sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Considering a partscaster: Please im-part your knowledge

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Looking good so far. I'd be interested in what it cost to build. I looked at building a Tele last year but the price of a good body and neck combined with shipping from the USA made it pretty expensive so I gave up on the idea.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 am Looking good so far. I'd be interested in what it cost to build. I looked at building a Tele last year but the price of a good body and neck combined with shipping from the USA made it pretty expensive so I gave up on the idea.
I made the same calculations and also gave up on importing. So a forumite built me a body and neck! It looks great, I'm just waiting for the humidity to drop before I paint it and set it up. I'm sure he'll message you if you are still interested.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I went the lazy route and just ordered a guitar from Andertons :rofl:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 am Looking good so far. I'd be interested in what it cost to build. I looked at building a Tele last year but the price of a good body and neck combined with shipping from the USA made it pretty expensive so I gave up on the idea.
Sure, I was planning to do that anyway. Just compiling the costs now.
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

+Regarding the neck pocket fit:

I tried slotting it in, but it's currently *just* too tight, so I figure that's a good thing. I mean, it feels like if I really forced it it might squeeze in, but at a risk of splitting the little piece of timber on the lower part of the body (the short side) and I'd probably struggle to get it back out.

So, I reckon a little bit of sanding of the neck pocket should help it to fit nicely. I'll be careful to keep the sanding nice and square of course to not lose the shape of the pocket.

BUT, the neck won't fit into the pickguard. Wondering if this is a common issue? Can I sand the pickguard back a bit? Or is it likely just a bad shape?

Any other tips at this point greatly appreciated. I won't do the work until the weekend.
Nothing to see here.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

You can definitely sand the pickguard. It's not at all uncommon for them to need a bit of finessing to fit round the neck properly.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Re neck pocket sanding - a file will keep the sides and bottom nice and square.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Before you sand the neck, try it in some other bodies. If it is too big in those bodies, give it a sand, but if it's not, maybe sand your body instead.

The reason for doing this is, you may want to use the neck on another body at some later stage 😊

Same applies to the tilt angle ☺️
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/black-de ... t/p/184759

second time I've had to post this one today....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

realistically, it looks like theres paint on the sides of the neck pocket, I'd just try scraping that away gently with a razor blade first, might be enough.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Bg wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:45 pm realistically, it looks like theres paint on the sides of the neck pocket, I'd just try scraping that away gently with a razor blade first, might be enough.
Theres some paint, but not enough you could scrape it. The surface us just a bit rough, so I reckon just a light sand by hand (using a block) should do the trick.

I wasn't planning on sanding the actual neck. I gather thats not the done thing?
Nothing to see here.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Miza wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:39 pm
Bg wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:45 pm realistically, it looks like theres paint on the sides of the neck pocket, I'd just try scraping that away gently with a razor blade first, might be enough.
Theres some paint, but not enough you could scrape it. The surface us just a bit rough, so I reckon just a light sand by hand (using a block) should do the trick.

I wasn't planning on sanding the actual neck. I gather thats not the done thing?
Your guitar, sand whatever the fuck you want.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Here's the full breakdown of what everything cost me (so far). Doesn't take into account a pro set up (if required).
Also, I had $150 worth of Rockshop vouchers, so the case only cost me $50. That helped a bit.
All purchases were made between Sept and Dec last year, so the exchange rate might be different now.
Partscaster costs.jpg
Partscaster costs.jpg (258.25 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Nothing to see here.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

If it’s just slightly tight, I’d scrape it. But if it’s a but tighter hit it with the 80 grit ;)

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 292 times

Post by murky »

Warm the pocket up. Put the neck in the freezer for an hour. Boom - rock solid when they acclimatise back.

In all seriousness though, this is a pretty common trick when fitting two tight tolerance metal parts together.