Jays' BBs

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Post Reply
User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7938
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1681 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Jays' BBs

Post by Jay »

A thread for me - so that I remember what I have done and what I need to be doing next


Beautiful blue sky day. Nothing better than to work outside and let the wind suck the dust away.

"Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Strange days indeed"


A few years ago the Mrs' beautiful Mahogany drawer cabinet was taken apart for its wood. Here one of the drawer front panels is being prepared so it can become the backside of a guitar.

The holes are from the drawer handles and they shall be filled with a mahogany dowel.

Mahogany drawer panels 1 20240704_134021.jpg
Mahogany drawer panels 1 20240704_134021.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 905 times
Mahogany drawer panels 2 20240704_134040.jpg
Mahogany drawer panels 2 20240704_134040.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 905 times
Mahogany drawer panels 3 20240704_135150.jpg
Mahogany drawer panels 3 20240704_135150.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 905 times
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7938
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1681 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by Jay »

And here three panels done. Just need to 'thickness' them now to its final thickness


Mahogany drawer panels 4 20240704_141711.jpg
Mahogany drawer panels 4 20240704_141711.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 902 times
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Hamilton
Has liked: 782 times
Been liked: 261 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by Miza »

Nice simple router jig. Must make one of those.
Nothing to see here.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 42360
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 8057 times
Been liked: 4299 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by jeremyb »

I think I have the exact same router, has served me well for a couple of decades at least!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7938
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1681 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by Jay »

Miza wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:27 am Nice simple router jig. Must make one of those.
If you do make one, use stronger aluminum U brackets than the ones I chose. My span is limited as anything wider and the router weight will make the jig sag in the middle. Doesn't make for even thicknessing. Other than that, leveling and thicknessing is a breeze
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7938
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1681 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:50 am I think I have the exact same router, has served me well for a couple of decades at least!
Everyone on the forum has this router :D
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 6850
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 3553 times
Been liked: 1099 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by codedog »

Jay wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:17 am
Miza wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:27 am Nice simple router jig. Must make one of those.
If you do make one, use stronger aluminum U brackets than the ones I chose. My span is limited as anything wider and the router weight will make the jig sag in the middle. Doesn't make for even thicknessing. Other than that, leveling and thicknessing is a breeze
Interesting. I was actually going to use a 90deg angle bracket, not a U. Didn't think about it flexing. My span is even wider than that!

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7938
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1681 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by Jay »

Another stunning day today for working outside. Below some 5000 words.


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8981
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 1134 times
Been liked: 1462 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by robthemac »

Semi-hollow Tele time?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7938
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1681 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by Jay »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:00 pm Semi-hollow Tele time?
I am dreaming about another Duovette (big red in your terminology), one flat and one with an arched top. One semi-hollow Tele and one solid with a pancake body. It's going to take me forever to accomplish that :lol:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3961
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Welly
Has liked: 542 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by WellyBlues »

Jay wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:07 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:00 pm Semi-hollow Tele time?
I am dreaming about another Duovette (big red in your terminology), one flat and one with an arched top. One semi-hollow Tele and one solid with a pancake body. It's going to take me forever to accomplish that :lol:
Sounds like forever will be a good time.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 42360
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 8057 times
Been liked: 4299 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by jeremyb »

I thought you were making a really tiny guitar until I realised that was a tape measure on it :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8981
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 1134 times
Been liked: 1462 times

Re: Jays' BBs

Post by robthemac »

Jay wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:07 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:00 pm Semi-hollow Tele time?
I am dreaming about another Duovette (big red in your terminology), one flat and one with an arched top. One semi-hollow Tele and one solid with a pancake body. It's going to take me forever to accomplish that :lol:
I have such a soft spot for that guitar.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Post Reply