Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Post by willow13 »

Volume is the key. You have to make the microphones diaphragm work just like how you need to get a speakers cone moving to get the ultimate sound out of it.......not that I ever get good guitar tones when I mic up but for what it is worth I have found you need to put the mic at the point the you hear your speaker. If you have the centre of the cone pointing directly at your ears then yes put it right in front but you need to give it some distance because i'm sure you don't sit an inch away from it

Normally I would sit/stand where I think the tone sounds best and put a room mic there and then one closer to blend in. But with one mic put it where your head is and then start moving it closer to the speaker along an imaginary line from your head to the centre of the speaker , taking recorded samples until you find the right spot for levels v tone .... this does require more volume than close micing.

another option is to enclose the mic "dead" box (even things like pillows will work) so the sound waves build up around the mic ... can get very bottom end heavy if you aren't careful. If what ever the mic is enclosed in has "shiny" surfaces in will create slight reverb
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

I use condenser mics for home recording of guitars because of the low volume I have to record at

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Thanks guys. Some great info here! I look forward to the next recorded jam when I can play louder as I suspect the comments re: volume are spot on
Also, interesting that condensors are preferred for lower level recording. Back to TM, I go........

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

IMOCD wrote: Also, interesting that condensors are preferred for lower level recording. Back to TM, I go........
Not sure if they are preferred but it’s what I do hehe ... also before buying one make sure your interface has phantom power

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

willow13 wrote:
IMOCD wrote: Also, interesting that condensors are preferred for lower level recording. Back to TM, I go........
Not sure if they are preferred but it’s what I do hehe ... also before buying one make sure your interface has phantom power
Yep, will do. I found this thread by Lawrence which mentions differing 'ideal peaks' between analogue and digital. Interesting read that also tells me my lower level peaks should be fine given my multitracker is digital.
https://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 36#p814736