Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Nitro spraying advice

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:46 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:12 pm Changed my pressure to a lot higher and it worked a treat. Sprayed a matching headstock about two weeks ago. Sanded it up today, and it's pretty much a perfect mirror finish even before buffing and polishing. It's so thin that it's checking already!
Nice even spray work is so good to achieve. Kudos on the thinner/nitro mix! Clearly you're not in the Waikato with 78% humidity.

Re aged lacquer "cracks", it's good you got some already. But somewhat against instinct, lacquer needs some depth to pull away from itself as it shrinks. Otherwise it heals! I'd be doin' the 10 coats clear on a 3-6 coat base (all thin, but wet and even), and once crispy, look for the checkin'
It's probably more humid up here :lol:

I'm doing a lot more colour coats than that, probably 8-10. But super, super thin.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Cool thread.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

GrantB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:48 pm Bursts require some finesse on the delivery that's hard to articulate from a keyboard...best I can say is its like you're aiming for the centre of the guitar from way out past the edge, and 50% of the spray hits perpendicular to the edge, and the rest feathers outs over the flat...and you follow the profile of the outside edge.

Reg, I'm not sure how you'd use stain for a burst. If you want a dark lemon to a clear/amber, use how I described and burst it. Takes many many coats of fine spray - altho Fender didn't...they were sloppy. Couple of squirts of the dark, and bam.

This is nitro, shot only with either amber or amber and tint (brown). True two tone burst. You can achieve a lemon burst like this. Happy to help.
Appreciate your input a lot on this, cheers!
I can imagine what your describing for the technique, but will be some trial and error no doubt.
I have a Tele body blank to practice on but the actual guitar is a double cut LP that the other Grant is half way through building for me. So just to get my plan for a test run sorted, best way to do a 2 tone lemon burst would be sealer coats first, then spray some lemon/amber coats to achieve the desired overall body colour, then more clear coats? Then spray the brown burst around the edge.
Then more clear/tinted top coats.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

clubhouse wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:07 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:48 pm Bursts require some finesse on the delivery that's hard to articulate from a keyboard...best I can say is its like you're aiming for the centre of the guitar from way out past the edge, and 50% of the spray hits perpendicular to the edge, and the rest feathers outs over the flat...and you follow the profile of the outside edge.

Reg, I'm not sure how you'd use stain for a burst. If you want a dark lemon to a clear/amber, use how I described and burst it. Takes many many coats of fine spray - altho Fender didn't...they were sloppy. Couple of squirts of the dark, and bam.

This is nitro, shot only with either amber or amber and tint (brown). True two tone burst. You can achieve a lemon burst like this. Happy to help.
Is this a refin Custom or a new build you did? Either way, it's mega! Congrats, man. One of my dream guitars on my personal, guitar/amp degustation list 8)
Ummm...if no one has said so before, a small 'dibs' from me...if I ever win lotto :lol: :thumbup:
Built / finished by me. Raw wood body (Red Alder), bound, Allparts. Musikraft flame maple neck w Brazilian Walnut board, R9 profile. Old Fender hardware, and newer Fender/VVG pickups.

My dream Tele! Fender doesn’t make it, so I did.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

GrantB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:22 pm
clubhouse wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:07 pm

Is this a refin Custom or a new build you did? Either way, it's mega! Congrats, man. One of my dream guitars on my personal, guitar/amp degustation list 8)
Ummm...if no one has said so before, a small 'dibs' from me...if I ever win lotto :lol: :thumbup:
Built / finished by me. Raw wood body (Red Alder), bound, Allparts. Musikraft flame maple neck w Brazilian Walnut board, R9 profile. Old Fender hardware, and newer Fender/VVG pickups.

My dream Tele! Fender doesn’t make it, so I did.
Nice choices, man. Inspirational. I'm bookmarking this thread now.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Appreciate your input a lot on this, cheers!
I can imagine what your describing for the technique, but will be some trial and error no doubt.
I have a Tele body blank to practice on but the actual guitar is a double cut LP that the other Grant is half way through building for me. So just to get my plan for a test run sorted, best way to do a 2 tone lemon burst would be sealer coats first, then spray some lemon/amber coats to achieve the desired overall body colour, then more clear coats? Then spray the brown burst around the edge.
Then more clear/tinted top coats.
Pretty much. Order is sealer, clear/amber all over, tinted amber using burst technique described, then clear overall

Angle at about 30 degrees …
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Anyone got a source of Aniline dyes in NZ?
And can you spray these with Nitro?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Sparkle nitro finishes: worth DIY? Or too much faff getting separate gun, agitator, learning technique etc
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:44 pm Sparkle nitro finishes: worth DIY? Or too much faff getting separate gun, agitator, learning technique etc
Don’t know. But I want a custom sparkly Mustang with a Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato, so I’m very keen for you to learn to spray some serious flake.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Starfire wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:44 pm Sparkle nitro finishes: worth DIY? Or too much faff getting separate gun, agitator, learning technique etc
Don’t know. But I want a custom sparkly Mustang with a Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato, so I’m very keen for you to learn to spray some serious flake.
It's worrying that this is exactly the level of peer pressure that will get me to do exactly what I thought was a bad idea.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Who wants to peer pressure an anonymous forumite into getting a pink-sparkle headstock to go with his white Strat?

:thumbup: :thumbup:

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Fine misty sparkle (eg Fender Firemist), or 50’s heavy flake (eg Gretsch SilverJet)?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:51 pm
Fine misty sparkle (eg Fender Firemist), or 50’s heavy flake (eg Gretsch SilverJet)?
Start with the former I guess.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:23 pm Who wants to peer pressure an anonymous forumite into getting a pink-sparkle headstock to go with his white Strat?

:thumbup: :thumbup:
How do you make a pink sparkle headstock go with a white Strat?

Given your current situation Rob, spend a moment contemplating the word 'Nappybrain". :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:12 pm
GrantB wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:51 pm
Start with the former I guess.
Then I would just ask the shop to mix it for you, or at least the base, and you add the powder last? Shop mix will be best.

Big flakes is usually applied over top of base colour in the clear. I’ve never done it, but it’s a pain from my car painting friends experience.