Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 91 times

solo home writing and recording

Post by Kloppsta »

hey team,

just wondering how many others out there do at least (semi) regular home writing and recording? I'm talking like production and writing, recording & mixing a song from start to finish in your home studio?

the thought came to me recently as I've been working on a new song that i really have a love hate relationship with the process. being the only person accountable and responsible for the WHOLE process is a bit daunting, but at the same time also freeing as you have no one but yourself to please and answer to.

as i do more of it i have stumbeled on what i think is my default "process". i tend to come up with the initial idea almost always on guitar. usually the old yamaha sitting next to my bed. if the idea resonates with me ill slowly (usually over the course of a few weeks) develop it and try to start to form a normal song structure. verse, chorus, bridge etc. if at the end of this "tinkering" process i still like playing and listening to the idea ill then come into the home studio and start to expand production. i tend to record a scratch track of the idea on acoustic, work out the bpm etc then try and find a drum loop or sequence that fits each section of the song.

from that point on i almost always go down a massive rabbit hole of production, recording, mixing.

i am a total sucker for songs with "ear candy". i love hearing little bits and elements in the mix that pop out with decent headphones or after each listen. so i am super guilty of WAY over producing my own songs with all that stuff. probably to the determent of the song and the mix quality, but bugger it, its a fun process coming up with different overdubs.

the hate part is that once a song has bitten and the process has started i cannot for the life me of stop or concentrate on anything else. im not kidding i fucking lose sleep over it until its done! case in point the current song im working on, i just cant get my head to turn off.

my biggest shortcoming is that despite my average musicality and playing skill, i also know FAR more theoretically about mixing than i do practically. I know what i SHOULD be doing to get a great mix but i dont have that practical skill to transfer the theory into reality. probably not helped by the fact these song outbursts come in fits and starts every 6 months or so with ZERO practice in between. also not helped by the overwhelming amount of videos online that all seem to offer different advice.

anyway, just felt like venting! haha would love to hear from any others who have a similar or opposing view/experience! :)
Last edited by Kloppsta on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: solo home writing and recording

Post by Jay »

Guitar building does that to me... I must have it finished before I start something else. Don't loose sleep over it though.

Re recording, I wrote the lyrics for a couple of songs in 2011. One is fully completed with chords, solo written out note for note, rhythm, etc. I would like to record it fully before its 10th anniversary... but now the kingfish (ing) season has started. And I need to split firewood, etc. Oh well
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kloppsta wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:57 am hey team,

just wondering how many others out there do at least (semi) regular home writing and recording? I'm talking like production and writing, recording & mixing a song from start to finish in your home studio?

the thought came to me recently as I've been working on a new song that i really have a love hate relationship with the process. being the only person accountable and responsible for the WHOLE process is a bit daunting, but at the same time also freeing as you have no one but yourself to please and answer to.

as i do more of it i have stumbeled on what i think is my default "process". i tend to come up with the initial idea almost always on guitar. usually the old yamaha sitting next to my bed. if the idea resonates with me ill slowly (usually over the course of a few weeks) develop it and try to start to form a normal song structure. verse, chorus, bridge etc. if at the end of this "tinkering" process i still like playing and listening to the idea ill then come into the home studio and start to expand production. i tend to record a scratch track of the idea on acoustic, work out the bpm etc then try and find a drum loop or sequence that fits each section of the song.

from that point on i almost always go down a massive rabbit hole of production, recording, mixing.

i am a total sucker for songs with "ear candy". i love hearing little bits and elements in the mix that pop out with decent headphones or after each listen. so i am super guilty of WAY over producing my own songs with all that stuff. probably to the determent of the song and the mix quality, but bugger it, its a fun process coming up with different overdubs.

the hate part is that once a song has bitten and the process has started i cannot for the life me of stop or concentrate on anything else. im not kidding i fucking lose sleep over it until its done! case in point the current song im working on, i just cant get my head to turn off.

my biggest shortcoming is that despite my average musicality and playing skill, i also know FAR more theoretically about mixing than i do practically. I know what i SHOULD be doing to get a great mix but i dont have that practical skill to transfer the theory into reality. probably not helped by the fact these song outbursts come in fits and starts every 6 months or so with ZERO practice in between. also not helped by the overwhelming amount of videos online that all seem to offer different advice.

anyway, just felt like venting! haha would love to hear from any others who have a similar or opposing view/experience! :)
Wow, deja vu. I have spent the last 3 hours mixing and I'm feeling EXACTLY the same as this. It gets to the point that I can't see/hear the wood from the trees. I also really need to get better at the actual recording process, because I often end up with a lot of room low/mids that I have to try to correct after the fact, and by then it is too late :?

