Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Recording Bass

Post by jeremyb »

crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:03 pm I've been following this thread, as I have been recording plenty of bass lately so will put on my 2c worth.
Pre-amps I have tried - Sansamp Geddy Lee, Dark Glass Alpha Omega Ultra and my favourite Buzz Audio's take on API.

Various valve and ribbon mics on a Jansen 50 Bassman and Ashdown 2x12 (Made in England)

DI into desk and amp simulation software - standard issue from Cubase.

To my old wooden ears the software amp sim wins, mic on real amp is a close second and pre - amps last. I find it hard to get the pres to sit in the mix.
Were you using any kind of power amp and speaker cabinet stimulator with the preamp pedals?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:09 pm
crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:03 pm I've been following this thread, as I have been recording plenty of bass lately so will put on my 2c worth.
Pre-amps I have tried - Sansamp Geddy Lee, Dark Glass Alpha Omega Ultra and my favourite Buzz Audio's take on API.

Various valve and ribbon mics on a Jansen 50 Bassman and Ashdown 2x12 (Made in England)

To my old wooden ears the software amp sim wins, mic on real amp is a close second and pre - amps last. I find it hard to get the pres to sit in the mix.
Were you using any kind of power amp and speaker cabinet stimulator with the preamp pedals?
Only the Darglass has the cab Sim and was better for it.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:12 pm

I've not tried it in a mix yet but I was getting some nice sounding tones with the Darkglass B7K clone I have into the Torpedo wall of sound plugin with the power amp enabled and an ampeg 8x10 cab :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:18 pm
crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:12 pm

I've not tried it in a mix yet but I was getting some nice sounding tones with the Darkglass B7K clone I have into the Torpedo wall of sound plugin with the power amp enabled and an ampeg 8x10 cab :thumbup:
Pre-amps sound magnificent alright. Maybe the software is made with the mix in mind. Also, miced amp stuff was recorded along with drums and the bleed seems the naturally help glue it all together, even though it creates some problems if there's too much

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:03 pm ... and my favourite Buzz Audio's take on API.
Is that a custom job? I've only ever seen or used their original designs (Elixir 500 series, MA2, and QSP).

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

bender wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:02 am
crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:03 pm ... and my favourite Buzz Audio's take on API.
Is that a custom job? I've only ever seen or used their original designs (Elixir 500 series, MA2, and QSP).
It's a QSP, not sure how it compares to API but SOS said it uses the same transformers.

Sounds bloody magnificent either way.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

crowbgood1 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:28 pm
It's a QSP, not sure how it compares to API but SOS said it uses the same transformers.

Ah right- those are excellent mic pres. Definitely unlike API, but just a different flavour of awesome.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

bender wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:52 pm
crowbgood1 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:28 pm

Ah right- those are excellent mic pres. Definitely unlike API, but just a different flavour of awesome.
I stand corrected. I am now curious to try API. (where's it end). 🤠

I was looking at Sansamp pre-q.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:38 pm (Unrelated to OP: great use of an envelope filter on the guitar chords and riff. Please let me know if anyone is selling)
Was just reminded of this post and had a play with my DemonFX Pearl White Auto-Wah and dialled in a pretty decent sounding version of this with my strat, might be an option for you? Was about $80 landed from AliExpress, clone of the Mad Professor Snow White auto-wah.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:08 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:38 pm (Unrelated to OP: great use of an envelope filter on the guitar chords and riff. Please let me know if anyone is selling)
Was just reminded of this post and had a play with my DemonFX Pearl White Auto-Wah and dialled in a pretty decent sounding version of this with my strat, might be an option for you? Was about $80 landed from AliExpress, clone of the Mad Professor Snow White auto-wah.
Will have a look! Cheers.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.