olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Whats in your studio?

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Yes, jewel lit up. I never used the FX loop though.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

No worries, bulb loose in transit, I’ll probably never use the loop either it’s just a crackly switch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Cdog wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:39 pm
crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:11 pm This is fun.
What you got there? Not sure of it's a tape deck or an old sampler under the mixer :think:
Digital Tape Recording System - 8 track. It belonged to TV3 for many years. Sounds great.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

IMG_5326.JPG
A great place to dCompress.
Spot the vintage Leslie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Here’s mine starting to take shape. I’ve got the mixer on semi-permanent loan from work, so I built the desk to house it. Mostly mixing TV shows on it, but hoping to get back into a bit more composing and recording soon. I’ve since upgraded the interface to an Antelope Audio Discrete 8, and added a Positive Grid Bias Mini to the rack. I used to have a collection of rad hardware mic preamps, but had to downsize, so am strictly using emulations now.
347BBF97-1167-4001-A64B-7281AAADDCBE.jpeg

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Adirondack wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:02 am This is still a work in progress but the console is starting to get there. It has most functionality operational and I am pretty happy all things considered. There is quite a bit of fine tuning to do, for example, it is amazing how many of the pan pots I managed to wire up back to front.

The audio circuitry is all discrete (everything except for the meter buffers and power supply) and based on 70s technology using Helios-type amplifier circuits (2128 & 22113 circuits). It has 6 full mic pre-eqs (similar to Olympic Studios or Rolling Stones Mobile studio modules), there will be added 4 simplified mic pre-eqs (still need to make these you can see the blank panels) with no inductors just a bass roll-off and the classic Helios 10k boost-cut, there are two line level channels, and 2 x stereo returns (or line level channels) for 16 channels all told. Similar discrete Helios-type circuits were also used in the master section (which includes 4 x Aux output amps as well as the main output amps and monitor amps) and in the routers.

As a point of difference, I used a couple of transformers off the master bus (for about 10dB of gain) a method which Helios consoles did not use but which Neve consoles did. Some of the mic-pre outputs are also transformer balanced (unlike Helios consoles). There are 2 stereo auxiliary buses as well as the master bus. The frame is made out of Pterocarpus indicus.

Definitely not as pretty as it could be (the front panels need lettering and numbering and some front panels display "prototype" scars) and the console is a bit big and cumbersome (it really is a glorified prototype). It was all hand drilled, punched, cut and soldered except for the meter panels and fader panel and obviously I didn't make the patchbays. The meters are buffered by JLM Audio buffer circuits and there are also some JLM circuits in the power supply (console uses: 12V, 24V, 36V and 48V). Some of the amp PCBs I had fabricated by a third party from gerber files I prepared, others circuit boards were just made by hand (not printed but a board drilled with components wired through hole more or less point to point).

There are plenty of things I would do differently, if I had my time again, but that is moot as I will never, ever, try and build another console.
Fuck yeah! Great work!

And you’re running a Chandler mixer as well? I really love their gear.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Lots of impressive setups here.

what this thread tells me though is that I need a couple of headphone stands, since my expensive headphones are just scattered on the desk

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

sty wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:01 am Lots of impressive setups here.

what this thread tells me though is that I need a couple of headphone stands, since my expensive headphones are just scattered on the desk
Buy a 3d printer and then you can make all the stands you want!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:18 am
sty wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:01 am Lots of impressive setups here.

Buy a 3d printer and then you can make all the stands you want!
haha,

I only have two pairs, sounds like an expensive option, but fun though

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Added some extra shelves for the monitors to sit on so I could move my interface to fit a larger keyboard on the shelf, pretty happy with how it turned out!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

JB, its time you came out of the closet....

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Here's where I hang out most days!

Not in shot: a few more guitars in the closet, piano by the window, and a big shelf full of pedals and Transformers :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

In gaming mode!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

A fine choice of game too, much prefer 4 over 5.

Going to have to hit hot wheels shortly though

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

My tannoys finally gave up after many years playing bass through them, and other loud music obviously.

They have officially retired, in with the new thanks to Oleg….

They are huge but awesome :D Handle my raucous bass without rasp which is what I needed :)