I tend to put too much in the mix also. I can hear the parts it in my head, but don't yet have the skill to make it work in the mix. I'm getting better, but damn, it is slow...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yep my mixing was shit which pretty much down to being half deaf.

I also think we should do a collaborative song thing
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

When you say regularly.....

I do but no way near as much as I should. I want to produce more songs but with the stress of the shop I don't have much energy for it. Need to do more.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

man, reading your replies im actually super glad its not just me! haha ive always felt like i dont deserve to call myself a "proper" musician because of my fits and starts and un-prolific output! lol

oleg, would love to hear your stuff mate! cmon throw the mix up :)

Beeg, im always keen to collaborate mate. Got any tunes/ideas you wanna kick off with?

Sooty, i hear you bro. i always feel bad for not doing more. i always feel "excorsied" (lol) after getting a song out of my head and into the world. even if its only my friends & family (and you good folk :)) who might get to hear it!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kloppsta wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:04 pm man, reading your replies im actually super glad its not just me! haha ive always felt like i dont deserve to call myself a "proper" musician because of my fits and starts and un-prolific output! lol

oleg, would love to hear your stuff mate! cmon throw the mix up :)

Beeg, im always keen to collaborate mate. Got any tunes/ideas you wanna kick off with?

Sooty, i hear you bro. i always feel bad for not doing more. i always feel "excorsied" (lol) after getting a song out of my head and into the world. even if its only my friends & family (and you good folk :)) who might get to hear it!
I too am relieved I'm not alone!

I will post some music, once I'm a little happier with my engineering skills. Am making (slow) progress...

nztim
Squier
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nztim »

Kloppsta wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:57 am also not helped by the overwhelming amount of videos online that all seem to offer different advice.
This... When I'm trying to figure something out I watch a video, then do a google. 4/5 times one tells you not to do what the other recommended. Its a mine field and everyone does it different.

I built a bit of a studio at home as I found more and more I was enjoying that part of the process.

I mixed this song from my little room. https://open.spotify.com/track/3cLQ7j6w ... U0dildHshw
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make."

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

nztim wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 pm
I mixed this song from my little room. https://open.spotify.com/track/3cLQ7j6w ... U0dildHshw
Cool man! How did you get it on Spotify?

nztim
Squier

Post by nztim »

Cheers sooty, We went through drm.co.nz and they sorted it out onto all the platforms.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

nztim wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 pm I mixed this song from my little room. https://open.spotify.com/track/3cLQ7j6w ... U0dildHshw
cool track Tim! (Charmed) the drums sound pretty big and full. real or programmed?
what does your vocal chain look like? they seem to be sitting nice and present in the mix.

i grew up until the age of 15 in South Africa (im 38 now). In those early years i used to listen to some local SA bands called "Squeal", "Springbok Nude Girls", "Amersham", "Just Jinger" to name a few. your tunes give me a similar vibe FWIW :) :thumbup:

nztim
Squier

Post by nztim »

Kloppsta wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:09 pm Charmed) the drums sound pretty big and full. real or programmed?
what does your vocal chain look like? they seem to be sitting nice and present in the mix.
The Vocal chain on Charmed and Crowded Room were,

Rode Nt1A -> Sound Sculptor MP566 -> FMR Audio RNC1773 -> Soundcraft 1600 -> then once in Logic I added a bit of reverb.

The drums are real, although I midi triggered the snare and kick and used that to double them.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

Kloppsta wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:09 pm
nztim wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 pm I mixed this song from my little room. https://open.spotify.com/track/3cLQ7j6w ... U0dildHshw
cool track Tim! (Charmed) the drums sound pretty big and full. real or programmed?

i grew up until the age of 15 in South Africa (im 38 now). In those early years i used to listen to some local SA bands called "Squeal", "Springbok Nude Girls", "Amersham", "Just Jinger" to name a few. your tunes give me a similar vibe FWIW :) :thumbup:
I'm guessing "No Friends of Harry" and "Pyscho Reptiles" were before your time then? I can't remember any others - memory doesn't go that far back now.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

I really enjoyed Charmed and Crowded Room! :thumbup:

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

vyfster wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:09 pm I'm guessing "No Friends of Harry" and "Pyscho Reptiles" were before your time then? I can't remember any others - memory doesn't go that far back now.
unfortunately they dont ring any bells, but i now have something new to try check out :)