IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 480 times
Been liked: 222 times

Panning when one of two guitarists is wet/dry

Post by IMOCD »

Just wondering how you folk prefer to pan when one guitarist is wet/dry. I tried a stereo for a bit, but I found it was a bit too overpowering in a band setting and often muddy. Today, I set my board as wet/dry and much prefer it over stereo tbh. The clarity even when running fairly heavy delay and verb is much preferred. :thumbup:

Anyhoos, we are recording from the mixing desk this week and I was wondering how would I'd go about panning. I was thinking maybe 12 o'clock for the wet signal and then running my dry hard(ish) left and the other guitarist hard(ish) right. Aim is to get a full sound (no bass player) but ultimately put some space between the two (often overdriven guitars)..
Any thoughts or suggestions?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Panning when one of two guitarists is wet/dry

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Here’s what I’d do, though I’m not a sound pro

The most effective way to separate instruments is to have them carve out different parts of the tone spectrum. So cut and boost the eq for both guitars in different ranges.

After that, and this is because you are recording from the desk, to keep the guitars separate and unmushy, I’d pan them hard Left and hard right. Including the wet signal.

But, if your guitar is meant to be ‘washy’ with lots of stereo delay/verb, then I’d use stereo, again, panned hard L & R.