mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: DIY guitar stand ideas

Post by mugamee »

I am in a similar situation. We will be moving into an apartment and will thus have very little storage space. I will most likely have to do away with bulky guitar cases and have since been looking at guitar racks as an option. For months this has been my preoccupation. I don't have wood working skills though and will thus need to order this somewhere.
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Delayman wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:12 am
bender wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 pm I'd rather build something of this type:
https://nz.stringswing.com/guitar-floor-rack-hardwood/
I have something similar -not wood, and i really dislike how easy it is to knock one guitar against another when you're putting them in. If i made something where the guitars go in that way i'd rather have spacers so that can't happen.

depending on the width of the part that holds the guitar neck, the guitars can pivot. I don't have any really expensive/pretty guitars but if i did i definitely wouldn't use that stand.
The one I'm currently using is pretty similar to that one, and I have no issues with my guitars knocking each other or twisting. Just a very minor finish reaction on one guitar and the annoyance of having to have the stand 25cm out from the wall so the headstocks don't hit the wall.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

mugamee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:21 am I am in a similar situation. We will be moving into an apartment and will thus have very little storage space. I will most likely have to do away with bulky guitar cases and have since been looking at guitar racks as an option. For months this has been my preoccupation. I don't have wood working skills though and will thus need to order this somewhere.
DRS stands look pretty good. I just wish there was a local dealer (or even just someone who has one) so that I can see how far the headstocks stick out.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

bender wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:12 am
Polar Bear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm
bender wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:43 pm Key question- does anyone have any advice around nitro safe padding?
Not rubber, essentially. Regular foam is all good, as per most cheap stands.
The foam on the Rockstand I currently have definitely reacts with my 335's finish.
Interesting. I’ve not had issues both at retail level and indeed home with the cheap foam options, unlike the firmer plastic options. Obviously the compound of the foam must make a difference. I note that some of those wooden options have cork in between the slots.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

mugamee wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:10 pm
bender wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 pm I'd rather build something of this type:
https://nz.stringswing.com/guitar-floor-rack-hardwood/
Check out reflex guitar on Instagram:)
Yeah, I'd seen those. The look pretty great, but are irritatingly expensive! Could me a good style to emulate though.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Polar Bear wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:19 am
Polar Bear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm

Not rubber, essentially. Regular foam is all good, as per most cheap stands.
The foam on the Rockstand I currently have definitely reacts with my 335's finish.
Interesting. I’ve not had issues both at retail level and indeed home with the cheap foam options, unlike the firmer plastic options. Obviously the compound of the foam must make a difference. I note that some of those wooden options have cork in between the slots.
You've got cork between YOUR slots.

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

Excuse the mess/crappy photos, but here's the one I built a while back. Pretty simple design, based on this sort of thing: https://myoutdoorplans.com/brags/diy-6-guitar-stand/

For padding, I butchered a yoga mat and glued it to the base boards as well as the cutouts where the necks rest, then stapled some nice felt from Spotlight overtop. Super cushy.

This was a project I did with my brother - we made identical ones. All the wood was recycled timber/skirting boards from our old mans house when it was renovated yonks ago.
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3068 times
IMG_5056.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 3068 times

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

bender wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:24 am
Polar Bear wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:19 am

You've got cork between YOUR slots.
This made me laugh way harder than it should have.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Jake wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:42 am Excuse the mess/crappy photos, but here's the one I built a while back. Pretty simple design, based on this sort of thing: https://myoutdoorplans.com/brags/diy-6-guitar-stand/

For padding, I butchered a yoga mat and glued it to the base boards as well as the cutouts where the necks rest, then stapled some nice felt from Spotlight overtop. Super cushy.

This was a project I did with my brother - we made identical ones. All the wood was recycled timber/skirting boards from our old mans house when it was renovated yonks ago.
IMG_5055.JPGIMG_5056.JPG
Thanks! That's super helpful :-)

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

How about this sort of design?

yoggo
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by yoggo »

mugamee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:21 am I am in a similar situation. We will be moving into an apartment and will thus have very little storage space. I will most likely have to do away with bulky guitar cases and have since been looking at guitar racks as an option. For months this has been my preoccupation. I don't have wood working skills though and will thus need to order this somewhere.
This was me a month or so ago - I would have been keen to build something, except I’m without a garage, and still haven’t replaced the tools I lost in the earthquake, so I ordered a Hercules 5 rack from the Rock shop, it fits four chunky gats & a strat, and could probably fit a Tele in there as well - RS sell additional neck brackets. I’d expect you could get at least 7 strat-width guitars in there if you were careful about taking them out.

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

Here’s a cheap one for sale on Facebook (in Wellington)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 909609417/

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

yoggo wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:03 pm
This was me a month or so ago - I would have been keen to build something, except I’m without a garage, and still haven’t replaced the tools I lost in the earthquake, so I ordered a Hercules 5 rack from the Rock shop, it fits four chunky gats & a strat, and could probably fit a Tele in there as well - RS sell additional neck brackets. I’d expect you could get at least 7 strat-width guitars in there if you were careful about taking them out.
Good to know! Can you post a pic of it in profile so I can see how upright the guitars are?

yoggo
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by yoggo »

bender wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:58 am
yoggo wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:03 pm
Good to know! Can you post a pic of it in profile so I can see how upright the guitars are?
Looks something like this - there’s more overhang out the back than I was hoping for - I think there was something advertised on the RS website that claimed to be able to go hard against the wall, but it cost heaps.
Attachments
707E46C8-6BFB-46FE-8A8B-B68279A94F29.jpeg
707E46C8-6BFB-46FE-8A8B-B68279A94F29.jpeg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 2850 times
957428D1-FAC5-4FC0-B864-EC073222AEAC.jpeg
957428D1-FAC5-4FC0-B864-EC073222AEAC.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2850 times

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »