Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

over in the trade me thread you mentioned wanting to know more on mics and someone pointed at the Beato clip.

There are two separate issues and I don't know which it is so Ill touch on both.

Overloading Mics.
Mics are designed to pickup very small changes in air pressure. A test we used to show students was a candle flame - if the singer (or kik drum or whatever) produced enough air movement to visible affect the candle flame then that position was too close for a mic.
Now of course this is a massive generalisation...and was actually done to show how plosives and fricatives (the sounds in the human voice that generate big air movements such as the letter P) should be handled. I have trained singers to improve mic technique by having them sing to a candle and learn to turn away slightly every time there is a plosive or fricative in the lyric.
Most mics can handle VERY loud sounds but as a rule...if you wouldn't put your ear there then don't put the mic there.

If you are interested I could do some posts on how mics actually work internally and what makes them directional or not etc.

Overloading the input.

This is the more likely scenario. because most mics can handle very loud sounds it is possible that you are presenting a lot of gain to your input. In the Beato vid he somewhat oversimplifies the concept so here's a little more detail.

Most mic inputs are generally designed with amplifying vocals in mind (yes another generalisation..go with me here) so if you have both a sensitive (think loud) mic and a loud source - say a loud singer up close or a guitar cab - then the signal is at the upper end of what the input is expecting.
I am assuming at this point that you know how to set input levels in the analog world using a solo or PFL and a meter. This is not always available with a DAW set up. While you should peak at roughly zero in the analog world this translates to -18 in the digital world. If you are working at 24 bit then average signals in the lower third of the meter are fine.
If you cannot turn the input down enough you simply have to move the mic further from the source or look at some sort of attenuator that could be plugged in to reduce the input.

If you want more info and have specific question let me know...
Slowy wrote:So: I settled in here for a long read and it was over in seconds!

(My current read is a 2500 page trilogy)

:thumbup: yeah - just a bit paranoid in this twitter driven world!