Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Whats in your studio?

Post by jeremyb »

Interested to see peoples music recording setups and to hear the story behind it all.

I will post a pic of mine and a description once I clean my desk :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Re: Whats in your studio?

Post by foal30 »

Desk?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Here is a video, a year old but very little has changed :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Might as well close this thread now :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Been curious about what others use.

I'm wanting to set up everything so I can use it and record or rehearse whenever inspiration strikes with as few menus as possible. Keen to hear any suggestions people may have.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

You wanna show off your Boss Katanas @jeremyb ?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:54 pm You wanna show off your Boss Katanas @jeremyb ?
Dunno if he will, Katana tolex is pretty hard to wipe down.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

“ And semen is such a persistent stain”
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Zaulkin wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:35 pm Been curious about what others use.

I'm wanting to set up everything so I can use it and record or rehearse whenever inspiration strikes with as few menus as possible. Keen to hear any suggestions people may have.
Menus?

Turn on laptop > double click audacity > press R

There's quite a lot of plugging in cables, but no real menus to start recording.

For quickly recording ideas at home... Digitech Trio+ = no menus but some footswitch combos to memorise

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

JHorner wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 pm

4 peavey logos gets 4 thumbs up from me (1x4).
Bit dark now but ill post a pic tomorrw seeing as i actually tidied up this week

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

I can't wait to show my wife this topic. She'll realise that there my spending habits on gear aren't that bad! Very impressive from blackstratblues and JHorner.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

This is fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

JHorner wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 pm
Zaulkin wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:35 pm Been curious about what others use.

Menus?

Turn on laptop > double click audacity > press R

There's quite a lot of plugging in cables, but no real menus to start recording.

For quickly recording ideas at home... Digitech Trio+ = no menus but some footswitch combos to memorise
Yeah, I pretty much have a template in Reaper that has patches set up ready to go as well as EZdrummer etc. I probably just need to be less lazy. :D

I do find I practice a lot more with a physical amp that has knobs to turn. Seems to be much more immediate to my brain.

Adirondack
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Adirondack »

This is still a work in progress but the console is starting to get there. It has most functionality operational and I am pretty happy all things considered. There is quite a bit of fine tuning to do, for example, it is amazing how many of the pan pots I managed to wire up back to front.

The audio circuitry is all discrete (everything except for the meter buffers and power supply) and based on 70s technology using Helios-type amplifier circuits (2128 & 22113 circuits). It has 6 full mic pre-eqs (similar to Olympic Studios or Rolling Stones Mobile studio modules), there will be added 4 simplified mic pre-eqs (still need to make these you can see the blank panels) with no inductors just a bass roll-off and the classic Helios 10k boost-cut, there are two line level channels, and 2 x stereo returns (or line level channels) for 16 channels all told. Similar discrete Helios-type circuits were also used in the master section (which includes 4 x Aux output amps as well as the main output amps and monitor amps) and in the routers.

As a point of difference, I used a couple of transformers off the master bus (for about 10dB of gain) a method which Helios consoles did not use but which Neve consoles did. Some of the mic-pre outputs are also transformer balanced (unlike Helios consoles). There are 2 stereo auxiliary buses as well as the master bus. The frame is made out of Pterocarpus indicus.

Definitely not as pretty as it could be (the front panels need lettering and numbering and some front panels display "prototype" scars) and the console is a bit big and cumbersome (it really is a glorified prototype). It was all hand drilled, punched, cut and soldered except for the meter panels and fader panel and obviously I didn't make the patchbays. The meters are buffered by JLM Audio buffer circuits and there are also some JLM circuits in the power supply (console uses: 12V, 24V, 36V and 48V). Some of the amp PCBs I had fabricated by a third party from gerber files I prepared, others circuit boards were just made by hand (not printed but a board drilled with components wired through hole more or less point to point).

There are plenty of things I would do differently, if I had my time again, but that is moot as I will never, ever, try and build another console.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Thats killer dude, love it!!