Today it's uses are amazing, it can do face recognition incredibly well, I've seen examples in NZ of it being used to distinguish between pests/predators and endagered species and being used in traps to poison pests and alow valuable species to pass unharmed. In the world of photo editing it can make incredibly powerful tools to crop out background, to fill in voids, all very useful stuff, to unblur photos, even to colourise very old photos and sun damanged photos. It can do the same for video and in the audio world it will be able to perform miracles, imagine being able to remove tape hiss, rescue terrible mixes, improve the quality of live sound etc. These are just tools, not creative and will make a huge difference.

Likewise in medicine, the ability to process X-Rays, Mamograms, MRI scans etc. will save many lives.

What todays AI really isn't is intelligent, and it certainly isn't really capable of creative thought, yep it can probably create the illusion of creativity usually through the tiny amounts of chaos present in systems, but it's a trick, it's not human etc. By the same token a lot of humans aren't capable of creative thought/generation either, so it can likely fake it for a while.

A lot of companies and niaive managers are going to lose a lot of money and make bad choices based on the current and next gen of AI if they think they can use it as a replacement for their creative humans. Yep a few are going to get lucky and score big, but a hell of a lot more are going to quietly run up huge bills, make huge cock ups, and quietly move on to the next big thing.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by sty »

A good learning exercise for yourself, which has been mentioned before, is to use one of the current AI tools like ChatGPT etc. to do something for you in a topic that you know really well. You will find huge glaring mistakes in it I'm sure. So how could you possibly trust what it tells you about a topic you know little or less?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 8057 times
Been liked: 4299 times

Post by jeremyb »

AI tools to take out the drudgery of creative work will be the big winner I hope!

If they do use AI to make music its only going to be pop music anyway, and thats pretty much garbage these days so no one will know the difference or care, its interesting how streaming has changed modern pop music though, it all goes bang straight into the chorus, cause if you don't hook the listener in the first 5 or so seconds they will skip to the next track in the playlist...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 267 times

Post by Capt. Black »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:49 am
hamo wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:21 pm The more useful applications will be the ones that are trained on more constrained, better curated sets of source material, then pointed at specific use cases. The more general AI just has too many opportunities to go rogue.
Imagine how confused it would be if all you gave it was ACDC albums :rofl:
Every song will be titled “Who Made Who” :lol:

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 380 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

You can't have synthetic rock stars.

Art is as much about the artist as it is about the the art. Artificial is not the real thing.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 8057 times
Been liked: 4299 times

Post by jeremyb »

Was watching something the other day and the dude said “Your ears are analog so digital amps will never sound right!”, interesting take.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 266 times

Post by H671 »

crowbgood1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:40 pm You can't have synthetic rock stars.

Art is as much about the artist as it is about the the art. Artificial is not the real thing.
Tell that to ABBA.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 829 times

Post by hamo »

H671 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:34 pm

Tell that to ABBAi.
Fixed
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1039 times
Been liked: 2535 times

Post by Slowy »

Cdog wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:01 am IMG-20240610-WA0000.jpg
Exactly!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Um.......
Milli Vanilli?
Spice Girls?
Bay City Rollers?
And what about that Japanese Anime singer who fills stadiums?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 380 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Slowy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm
Um.......
Milli Vanilli?
Spice Girls?
Bay City Rollers?
And what about that Japanese Anime singer who fills stadiums?
About them - real people with real fans. Yup, Anime is real art created by real artists.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2284 times
Been liked: 4040 times

Post by Bg »

and you missed Gorillaz, and I'd fight for them not being synthetic other than the videos :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:44 pm Was watching something the other day and the dude said “Your ears are analog so digital amps will never sound right!”, interesting take.
That's silly. The issue is sampling rate/ quantity of information. I'd challenge anyone to correctly determine a blind digital vs analogue test with the best available gear. What hasn't happened in my (limited) experience is digital amps feeling analogue to play. It's only a matter of time though.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 872 times
Been liked: 277 times

Post by calling card »

I went looking for this, slightly disappointed, get practicing AI.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUzF73THc9I&t=242s[/youtube]
Last edited by calling card on Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

NZTone.e
Gibson
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by NZTone.e »

There’s no stopping it, AI music will just create a few new genres and they’ll have to make up some new laws defining who and what wrote what cause peeps won’t stand for being out done by AIs, especially when it comes to awards and what not.

There’ll be AI produced music, sub genres therein, probably a nice big grey area of AI assisted music, then human produced music will become a boutique little sub genre that only the cool cats listen too…