I built an Android App to create backing tracks, anybody up to give it a try ?

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: I built an Android App to create backing tracks, anybody up to give it a try ?

Post by Michael »

Congrats on the launch, dude.

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 2 times

Re: I built an Android App to create backing tracks, anybody up to give it a try ?

Post by Tortoose »

Indeed, I wanted to start it right away but with Google you never know when things will get approved, when it's available and you can only start a "sale" in the future. To be honest I'm not even 100% sure of the time it will start, if it's 00:01 in NZ or GMT...

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tortoose »

And...the promo is live!

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

It works! :)

I couldn't get it to load .wav files, but .MP3 worked fine.

I've been wanting something like this so thank you. :)

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Excellent app man!
Loaded a couple of Neil Young tracks up and had a play and it works really well.
Well done!

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tortoose »

Thank you! If you like the app please take a few seconds to add an evaluation and/or comment on the play store. Such evaluations will make a huge difference has this is how Google decide the order when people are searching an app. If many could discover it in the next few days it would be awesome!

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Yep, gave it a high praising. Is it free worldwide at the moment?

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tortoose »

Only New Zealand and France. I really need to check how the system "hold the load" without pushing things too much or users would have to wait for a long time before getting their song.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I've downloaded, will see if I have some time to evaluate it in the next few days :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tortoose »

Zaulkin wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:58 pm ...
I couldn't get it to load .wav files, but .MP3 worked fine.
Thanks for this test. In theory file formats other than MP3 can work, yet I did not test that yet and most likely something fails for a stupid reason, Furthermore Wav files are posing another kind of constraints as they are way bigger, I'll look into that.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Ok, I tried it with a 9 minute long mp3 - it took ages to prepare the song but the results were good :thumbup:
I use backing tracks as a solo musician at Church and I need to change the key of the song to suit whoever might be my vocalist.

There are three issues for me.
1. not being able to change key.
2. not being able to rename the songfile.
3. not being able to export the song file with the vocals removed.

I could work around the first two points by using another app if it was possible to export the file.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

i've done some further testing.
There is a volume drop & muffled effect with the vocals removed (which is to be expected) but this app does remove vocals better than what I could ever achieve with my normal program - Audacity, however the quality means that the tracks are only good enough for practise and are not suitable for use as live backing tracks.
I will be interested in seeing how this app evolves in the future - good effort though.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tortoose »

H671 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:50 pm
There are three issues for me.
1. not being able to change key.
2. not being able to rename the songfile.
3. not being able to export the song file with the vocals removed.
Thanks for your feedback. Here are a few
1. If I understand correctly, you should be able to do that using the top right buttons, see the screenshot.

Tell me if that fits your needs please.

2. Agreed, right now if you have MP3 files without tags you are stuck with "Unknown - Unknown". I'd like to fix that soon in the meantime the workaround is to set author/title tags on the original MP3 file.

3. That's on the roadmap!

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tortoose »

H671 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am i've done some further testing.
There is a volume drop & muffled effect with the vocals removed (which is to be expected) but this app does remove vocals better than what I could ever achieve with my normal program - Audacity, however the quality means that the tracks are only good enough for practise and are not suitable for use as live backing tracks.
I will be interested in seeing how this app evolves in the future - good effort though.
I'm putting the final touch on an update right now to take in account some of the feedback I had here, and once this is done I'll experiment to see if I can improve on the volume drops. It is not noticeable on every song but for some music styles it really is!
I guess (but I'll have to try) that I could normalize the volume of some tracks individually, the "Guitar" and "Bass" ones especially and that would prevent such drops (or make them less noticeable). Obviously I don't want to mess up other songs neither I'll have to check on a pretty wide set of songs... If you can share titles where you noticed it strongly that could help, but I'm pretty sure I'll find some in rock music when the vocals are appearing in "burst".

Tortoose
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tortoose »

Hi Folks! Thanks for your feedback, a weekly update is being deployed right now:

- [NEW FEATURE] add the ability to edit artist and song title
- display "Loading.." while the music catalog is loading.
- UI responsiveness improvements
- add a welcoming animation to highlight the buttons and their purpose.
- embed a "Rate App" dialog.
- Fix catalog which would not filter songs correctly from time to time
- Introduce new tutorial animation to discover the tracks buttons
- enable crash monitoring

The discount ends this sunday (most likely at the end of the day in UTC timezone) and after that will be 1.69$, if you know anybody which might be interested now is a good time to send him/her the link to install it while it's free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... okemymusic