MBG
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 10 times

Explorer / Strat hybrid

Post by MBG »

Since my last project was a strat/tele hybrid which came out pretty well in my opinion, I am now getting a bit more adventurous and hoping to blend strat and explorer designs together. I've started with the CAD sketches (see below), and although I like how the lines flow, it'll likely need some wood in place of "upper horn" in order to prevent it from neck dives. How'd you people rate it - yay or nay? Any advices on how to increase the amount of wood above the neck joint but still make it flow nicely?

Winging it since '86 :roll:

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Explorer / Strat hybrid

Post by Jay »

Some suggestions for balancing...
Use a denser wood for body
Shorter scale
Shorter headstock with tuners 4 by 2 or 3 by 3
Open tuners
Rout for steel insert in body tail to support post build balancing
Carbon truss rod instead of steel
Build a prototype first
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Take some inspiration from these shapes on how to get more wood in the top horn?

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I'm no physicist but wouldn't a very small change to the angle of the rear bout create a lot more leverage than adding mass to the upper horn?

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

Oh and the reverse hockey puck headstock is way cooler than the Ibanez one.

MBG
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MBG »

jimi wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:21 pm Take some inspiration from these shapes on how to get more wood in the top horn?

Most likely I'll do something similar to the upper one. I got a suggestion to do something like this, think I'm liking it!
Image[/url]

MBG
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MBG »

JHorner wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:54 pm I'm no physicist but wouldn't a very small change to the angle of the rear bout create a lot more leverage than adding mass to the upper horn?

Hmmmm, I guess I could try something like that. :think: thanks for the suggestion! :thumbup:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Cool project! I'd be surprised with an explorer style body you get neck dive, I'd be more expecting it to lift too high, but some careful selection of strap button position might be enough to counter that :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MBG
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MBG »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:59 am Cool project! I'd be surprised with an explorer style body you get neck dive, I'd be more expecting it to lift too high, but some careful selection of strap button position might be enough to counter that :-)
The sketch is a bit deceiving, Explorer has these large bodies whereas this one is much smaller. Once you overlie a strat or tele body contours over this, then you realize how small it actually is.

Very soon I'll try and mod my workbench into jigsaw/bandsaw platform, and then record the progress of this project in this topic.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

MBG wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:28 pm
JHorner wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:54 pm I'm no physicist but wouldn't a very small change to the angle of the rear bout create a lot more leverage than adding mass to the upper horn?

Hmmmm, I guess I could try something like that. :think: thanks for the suggestion! :thumbup:
The issue with that is the rear strap lock also moves back, shifting the CG back and making the issue worse. Would need to be more rear weight and the strap point moved forward or same.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

Optical wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:10 am
MBG wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:28 pm

The issue with that is the rear strap lock also moves back, shifting the CG back and making the issue worse. Would need to be more rear weight and the strap point moved forward or same.
If the strap button is at the center line, isn't the leverage of the bout still massively increased?

/I have never owned an explorer

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Not really, the CG of the guitar moves - see the LTD snakebite for example of one approach to figuring this out by shaping the back edge to move the button toward the bridge. Explorers are dicks with where the weight is centered. They'll dive or tip if you get it wrong