Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Audio Interface help - SORTED

Post by Mattallica »

I want to record two inputs (Guitar DI & Torpedo Live line out) but only direct monitor the line out, not the DI.

I see that a bunch of interfaces have stereo/mono options for their headphone outs but what that translates to in terms of the inputs and outputs monitered is unclear.

For example, my Duo Capture EX has a stereo/mono option for the headphone out, but what that really means is that i can either hear both inputs in both ears (mono aural) or one input per ear (normal stereo). I cannot switch between the two.

Can you guys give me some model recommendations that will have this feature? or if what i'm describing has a name for it so i can look it up?
Last edited by Mattallica on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Audio Interface help

Post by JHorner »

The focusrite 18i20 has powerful complex input/output/monitoring routing software.

So complex that I couldn't figure it out, never use the routing feature and can't tell you if it does what you want.

But I think it might.

Routing!

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

I'm pretty sure i want this option to be on board the interface itself and not software controlled to avoid introducing latency?

I'm only using headphones at this time, so i'm not fussed about what's going on with the outputs, or whether the headphones and outputs use the same monitor control. I just want to listen to one input and not the other! should be as simple as having a monitor level for each input

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I think the software is for configuring the device, not doing the routing.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... te-Control

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

JHorner wrote:I think the software is for configuring the device, not doing the routing.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... te-Control
Ahaaaaaa, you think right! sweet that's what i'm after. Looks like the lowest model that supports that is the 6i6. Which has two separate headphone controls anyway. Neat

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I have a 6i6 which is not being used since Helix. Open to offers - virtually new.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Bg wrote:I have a 6i6 which is not being used since Helix. Open to offers - virtually new.
Mmm timely. So 2nd gen then?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Indeed it is, the red one... only about 6 months old
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Prob not helpful but my apollo twin does that easy through its control panel. I'd take a pic of it if my only internet wasn't via this plastic pimple.Also pretty expensive next to the focusrite gear but I've never had a piece from them that's lasted with me YMMV. Their control panel setup always confused the hell out of me .

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Kris wrote:Prob not helpful but my apollo twin does that easy through its control panel. I'd take a pic of it if my only internet wasn't via this plastic pimple.Also pretty expensive next to the focusrite gear but I've never had a piece from them that's lasted with me YMMV. Their control panel setup always confused the hell out of me .
I'm hesitate to buy any interface 2nd hand because of the seamingly higher rates of failure they have compared to other gear, and the lack of warranty. If i get serious about recording i'll to getting the more expensive stuff.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

That's a fair point.Although I gotta say the only time I've ever had any trouble was with a focusrite.And I've owned several phonic units so that gotta say something.I wasn't offering mine btw.more just extolling it's virtues.I was looking to clear the last of my gear but have started writing again so getting a little more use out of it :)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Bg wrote:Indeed it is, the red one... only about 6 months old
Bro where was this 3 days ago... Zomg. Almost sprung for one of these new... howevz I am Behringing it now. Timing is the secret of great comedy :lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yeah I know, I hadn't decided to sell it or not ;)