Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Truss rod fix...

Post by Bg »

Ok, I have truss rod issues. refretting my Ash custom went well but the bloody trussrod is a single acting one. Its also cracked the wood around the top where the nut fastens. That was probably my fault about 10 years back when it needed a tweek, I gave it a good pull just on the nut without putting weight onto the neck to help it. My bad :(

So. Choices.

1/ Try and find a socket that actually fits the fucking nut, thanks Adrian, its not metric. Oh and its brass as well so its a pig to try and remove without being able to get an actual socket onto it - the groove is way to shallow.

2/ Saying fuck it, heating up the fingerboard, removing, fixing the truss rod slot properly and fitting a double acting one, regluing the fretboard ( or a new one )

3/ Saying fuck it, consigning it to the pile of maybe one day I'll get round to it and re-using all hardware in a new build.

Option 3 is currently my favourite. But 2 is an option as maybe I want to do more luthiery work in the future. Option 4 would be just to ignore it like I have for probably a year or three now.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Truss rod fix...

Post by Jay »

Pics?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Option 1. Failing that, I pick option 2. Then if that fails, I pick option 3.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:10 pmPics?
I'll add a couple tomorrow
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Pick the first metric socket that fits over it, and use some cut bits of coke can to shim the nut enough for it to grip :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:26 pm Pick the first metric socket that fits over it, and use some cut bits of coke can to shim the nut enough for it to grip :)
If I could get my socket into me nuts it would be fine.... the cutout is too shallow to fit a socket into now. Its hard to explain. My socket sidewalls are too thick. Happy to grind one down to fit.

Problem is though, I need to create a workable 'forever' fix, lots of people take the nut off and fit a big washer but I really don't see that as being a long term fix.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Is that the 3xp90 one? Option 2 if the crack isn't too bad.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I have successfully used a half round chisel to enlarge a nut hole before, so I could get a socket in there...option 1 then 2.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Do you have one I can borrow :D Curry night coming up, lets make some plans!

Else I'll have to hit it with a narrow flat one and then live with the shame behind the truss rod cover....

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:55 pm Do you have one I can borrow :D Curry night coming up, lets make some plans!

Else I'll have to hit it with a narrow flat one and then live with the shame behind the truss rod cover....
Dremel?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Doh, yeah thats a definite option. Forgot I had a dremel, one of those things I don't use often but is invaluable when I remember I have one lol....

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

The whole single acting v double acting truss rod is still probably my main concern. I'll take a pic tomorrow and you'll see why.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Maybe a Gibson sized truss rod nut...
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:34 pm
Problem is though, I need to create a workable 'forever' fix, lots of people take the nut off and fit a big washer but I really don't see that as being a long term fix.
You a metal worker? Create a beautiful 'washer' that fits the channel completely and thus covers the whole of the exposed neck (end) within the channel. About 2mm thick, drops in from the top and somebody is your auntie.

Carving tools are great for enlarging the channel but I would have thought a round spanner will get in there, rather than a socket. If the channel arches up, a round spanner should get in...

I told JB, this works for me every time :D

Did I say a round spanner should get in?

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah nah, my sockets don't fit, a ring spanner is just as thick and even less turning circle

If I knew exactly what size it was, I'd take the socket to the bench grinder and make it fit. Its awkward sizing and I need to carve it out before I can actually fit a socket too it.

I think slowly hit the nail on the head, dremel away behind it and then get a socket on the bugger. Sometimes you get bogged down with stuff and the solution is staring at your bollocks.

I'm not sure the thick washer will work yet. I know its a common enough temporary fix.