Introducing Number 25...a bass!

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1362
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Beta Canum Venaticorum
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Introducing Number 25...a bass!

Post by Lawrence »

Lostininverness wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:49 pm Willing to share where you got the maple top from???
Firstly - thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Lostininverness: I bought the maple top from Stewmac. I usually wait till there is a sale...and i have the free shipping membership so it works out OK. I think from memory that top cost me about $150
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 131 times

Re: Introducing Number 25...a bass!

Post by Lostininverness »

Lawrence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:00 pm
Lostininverness wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:49 pm Willing to share where you got the maple top from???
Firstly - thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Lostininverness: I bought the maple top from Stewmac. I usually wait till there is a sale...and i have the free shipping membership so it works out OK. I think from memory that top cost me about $150
How was the quality when it arrived? My concern with ordering timber from the states is having it warp/cup while in transit. Did you let it settle for a while before using?

User avatar
Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1362
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Beta Canum Venaticorum
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Introducing Number 25...a bass!

Post by Lawrence »

Lostininverness wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:36 pm
Lawrence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:00 pm
Lostininverness wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:49 pm Willing to share where you got the maple top from???
Firstly - thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Lostininverness: I bought the maple top from Stewmac. I usually wait till there is a sale...and i have the free shipping membership so it works out OK. I think from memory that top cost me about $150
How was the quality when it arrived? My concern with ordering timber from the states is having it warp/cup while in transit. Did you let it settle for a while before using?
It came sealed in heavy plastic -unjointed of course but sanded flat to 120. I open the plastic when they arrive and it probably sat in the garage for 6 months before I jointed it. Ive never had a warp problem. I have bought 4 tops and 4 neck blanks from Stewmac and Ive been very happy with all of them.
I actually hold locally sourced wood longer as its typically not as dry...Ive been using mahogany and sapele body blanks from timber I bought 5 years ago. Ive currently got some Cedar up on the shelf for bodies as well.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 131 times

Re: Introducing Number 25...a bass!

Post by Lostininverness »

Lawrence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:55 pm
Lostininverness wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:36 pm
Lawrence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:00 pm

Firstly - thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Lostininverness: I bought the maple top from Stewmac. I usually wait till there is a sale...and i have the free shipping membership so it works out OK. I think from memory that top cost me about $150
How was the quality when it arrived? My concern with ordering timber from the states is having it warp/cup while in transit. Did you let it settle for a while before using?
It came sealed in heavy plastic -unjointed of course but sanded flat to 120. I open the plastic when they arrive and it probably sat in the garage for 6 months before I jointed it. Ive never had a warp problem. I have bought 4 tops and 4 neck blanks from Stewmac and Ive been very happy with all of them.
I actually hold locally sourced wood longer as its typically not as dry...Ive been using mahogany and sapele body blanks from timber I bought 5 years ago. Ive currently got some Cedar up on the shelf for bodies as well.
Cool. Its good to know what your experiences have been like. I've bought most of my fretboards from them, and a sipo mahogany neck blank for my very first build! I might need to check them out a bit more seriously when they have one of their timber sales.

Post Reply